Join our zoo community

Saint Louis Zoo Saint Louis Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by TinoPup, 4 Jan 2018.

1. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited for the first time since 2012 and it was the first time I didn't go through an entire zoo - almost half of it in fact. Some of the animals were off exhibit, the biggest one being the chimpanzees. Overall the animals weren't cooperative but in the coming months I'll walk you through the newer Grizzly Ridge/Polar Bear Point, River's Edge, the Antelope yards, Primate House, and the big ones, Penguin & Puffin Coast and the award winning Sea Lion Sound. Despite a disappointing visit, it still sits as my all time favorite zoo.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2018
    StoppableSan, MKE Zoo guy and jayjds2 like this.
  3. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

StoppableSan and birdsandbats like this.
  4. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. Daktari JG

200th Speke's gazelle born at St Louis

Blog

6. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Sea Lion Sound
    at the Saint Louis Zoo

"Designed to Fulfill Your Imagination"

The Saint Louis Zoo, as stated in the video, is the forefront of historical significance in the zoological world. A park that sets itself away from others by displaying some of the world's lesser known animals through their hoofstock and reptile collection. Conserving animals may be their number one priority but another thing that makes the Saint Louis Zoo one of a kind is their ability to also conserve the past. They've been able to maintain the physical remnants of historical walls that have aged for nearly a century - and utilize them exactly how they were when they first opened. The Flight Cage (1904), Primate House (1925), Herpetarium (1927), and Bird House (1930) still stand strong on the same meadow - creating the Historic Hill. However, there is one attraction of that hill that is not of their era - The Sea Lion Sound. A newer attraction with such a simple concept, yet it was executed so well that it's been awarded twice. Once by the AZA for being the Best Exhibit in 2013, and also voted by zoo fanatics for being the Best Exhibit in 2018 through USA Today. The main exhibit is often referred to as the Sea Lion Landing - which a majority of it is made up of a spacious pool that's nearly 150 ft long and varies in depth. As the declining path follows the deeper side of the pool, it eventually takes you to the Underwater Cove - a 30 foot long panel that gives a spectacular view of their world beneath the surface. If it's such a straightforward design, then why all the attention? When this one and half acre complex opened in 2012, it became the first exhibit in North America to allow Sea Lions to swim over your head as you walk through a 35 foot underwater tunnel. The Sea Lion Sound is clearly a haven to all pinnipeds, and was designed to fulfill your own imagination.

sooty mangabey likes this.
  7. Daktari JG

8. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Last edited: 12 Sep 2018
    Coelacanth18 and birdsandbats like this.
  9. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. Daktari JG

They had a 330 acre farm donated a while back (like 15-20 years ago)
    but they never really did anything with it- I don't know any details

11. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’ve been trying to follow this land grabbing thing that the zoo is on. Have they made any plans for the office building the bought last year? How is that land going to be put to use and will it be affected by this new property?

12. Daktari JG

They haven't announced any final plans for the former hospital space.
    Its only 14 acres but one possibility is to use it for parking (which would require a multi story garage and then convert the south parking lot to exhibit space- but that will require some serious coin. I would guess most likely it will be
    used for office or storage or small animal breeding, but I doubt it will make any difference to the north county land.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

14. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I made my first trip to the St. Louis Zoo in... 15 years last weekend. The last time I was here the penguin house had just been announced. I don't think construction had begun; just a large banner announcing its impending arrival. That, locals flicking their cigarette butts into the enclosures, and the monkey house on the hill are my three lasting memories of that trip.

This trip? It's certainly not the best zoo in America. I've been mulling it over and I don't think it would rank in my Top 5. That whole River's Edge complex? I'm torn between it being a misstep and an absolute, unmitigated disaster. Very little of it feels like a riverine environment.

The new exhibits are certainly nice, and they have a great selection of merchandise in their gift shops.

Of note: the zoo's macaws have been shipped to the Sedgwick Zoo as of March. The female had become an escape artist. They're supposed to have some outdoor space and better husbandry.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2018
    StoppableSan likes this.
  15. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What did you think of the elephant facility? This was one of the first ones to be as immersive as possible, with no barriers but moats and in a forest environment. I agree somewhat with your sentiment in that I find the rockwork (save for the Missouri portion) looks very hokey. If they had Woodland Park quality rocks (Gorillas/Wetlands/Asian Primates/African Savanna) I'd be singing a different tune. Or maybe Cemrock could work their magic.

16. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, I've been toying with the idea of dual elephant yards at opposite ends of the park; a byway would connect the them allowing the elephants to stroll between the two.* I haven't put any details in, but there could be a feeding station and other exhibits worked into it.

* -- Any zoo. Not St. Louis specifically.

Unfortunately, Raja was behind the scenes, and I only got a quick glimpse from that damnable train. Overall though, I thought it was fine. I'd revise it, but I would take it. Hippo Harbor, too. You'd need to redesign that overlook due to its limited/terrible viewing. They have a nice size pool otherwise; maybe do something with the land area too.

I think that one of my biggest complaints is that very few of the animals in the River's Edge I would equate with a riverine system. Most belong in an African savanna. The whole thing should be glassed in a la Paris Zoo to make a real corker of an exhibit.

For example, take the jaguar out of Big Cat Country and plop him into this revised habitat where he can display those adaptations that make jaguars uniquely suitable to a riverine environment. The jaguar and the (currently on display) capybara could be the core of your South American section.

Or some of the larger birds could be allowed free flight within the dome, and allow the original birdhouse to focus on smaller species in larger habitats. I don't know how you manage to house a Bateleur eagle in something the size of a large refrigerator (even if I am appreciative of being able to get up close).

StoppableSan and Jambo like this.
  17. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What? Surely not? I've only ever heard good things about the bird house and garden at St Louis and this doesn't seem to match with those opinions! :eek:

18. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The bird house and gardens at St. Louis are mostly great, but there are a few enclosures in the house that aren't so great, in particular the Red-Legged Seriema and Bateleur enclosures. Neither of them are very big (but both are certainly larger than a refrigerator).

Brum likes this.
  19. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's one thing I'm struggling with; if you have a bird house and a garden then why shove eagles and seriemas inside and not in outdoor enclosures. Neither bird is exactly a delicate little passerine... ;)

Last edited: 16 Oct 2018
    ThylacineAlive likes this.
  20. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No idea.