Join our zoo community

Rusty spotted cat breeding program in Mumbai

Discussion in 'India' started by Mbwamwitu, 21 Jan 2019.

1. Mbwamwitu

Mbwamwitu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Call of the wild: SGNP to take expert help from UK to breed smallest wild cats

I was birding at the Sanjay Gandhi NP two days ago and didn't realize there were rusty spotted cats in the zoo/safari park there. It's advertised as a lion-and-tiger safari so I gave it a pass. Doubt they're on show but hoping to make the trip again one of these weekends and find out.

There's been an unsuccessful rusty spotted cat program at the park for a few years now, it seems. But two new cats (rescues) were added to the gene pool last year so hope is high with these Port Lympne experts. I'm new to snooping around Indian zoos but I'll try to ask around and find out more.

Arizona Docent and FunkyGibbon like this.
  2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

A regular Indian member is a really welcome addition to the site!

3. Mbwamwitu

Mbwamwitu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'll do my best! I'm inexperienced with the zoo world in India and still quite busy adjusting to being here but a return to SGNP and snoop-around to Mumbai Zoo are high on the agenda.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If they could breed the Indian race of rusty spotted cat that would be fantastic. As far as I know, all of the rusty spotted cats in European zoos are the Sri Lanka race. (Sadly there are none at all in North America).