Join our zoo community

Royal Alberta Museum Royal Alberta Museum

Discussion in 'Canada' started by snowleopard, 24 Oct 2018.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

A brand-new museum has opened in Edmonton, the capital city of the Province of Alberta. Costing $375.5 million and inside an 82,000 square foot building, it is double the size of the old Royal Alberta Museum that closed down several years ago. The new facility has a Natural History Hall, a Human History Hall, a Children's Gallery, the famous Manitou Stone, a Feature Gallery (currently empty until spring 2019) and a Bug Gallery. That last section could qualify this museum as being a 'zoo', especially if there really is 200 species...although I'm a bit skeptical as that is an impressive number.

Here is an informative article about the entire museum and the link contains a great video as well:

Brand new $375.5-million Royal Alberta Museum opens its doors. Let's take a tour

This link contains a one-minute video that specifically provides a short tour of the Bug Gallery:

Royal Alberta Museum: Bug Gallery | Watch News Videos Online

This last link has photos of the invertebrate collection being moved and once again there is a reference to 200 species:

Creepy-crawly caravan: Museum bug collection on the move

2. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I plan on going to this new museum next summer if I visit Edmonton!

3. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm planning on popping by sometime in the near future, I'll be sure to report back here with results!

4. DevinL

DevinL Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If only the Edmonton Valley Zoo received that level of funding!