Join our zoo community

Riverbanks Zoo and Garden Riverbanks Zoo Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by CuseZoofan, 24 Feb 2018.

1. CuseZoofan

CuseZoofan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was able to visit the Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens on Friday February 23rd with my family while vacationing nearby in Beaufort. It was a gorgeous day compared to back home in Syracuse NY with temps in the low 80s and plenty of sun. This was also our first trip here and I have heard many good things and a few bad things about the zoo. The new(ish) entrance was really nice and quite spacious including after going through the turnstiles.
    Right upon entering the main plaza is the new Sea Lion landing which looks great with plenty of above and below water views and seating areas. It even has a nice pier theme. Also in this general area are the ARC (aquarium and reptile complex) which has a great collection of Reptiles, Amphibians and aquarium exhibits. The strengths certainly lie in the Reptile areas featuring zones based on South Carolina, the Desert/Arid climates and the Tropics. They have a large collection of venomous snakes including several Rattle snake species, Red Spitting Cobras, Gaboon Vipers, Green Mamba and more. The Topics forest section feels as humid as a real jungle and has some Amazon fish exhibits as well as false gharials. The Aquariums are nice but are pale in comparison and seem a little outdated. However there is a nice little seating area by the main tank.
    The second main building is the famous Birdhouse, which features a rainforest section, a African/America's section and the Penguins. While impressive and we'll done it was not as large as I had expected it too be. Primarily it was 6 exhibits inside and a few around the outside. Some species included Indian Rhinoceros Hornbills, Victoria Crowned Pigeons, Bali Mynahs, Troupials, Green Night Herons, Weaver birds, Birds of paradise. The Penguin exhibit features Rockhoppers, Gentoos and King Penguins.
    Other notable exhibits include renovated Otter and Grizzly Bear Exhibits, a decent sized Gorilla exhibit with some great viewing areas, Reticulated Giraffes, and Siamings and Gibbons on neighboring Islands. A few exhibits did dissapoint including the older Lion and tiger Exhibits which were too small compared to many of their newer exhibits. The African Elephant yard was also somewhat undersized. One area that appeared to need the biggest update is the Conservation Outpost which while it was undergoing routine maintenance and had no animals on display appeared to be somewhat undersized and very bland. They all had the same rock work walls and branches but not much more. While not the worst I've seen, a zoo of their stature can do so much better.
    Overall Riverbanks is a top notch zoo and I would put then in a catergory just below the best of the nation. It certainly draws a great amount of people as the zoo was quite full and even opened many "seasonal" food stands and attractions. Many exhibits we're very nice with just a few needing improvement. I would not say this is a must see zoo and one to go out of your way for but if you are within an hour or two than this would be a good choice in something to do as it's fairly easy to get too and can be a full day zoo if enjoying all the amenities. I personally will probably not be back unless visiting the area again but if I we're closer would definitely visit again.