Join our zoo community

Rosamond Gifford Zoo Rosamond Gifford Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by fkalltheway, 3 May 2009.

Tags:
  1. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Probably both, I have seen the area they are going in and there is no way it is 4 acres.

2. Phantom Gaur

Phantom Gaur Well-Known Member

I have only been to RGZ once and arrived 30 minutes before closing so I had to run around just to try to see everything. I missed some of the indoor exhibits but was impressed by the outdoor areas and the selection of animals that they had. I will be going again in a few weeks along with Utica Zoo,BuffaloZoo, and Toronto Zoo. I will try to put up some pictures after my trip.

3. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Considering they'll have 7 elephants, maybe they do have a 4 acre elephant complex, not including visitor area, in order to accommodate for all of them.

4. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

the main yard is 4 acres not including barn or off exhibit holding. if i remem ber correctly the person at the zoo told me the total area is close to 6 acres.

5. Birdman7487

Birdman7487 Well-Known Member

Hello all i have started volunteering up at RGZ again and can tell you some animal updates. So far this year we have added to our collection panamanian golden frogs, variable sunbird, a few new fish ect to the collection. We also ahve rectly seen the births of a patas monkey and a hoffmans two toed sloth. And there has been construction of the new elephant barn that will allow guests to see into the enclosure.

6. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

How far along is the barn construction?

7. Birdman7487

Birdman7487 Well-Known Member

barn construction from what i have heard (i have not seen for myself yet), has come pretty far along. The entire exhibit is due to open in june.

8. Phantom Gaur

Phantom Gaur Well-Known Member

Just went to RG this week along with Utica,Buffalo,and Toronto. I still love this zoo. A few changes(since the last time I went) were Muntjac replacing the Collared Peccary and the Reindeer replacing Yaks. As somebody else mentioned, they let people actually touch an elephant. If I had to pick a downfall, it would be the rather small lion area for three lions. As for the new elephant area, I talked to one of the elephant keepers. He said they are still shooting for a June opening and the other elephants are not back yet. For size, their outside field plus their barn did seem pretty close to the 4 acres that was mentioned. Not sure how much room behind the scenes.

9. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I posted some pictures from my trip to the zoo last Monday (5/2), including some of the new Asian Elephant Preserve. Still under construction but it's much further along than when I last saw it. The holding yards extending off the elephant barn go all the way behind the Red Panda exhibit. It's unclear to me how the yards off of the barn are divided up. In any case, all of it is a major improvement over their present exhibit.

10. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

When is Asian Elephant Preserve supposed to open?

Team Tapir

11. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This summer at some point, not sure on an exact date.

12. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

Are they hoping that Mali and Targa return pregnant? Also, they have two breeding females now, since Mali and Kirina are related to Indy, I'm guessing a AI program? OR a new bull!

Any thoughts?

13. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. blospz

According to the zoo's facebook status, Asian Elephant Preserve opens June 30th at 10 AM.

15. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Yes, Toma was born at Toronto Zoo in 2001, moved to Buffalo Zoo in 2003 and fathered cubs there as well

16. blospz

Asian Elephant Preserve grand opening at Rosamond Gifford Zoo - YNN, Your News Now

A video preview of the new Asian Elephant Preserve exhibit. The clip doesn't show a lot of devices and enrichment items for the elephants, but only a small part of their exhibit is actually shown. Going on the size of their old exhibit and the size for their new exhibit, it's an upgrade. I'd be interested in seeing more photos of the exhibit and inside their barn.

17. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

18. blospz

19. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Did he say there was nothing better than this exhibit in the last video? Its a nice exhibit, amazing for such a small zoo to be able to pull off, but not world class. Also, no protected contact?

20. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

Has anyone on here visited Elephant Preserve if so what are your thoughts?

Team Tapir