Join our zoo community

Rise of golden jackals in Europe

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by DavidBrown, 15 Jan 2019.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Golden jackals are expanding their range and numbers across Europe. They are cruising into areas once occupied by wolves, although it appears that they are also coexisting with wolves in some areas.

Have any Zoochatters seen wild golden jackals? Are they present in zoos?

Rise of the Golden Jackal

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are also on the rise in European zoos. Only 11 years ago Burgers' Zoo and Rheine went to great lengths to import Golden jackals from the UAE (the imported females turned out to be African golden wolves and killed the males....) as Golden jackals were extremely rare in European zoos, though there were some in the Balkan. Nowadays they are very much on the rise. Both Burgers' Zoo and Rheine are now very successfully breeding European golden jackals and these are spreading even quicker than their wild cousins.

3. Mbwamwitu

Mbwamwitu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've seen too many to count - but I'm in India, so also likely not the target of your question.

Interesting article about a nifty species. Not sure how much value golden jackals hold as a zoo animal, since they're so widespread compared to other small canids that could use the ex-situ conservation and likely have more public appeal. But A+ as a wild species - they're always highly active and entertaining to see. I saw a pair face off against a troop of langurs once.

DavidBrown likes this.
  4. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I havenĀ“t seen one yet myself.

First they started to occur in form of roadkills or animals shot by hunters circa 15 years ago near Austrian border. At that time, they were usually misidentified as foxes. Recently, a breeding was documented near town Milovice, situated in lowlands around river Labe/Elbe northeast of Prague. Now they have easy path to spread along this river to the north to Germany and sea coast.

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On Nov. 22 2019 a Golden jackal was photographed in the province of Drenthe wit a wildlife-camera. This is the third time the species is recorded for the Netherlands, the first 2 being found in 2016 and 2017.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member