Join our zoo community

Safari-Zoo Mallorca versus Zoo-Safari Mallorca

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Jonas Livet, 18 Jan 2020.

1. Jonas Livet

Jonas Livet Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hello all,

Planning a short trip to Mallorca end of January I am currently doing some additional research about the safari on Mallorca.

I have been informed that there was actually two safaris more or less at the same location in Sant Llorenç des Cardassar (sometimes called Sa Coma) with the first one opened in 1969 by Hermann Ruhe Jr and the current one owned by the family Mentz (who took ownership or opened theirs around 1990). Ruhe may have actually made the move between the two locations as the Zoo-Safari Mallorca is supposed to have closed around 1984 and the current Safari-Zoo Mallorca opened around 1984... or maybe Ruhe closed his place and sold the animals to Siegfried Mentz that was preparing to open a new safari in the surroundings?!

Other names used for these places were Auto Safari Baby Zoo Mallorca or Safari-Zoo Mentz.

Anyway, do you have any clue? any historical information? eventually old maps to compare the two places?

The road system of the old place Zoo-Safari Mallorca seems still to exist nowadays. Check picture below.

Mallorca Safari.JPG

I am looking forward to hearing your feedback on this and to trying to recover together the history of these two places.

Best regards,

Jonas

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What I know: Zoo-Safari opens in 1969. It has two areas: one that can be visited by car and another that is visible on foot (the latter called Baby Zoo). It was located on rented land. It seems that an agreement is not reached with the owner of the land, and closes around 1984. On that same date it opens elsewhere, just 300 meters from the previous one. Now it is called Safari Zoo Mallorca.
    Situation: Zoo-Safari (1969-circa 1984) was on the right bank of the Road from Porto Cristo to Son Servera, in the municipality of Sa Coma. Safari Zoo Mallorca is located on the left bank of the same road, later in the direction of Son Servera.