Join our zoo community

Sacramento Zoo Sacramento Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 14 Nov 2012.

1. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last edited: 22 Aug 2019
  2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I rather like this one! Have to say though, the giraffes look a bit wacky. Also I'm fairly certain they don't keep either snake sitting atop the reptile house (points for the rhino iguana though). I also happen to recognize CollectA's Red River Hog model! :p Nonetheless, I think it's a very good map of the zoo.

StoppableSan and Hipporex like this.
  3. Hipporex

I spent this weekend up in Sacramento for my Zoo Teen training. I had a blast. Anywho I learned and saw many things so here is what I can share:
    • The zoo has a new animal ambassador (new as in it came to the zoo just last week): a cane toad name, and I kid you not, "Citizen Kane Poloka"
    • The flamingo chick is a boy. A naming contest was held on Instagram and the winning name should be announced later this week.
    • This is the current state of the former burrowing owl and magpie habitats.
    • On some days, one okapi stays inside while the other gets access to both yards.
    • The reason there is a gate between the aardvarks and the meerkats is because someday, in the distant future, the zoo may chose to mix the two.
    • The bongos are rotated between the big exhibit and the smaller exhibit (the one that held the hogs when they first came to the zoo). Dad bongo gets the smaller exhibit by day and gets the big yard at night. Mom bongo and Taylor Swift are always in whichever dad bongo isn't.
    • Chinese stripe-necked turtle are back on exhibit.
    Animals that are currently off exhibit:
    • Blue poison dart frog (haven't seen in last couple visits so likely gone)
    • Blue tree monitor (has been taken off zoo website so definitely gone)
    • Chinese crocodile lizard (exhibit still under construction)
    • Curlyhair tarantula (is gone in one of two exhibits)
    • Greater roadrunner (but I was told the zoo still has them)
    • Green tree python (haven't seen in last couple visits so likely gone)
    • Madagascar tree boa (exhibit apparently under construction)
    • Pacific gopher snake (is gone in one of two exhibits)
    • Plumed basilisk (exhibit still under construction)
    • Sambava tomato frog (haven't seen in last couple visits so likely gone)
    • Sidewinder (has been taken off zoo website so perhaps gone?)
    • Southern lion (only "major" animal off exhibit, exhibit still under construction)
    • Tanzanian tailless whipscorpion (haven't seen in last couple visits so likely gone)
    • Western pond turtle (is gone in one of two exhibits)
    I suspect some of the "absences" in the reptile house have to do with clearing space for the new species from the LA Zoo @Great Argus reported a week or two ago

Also from now on I will end all my posts on this thread with this statement just to be safe: The opinions expressed in this post are those of "Hipporex." They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of the Sacramento Zoo or any of its affiliates.

Last edited: 26 Aug 2019
  4. Hipporex

I forgot to link this with my post yesterday but I like to keep an updated list of all the species at the zoo. This list only includes animals that the zoo have publicly announced being in their collection, I have been given permission to talk about, or that your average Joe could find out about by doing some Googling.
    (FYI: AA means the species is an animal ambassador and AA + PD means the species is an animal ambassador but is also on display)
    Sacramento Zoo Species List

5. Great Argus

Names don't come much worse than that do they... Cane Toad isn't exactly a novel species either.

At that rate they should have just kept the Fennecs and kept the exhibit open... :p

Poison Frog, monitor, python, tomato frog, and sidewinder are all pretty certainly gone, I agree. No luck with them either in the last several visits. Tree boa and basilisk both were on exhibit when I went at the end of July. Looks like they're putting a lot of work in the reptile house recently.

Roadrunners due to Thick-billed Parrot breeding season maybe? My hypothesis anyway.

You neglected to put an "AA" after Kinkajou, but otherwise looks great! Their species list seems to have been in decline as of recent...

6. Hipporex

I agree. A little background: Apparently one keeper wanted Citizen Cane and another wanted Poloka (which is Hawaiian for "frog"). Rather than choosing one or they other they just combined the two. Also, It was stated the name might change. Like I said it's new.
    I agree. I think if the zoo wanted meerkats they should of built a completely new exhibit next to the African birds aviaries or put them in where the N.A. river otters are and moved the otters to what is currently the "Zoo's Backyard" garden.

Also here are two more things:
    • I discovered a colony of brown rats has made itself home in the flamingo pond, on the side closest to the reptile house.
    • Also here is a video by "San Diego Zoo Kids" on Coconut the snow leopard:

The opinions expressed in this post are those of "Hipporex." They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of the Sacramento Zoo or any of its affiliates.

7. Great Argus

Totally agree. That would have been far better in my opinion.

Not exactly new news... I have seen rats many a time around the pond. Also have noted we very rarely hear of any whistling duck chicks, nor anything else other than flamingo, which are all pulled. Considering I've seen duck nests more than once, I have my suspicions... along with rarer species leaving many years ago...

8. Hipporex

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. Elephants and Alligators

Elephants and Alligators Member 5+ year member

surprised nobody's linked this article here. it's actually a really intresting read!

A New Breed of Zoo

Hipporex and StoppableSan like this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are these not the typical ramblings of an increasingly out-of-touch society that thinks zoos are stuck in a timewarp. It seems to me more like those writing these treatises are stuck in a wonderland without any real concrete understanding of what modern and accredited zoos are about in today's dag and age.

Equally I wonder how those writing these are seemingly out of touch and out on limb to the reality and the urgency to change our basic patterns of behavior and reconnect with nature and environment. In an increasingly urban environment people seem to have become disjointed from the natural environment that surrounds us.

Why starting UC vet academy students and staff would be better equipped than today's zoo managers' with umpteenth years of experience in the zoo and entertainment industry at managing and dreaming up new concepts of zoos is beyond me entirely.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  11. Hipporex

• New species in reptile house: Smallwood anole (Anolis smallwoodi)
    • Western screech owl has been taken off website
    • Plumed basilisk back on exhibit
    • Western pond turtle back in both exhibits
    • Dinosaurs (and the Pteranodon) are "in the house." As I expected in terms of scientific accuracy the models, animatronics, and even signage are at about a Jurassic Park level
    • Lion exhibit looks basically done so expect them to be back on exhibit any time now
    I'll be there again tomorrow so expect more updates if I learn anything else new that I can share

Great Argus and StoppableSan like this.
  12. Great Argus

Haven't seen Smallwood's Anole before, that'll be nice. They still working on the very first exhibit and the Chinese Crocodile Lizard?

The Screech owl had been there as long as I can remember, probably passed away. Only animal ambassador I have never seen to my recollection. :(

It will be nice to have the lions back on exhibit, was looking good last I saw it.

Dinosaurs... meh.

13. Hipporex

Construction appears to have stalled on both.

14. Great Argus

Figures. :p Wonder why.

15. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

It's an interesting read, but not a proposal I think I could endorse. I would have liked to hear details on some of those proposals forwarded at this "Coexist" competition and why they should be seriously considered. As is stands, I would rather have New Sac Zoo's 12-hippo strong exhibit.

At the same time this post is treading towards an over reliance on credentials and a top-down style of management. I've known a fair amount of bad managers over the years, and I'm sure they exist throughout zoos too. Garbage in, garbage out as the saying goes. Despite the hundreds of years of experience en total amongst today's management corps I don't think we've seen a truly innovative way of exhibiting animals. And no, the moving of hippos from swimming pools to replicated riverine systems is not innovative.

But that's a tangent for another time. Good ideas can come from anywhere. Despite my lack of proper credentials, I know I have the baseline knowledge to create a good multi species exhibit. Especially a rainforest exhibit. In a flat management structure I would take that knowledge and enlist experts in whatever field to build upon that knowledge.

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sacramento Zoo followers, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the zoo's chimpanzees. From what I've found online, the zoo has five chimpanzees. Joey is the star of their troop, with him being the only chimp I can find in the news and on all of Sacramento's social media pages. I also read online that 0.1 Mojo and 1.0 Pablo also live at the zoo, with their mother being Missy, a female that passed away a few years back. I cannot find out for sure if Mojo and Pablo are still at the zoo, with the other two chimps of the supposed five being a complete mystery. Any help would be appreciated!

17. Great Argus

Lion exhibit renovation is completed, and Kamau and Cleo are back on exhibit.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  18. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great news. There is a good chance I will make my first visit to this zoo in one week.

Great Argus likes this.
  19. Great Argus

Anything in particular draw you there or just happen to be in the area?

20. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am passing through Sacramento on my way back to San Jose Airport. I want to see the jaguar specifically.

Great Argus likes this.