Join our zoo community

Safaripark Beekse Bergen Safaripark Beekse Bergen

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Swedish Zoo Fan, 24 Jun 2008.

1. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

Hi! I'm going too see three zoos in the Netherlands this summer. I'm gonna see Artis, Blijdorp and Beekse Bergen. And i would be pleased if someone could tell me more about Beekse Bergen. Please!! :)

2. Hupie

Hupie Well-Known Member

I can:)

Safaripark Beekse Bergen, the lagerst zoo in the BeNeLux and top 3 of Europe.
    The park began as a lionpark, this year exactly 40 years ago. Later on giraffe, rhino's and elephants moved to Hilvarenbeek. It is famou by the big savannah area's and big groups of animals.

You can visist the park by foot, boat, own car and safaribus. It is imposible to do them all at one day.

I prescribe the Safari with car/bus:

[​IMG]
    First you go in the large Grant zebra exhibith. They live together with, Blue gnu‘s(more than 20 animals)gemsbok, waterbuck, Impala’s and African Forest Buffalo's.

Now you come in the Cheeta area. Cheeta's walk around you car and you have an overvieuw to the rhino savannah. You can also see the cheeta seperate parts(4). They have also 4 Acinonyx jubatus soemmeringii.

In the woodpart you can see in one exibith: Turkmenian Makhor, Kulan, Red deer, banteng, Nilgai and wite-necked cranes.

On the next lagere grass place you see camels, yaks, Przewalski horses and Japanees Sikadeers.The makhors are also here, the can leave the woodpart onde the barrier.

You can park your car and walk into the park, or go further with your car.

You fallow the way ,again to the wood were you find Thorold's deer, Japanees Sikadeer, Sarus cranes and Père David's Deer.
    On the next steppe , their live Persian gazelle, onager, Fallow Deer(mesopatian).

Untill 2006 you can drive between the lions, but visitors thought lions are not dangerous. Some step out the car to take a picture. Now you drive higer and you have a vieuw over the exhibith. The male lions are Somalion lions.

[​IMG]
    The last African part has 16 Rotschilgiraffes, Grevy zebra’s, Giant Sable Antelopes and Greater kudu’s. Now you drive to the parking but you first go to the Australion part wit emu‘s, red kangaroes and bennet walabys.

3. safariman

safariman Well-Known Member

This week elephant Erna went to Warschau. Djomba is being introduced to the other females.

Rhino Nel was put to sleep because she had a very painfull wound on a hind feet that didn't cure. Next week an other rhino is exchanged with Whispnade. Maybe another cow carries a calf.

4. safariman

Only gorillas can display hairy torso in this Dutch zoo

Hilvarenbeek – The Beekse Bergen safari park in Hilvarenbeek became the first zoo in the Netherlands to introduce a dress code where all visitors have to be fully-clothed.

The zoo has posted notices saying: "As of 1 August the only ones in the park allowed to display naked hairy torsos will be our four male gorillas."

According to AD, the motto for the campaign is "Only female gorillas are impressed by hairy chests".

Due to the warm weather, many male visitors have been walking around the park stripped to the waist. The safari park has since received a lot of complaints.

A spokesman for the zoo said that visitors who are semi-clothed will not be asked to leave or fined. Instead, they will be directed to the souvenir shop, where t-shirts are on sale.

The spokesman added the park has always had a policy of discouraging male visitors from walking around without at least a shirt or t-shirt as it is a family attraction. It is now merely enforcing the rule "in a light-hearted and friendly manner".

De Volkskrant reports the spokesman saying: "This is a safari park for families with small children; they don't need to be confronted by bare-chested men".

AD reports jokingly that the safari park's website said it was forced to impose the dress code because "all the beer bellies and hairy chests of the shirtless men were frightening the giraffes, gorillas and lions".

Radio Netherlands / Expatica

-;)

5. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

Great idea, more zoo's, attractions and places should do that. Some people are not really an eyecatcher if they are barely clothed...

But it is more an rule that influences us (the visitors) that the animals...
    But the safaripark has the right to ask it, when you enter the domain, you automatical have approved there parkrules...

6. Hupie

Hupie Well-Known Member

Yesterday there was a baby-boom in Safaripark Beekse Bergen. They found a female giraffe baby in the stable en later that day a giraffe gave birt to a another baby. Both are females and they now have 0.16 Rothschildgiraffes

[​IMG]

7. safariman

This morning a rhino gave birth. It's the first F1 rhino breeding herself here. Everything goes well, calf drunk and mother is relaxed.

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When do the Chimpanzees go to Edinburgh Zoo?

9. safariman

Preparing the paperwork so... can take a while, they don't work so hard in The Haque, you know..:D

10. Sneeuwpanter

Sneeuwpanter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know anything about the status of the hippo enclosure and more species like kudu's and bongo's. I heared they din't get the building permit because there were already to many animals per hectare according to their license (something to do with manure limits).

But the number of animals went down from 1500 to 1250 and i heared the were gonna relocate some animals to the new to built bungalow park so you can literally sleep between the animals

11. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Female white Rhino "Makoubu" (Whipsnade born) has given birth to her first calf. The young male came earlier then expected, but is doing fine, just like it's mother. Father is the resident male Miguelin and it was a completely natural birth.

12. Jola

Jola Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Female cheetah Farida was transferred to Vienna early this week. Farida arrived safely here and she is doing fine. She was just a bit upset, when she wanted to go for a longer walk and the electric fence said stop ...

13. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

14. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

1 of 2 new holders for the species in 2013!!Will not say the second as the collection themselves haven't broke the news yet!

15. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

I believe Okapi will also appear in Madrid next year.

16. zoogiraffe

Thats not the collection I have heard!

17. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

I understood that. I believe you were talking about some kind of British Zoo.
    I also know that some portuguese, spanish and italian zoos have okapies in their plans.

18. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The waiting list is long although there will be some moving around now Rotterdam (temporarly) stops keeping Okapis. When the new lion enclosure is ready and then the new Okapi one as well, they will start keeping them again.

19. zoogiraffe

I never said it was a British collection getting them,in fact for the record its not a British Zoo that is the other collection that I have heard is getting them,as for British collections I can think of atleast 5 that have approached the studbook for keeping them and one,that told Anthony Sheridan the author of What Zoos Can Do,that they were getting them within 5 tears despite the fact they hadn't even approached the studbook about getting them and in fact still haven't!!

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1.0 White Rhino born on 6th December to female, Mazumba (Blair Drummond's first born from 2007) Calf is healthy and has been named Bruno

Other major births/hatchings during 2012 included: Red Panda, Goliath Herons, Grevy Zebra, Black Footed Penguins and Painted Dogs
    Google Translate

Last edited: 21 Jan 2013