Join our zoo community

Tennessee Aquarium River giants: possible exhibit concept of the future?

Discussion in 'United States' started by DavidBrown, 1 Oct 2013.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have any Zoochatters visited the new River Giants exhibit at the Tennessee Aquarium, and if so, what do you think of it? snowleopard reviewed this aquarium in 2010, before this exhibit was built.

River Giants

In American aquariums and zoos there are almost no exhibits to my knowledge that are focussed on giant freshwater fish, beyond Amazon exhibits that often have arapaima. This seems like a potential space in which to develop an exciting theme exhibit with an important conservation message. With shows like "River Monsters" and National Geographic spotlighting the work of Zeb Hogan, there is probably more cultural awareness of these species than there ever has been.

Is anybody beyond the Tennessee Aquarium working with any exhibit plans for these species? In Asia clearly there are exhibits with these species like in the new Singapore River Safari.

2. TeamTapir223

TeamTapir223 Well-Known Member

Yes we visited this Aquarium and River Giants exhibit in summer of 2012 and thought it was very cool.

Team Tapir223

3. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I live about 45 minutes from it and I have never did a formal review of it but I recently visited the River Giants exhibit. It is very impressive. I still like Chattanooga better than Atlanta.

4. condor

condor Well-Known Member

They should consider changing the "barramundi" photo :eek:. Unfortunate as TA is one the best aquaria for freshwater. At least the barramund species page has the real thing