Join our zoo community

Salisbury Zoo Salisbury zoo news

Discussion in 'United States' started by jusko88, 15 Dec 2012.

1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana and AmbikaFan like this.
  2. TinoPup

3. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. TinoPup

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. TinoPup

8. TinoPup

Finally, an article on why the zoo lost AZA accreditation and what its plans are going forward.
    What it means for Salisbury Zoo animals after national accreditation lost

"The Salisbury Zoological Park burst into public conversation recently after reports that the zoo lost its standing with the Association of Zoos & Aquarium — losing national accreditation and springing concerns of animals being removed.

The Salisbury Zoo applied to renew its accreditation in September 2019, after a standard five-year term. This time, though, the organization was denied.

Ramifications will not be seen immediately, especially from the outside, but a structural shake up lies ahead for the zoo as it looks to reapply.

The denial wasn't cut and dry.

The zoo fell short of "industry standards" in a variety of places, as Acting Director Leanora Dillon recalled of the rejection by AZA, a national nonprofit organization that inspects and accredits zoo facilities. From deferred maintenance, buildings not adequately maintained, and the lack of a full-time veterinarian, the zoo did not hit the mark this time around."

According to the article, as of right now their animals are staying put, and they are hoping to at least become a "Sustainability Partner" for SSPs. They are also looking into ZAA membership.

According to their website, the zoo is part of the SSP for "Red Wolf, Ocelot, Jaguar, Andean Bear, and Cotton-Top Tamarin".

it is worth noting that according to the city's Zoo Commission, it must maintain AZA accreditation.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jambo and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. TinoPup

11. TinoPup

Two updates:
    -Leonora Dillon has been named director of the zoo. She's been the zoo's education curator for 12 years.
    -Wilson, the 17 year old cotton top tamarin, passed away.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Another surprise in recent months (as was the sudden departure of the old director)!

Salisbury Zoo is not a big zoo by half and they claim they cannot hire a full time on site vet. A quarantaine building should be established and is it up now (latest I could find was 2015 note)?
    Is the issue really mainly maintenance based regarding accredition with AZA?

The current COVID crisis and financial standing of Salisbury as a town cannot be helping either ...
    What are the chances it may be able to re-accredit?

Finally, anyone with a copy of their masterplan? The current site plan is a excerpt out of this:
    Site Plan | Salisbury Maryland Zoo FREE Admission Park

13. Kifaru Bwana

I dug out the 2016 Masterplan myself: this concerned the Conservation Center, Entry Complex-Visitor Center (with Reptile Center), a Tropics Trail and the Australia Exhibit.

Judging from the site map, the Animal Health as well as the Animal Services buildings were also up! They have veterinary on call basis and the facilities to deal with the collection.

LINK: https://salisbury.md/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/ZooMasterPlan_01.15.16rev.pdf

Which does beg the question: What maintenance they thought was so out-of-date that they removed accreditation?

14. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The lack of a full-time vet is also a big sticking point - the article posted by TinoPup here explains that in more detail:

Another zoo that I know did not have a full-time vet when I visited years ago (Henson Robinson in Illinois) also lost their accreditation some time ago. That being said, there seem to also be several infrastructure and safety features that are not in adequate condition - this would be unsurprising for a free public facility that has already demonstrated limited financial capabilities. Perhaps if it had only been one of these things they would have tentatively been re-accredited; denial of accreditation usually hinges on multiple factors (except for specific incidences - financial instability/lack of a solid budget or Toronto's elephant husbandry being usurped by the city are examples I'm familiar with).

I can't say with any accuracy (the accreditation process is not public) but personally I would be surprised if they are re-accredited in a year. They have already been on probation with AZA for these issues before, and if the zoo doesn't have the resources to fix their maintenance issues and hire a full-time vet by 2021 then I don't see what the rationale would be in re-admitting them.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Zoofan15

The zoo is phasing out Jaguar after 50 years; bringing in lynx:

Jaguar exhibit leaves Salisbury Zoo, could make way for two lynx

The zoo's female jaguar, Kaya, was transferred Wednesday to the Lee Richardson Zoo in Kansas, according to a news release from the park.

Kaya came to the Eastern Shore zoo by 2010, but the park has maintained a jaguar exhibit since 1971.

The park said it's now working with the lynx Species Survival Plan coordinator to bring two cats to Salisbury. Their new home will be the same exhibit left vacant by Kaya.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  16. TinoPup

As much as I love jaguars, I'm very glad to hear this. That exhibit was awful.

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. Kifaru Bwana

Probably better suited to smaller felid like lynx. Do they mean bobcat as new species?

Zoofan15 likes this.
  18. Zoofan15

I assume so, or possibly the Canada lynx which is kept in several US zoos.

19. TinoPup

There isn't a SSP for bobcats. They mean canada lynx.

20. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Yes, probably Canada lynx. Additionally I've never heard someone refer to a Bobcat as a lynx in North America, everyone calls them Bobcat.

Zoofan15 and TinoPup like this.