Join our zoo community

Saigon Safari Park Planned

Discussion in 'Vietnam' started by Peter Dickinson, 21 Jan 2010.

1. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

It is good news to learn that Ho Chi Minh City is planning a Safari Park especially as it is stated that it will be dedicated to "multiplying rare and valuable species of fauna and flora to contribute to the country’s efforts of environmental conservation". It really would be different if it was to hold only S.E. Asian flora and fauna, but I fear it will not.

Situated as it is in the Cu Chi district it will already have a tourist audience as they already visit other features in the area. As a safari park (I note that the article says that these are sometimes known as a wildlife park...but I don't think so) I do hope it is not modelled on Chiang Mai Night Safari in Thailand, Bangkok Safari World in Thailand, or Koh Kong Safari World in Cambodia, all of which do nothing at all for conservation. Come on Saigon....be different!

2. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

do you know they still have that got aweful zoo in saigon botanic gardens peter?

3. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

Saigon Zoo

Yes Phoenix, Saigon Zoo is still there and in terms of Asian zoos I found it to be one of the better ones. They don't lack the expertise and do care, just lack the cash but you are right there is a lot which could be improved. I have visited three times over the years. The really bad major zoo in Vietnam is the one in Hanoi....that really was a mess. I have heard that they are curently restructuring it.