Join our zoo community

Rare Species Conservation Centre RSCC closing

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by nicholas, 21 Aug 2015.

1. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Like yourself, a number of people have asserted that it's impossible to run a niche collection in the UK -I disagree.

A number of collections that are niche in some way or other do manage to survive in the UK -Hamerton, British Wildlife Centre, Wildwood, Exmoor (I'd argue the lack of big ABC animals makes it niche), Five Sisters (similar rationale to Exmoor), Shaldon (ditto again, and it's tiny) plus innumerable bird of prey centres.

I'm not saying it's easy or that I know what the answers are* (they're probably different dependent on each collections circumstances) but it can be done.

That said, the situation's still a crying shame.

* though I believe some of the issues for RSCC have been mentioned on this and the RSCC thread

2. Vareciak

Vareciak Member

Hello everyone, I'm a keeper at RSCC and just wanted to say a huge thank you for the continued support. It's always been a pleasure talking to all of you that have visited. We hope you have enjoyed seeing our amazing species as much as we have enjoyed working with them

And thank you for all the nice pictures!

3. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

If anyone's interested I'm hopefully going to head up for one last visit next week, most likely Thursday. It would be good to meet any other zoochatters if anyone's looking to go that day :)

4. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hello Stubeanz

I'm going on Saturday. I just hope the zoo still has animals then.

5. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Have the tigers moved on already? Or were they just out of sight?

6. Vareciak

Vareciak Member

Both the Malayan tigers are still on site

7. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I feel sorry for the keepers I hope they can get re employed locally at one of the other collections.
    I went passed last month but decided not to call in i wish I had now, I went many years ago when the bears that are now at Colchester first arrived and the Malayan tapir area was being built.
    I think the fact so many other collections are in such close proximity can't have helped, I know there was AR pressure to get shops to stop selling the coffee beans etc that the owner was making his money from, so maybe finances became a factor

All rather sad but possibly not so unexpected with the open, closed, open occasionally set up, in the zoo world I imagine you need to have set opening hours, as even when your closed mouths have to be fed. If the general public want a day out, they will spend the money at the next zoo if yours is closed. however rare the animals you keep.

8. timmydetapir

timmydetapir Member

It is truly sad to see it close.

Does anyone know what will happen with the efforts they have made to get a fanaloka breeding program going in Europe? Will another zoo continue the effort (as they have done quite well at RSCC)? Or will Europe once again give up on said species?

I hope the closure of RSCC doesn't mean the end of some of these species in Europe..

9. stubeanz

It now looks like Wednesday will be the day I head up there, I don't know how quick animals are leaving but fingers crossed the larger stuff will still be there on Saturday :)

10. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks Stubeanz

Good luck for Wednesday.

11. Vareciak

Vareciak Member

Hi, all of the larger animals (tigers, bears, giant otters) will all still be at the centre on Saturday.

12. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is really, really sad news. I visited the first week of March at the end of my European vacation. They had pushed back the season opening to the end of March but owner Todd Dalton knew (from ZooChat) that I was coming and invited me to a private tour. It was fantastic and after a keeper tour of the entire complex I was free to photograph on my own for another hour until it was time for them to go home at 5pm. I will sorely miss visiting on any future trips across the pond.

13. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

Where will the tarsiers go? In addition, what became of those plans to import doucs I heard about?

~ Thaumatibis

14. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Might be able to visit now on Saturday, good to hear the larger animals will still be there. Will any of the smaller animals still be there then (fanaloka, echidna, rusty-spotted cat etc), or will they likely have been moved on?

15. Vareciak

Vareciak Member

As far as we know, all of the Madagascan carnivores will be staying for the moment. The echidna will still be on site.

16. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Thank you for the info, those are the species I am very keen to see! :)

17. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I'll drive down on Tuesday (tomorrow)

18. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Having booked a hotel in Sandwich for this Sunday, my wife and I are still deciding whether to visit, or re-direct our time elsewhere (Wildwood). Have been looking forward to visiting for so long, am gutted with the news.

19. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Go along anyway and see what's there and then go to Wildwood or vice versa.

20. stubeanz

Definitely visit, it's a collection that won't be seen again for a long while so I agree with Jackwow do both wildwood and RSCC.
    Shame you aren't going Wednesday Devilfish it would have been good to meet up!