Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo Sally the Chimp reunited with foster mother

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Axl, 3 Apr 2011.

1. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Cheeky chimp reunites with foster mother

Published: 6:33PM Sunday April 03, 2011 Source: ONE News

Hamilton Zoo was the site for a special reunion today.

For the first time in around 30 years Sally, one of the zoo's chimpanzees, has been reunited with Georgie Seccombe, the woman who hand-raised her as a baby.

Georgie's husband Richard, who was head zookeeper at Auckland Zoo, took Sally home in the early 1970s after Sally's mum rejected her.

"My husband brought her up in an ice cream carton - she was beautiful," recalls 94-year-old Georgie.

Together Georgie and Richard raised Sally, who very much became part of the Seccombe family.

"It was an education having her though, it was lovely - giving her a bottle at five o clock in the morning, changing her nappies, bathing her.

"If she had dirty hands she used to scream and yell to come and wash the hands."

When Sally two years old she was returned to Auckland Zoo because she'd become too big and strong for the couple to manage.

Advertisement
    And stand-in mum Georgie was just a wee bit nervous before the meeting today.

"She mightn't know me," she told ONE News.

The elderly Aucklander - who still lives in the house in which the chimp was raised - has been waiting for this moment for a long time. The last time she saw Sally was a couple of years after she was returned to Auckland Zoo.

With Georgie 95th birthday not far off she felt the time was right.

Sally appeared at the edge of the glass enclosure and later the pair got as close as they were able, through the outside cage.

Even after all the years that have passed, the chimpanzee seemed to know Georgie, showing off for her stand-in mother.

"I'll take her [Sally] home - but we won't tell anyone," laughs Georgie.

Despite being tame, the chimp is still too strong for most people - but is as cheeky as ever, daring to pinch ONE News reporter Krissy Moreau's bottom during the filming of the reunion.

2. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Sally goes ape for 'mum' after 30 years

By Amelia Wade 5:30 AM Monday Apr 4, 2011

Sally greets Georgie Seccombe at Hamilton Zoo. The chimpanzee was so excited yesterday to see her foster mother for the first time in 30 years that she did a dance.

In the 1970s, Georgie Seccombe had spent two years hand-raising the baby chimpanzee in her home after Sally's mother rejected her.

Yesterday, at Hamilton Zoo, they saw each other again for the first time since Mrs Seccombe gave the chimpanzee back more than 30 years ago.

"I was quite excited to see her again," Mrs Seccombe said. "She's lovely, and she hasn't changed much, with her manner and everything, she's still the same," the 94-year-old said.

Despite the decades that had passed, the 38-year-old chimpanzee still knew who she was.

"She recognised my voice. When I called her, she came to the cage and she knew who it was," she said.

"She's a lovely little chimp, she really is. It was great seeing her."

Mrs Seccombe's husband was a head zookeeper at Auckland Zoo when she raised Sally.

However, after a couple of years the couple had to return her to the zoo because she became too big and strong to manage in their home.

"It was pretty hard to give her back. She's just like a human being," Mrs Seccombe said.

"She was only very, very little - she was tiny when I had her, but she's much bigger now."

A few years after Mrs Seccombe gave her back, Sally moved to Hamilton Zoo.

Hamilton Zoo primate keeper John Ray said he had no doubt that the chimpanzee recognised Mrs Seccombe.

"She got very excited. When she gets excited she'll do a bit of a dance, put her hands in the air, reach out to people that she wants to get closer to ... It's her happy dance, which she did when she saw Georgie," Mr Ray said.

The pair spent some quality time together, during which Sally groomed Mrs Seccombe for nits.

Mr Ray said Sally was very different from other chimpanzees because she had spent two of her formative years being cared for by a human.

"Sally has grown up with people and she probably just sees us as ugly chimps.

"She grew up copying what we would do - like the clapping and the handstands, because she saw some of the other children doing them, and the dancing."

Mr Ray said Sally was very good at reading human body language and understood more than the other chimpanzees at the zoo.

The reunion came after Mrs Seccombe's neighbour took along some old pictures of Sally to show the keepers at Hamilton Zoo.

And no, the chimpanzee was not handraised twice; just like Luka did not escape twice. :D