Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park San Diego Safari Park news 2011

Discussion in 'United States' started by Jordan-Jaguar97, 22 Mar 2011.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

2. ivoke32

ivoke32 New Member

I don't know if this exactly the right place to ask this question but okay.. In two weeksn I'll be going to California from Europe, and I will visit the SWAP. Looking at maps etc. I was wondering if it's possible to have a good look of the Asian savannah from somweher in the park, just by foot. I was planning to buy the regular ticket with the African Tram safari included, but I guess it doesn't visit the Asia exhibit.. So is it really needed to book an extra (cart) safari in order to see the magnificent herd of Indian rhinos?

3. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Umngani the African elephant is pregnant according to facebook.

4. gorgeousingray

gorgeousingray Well-Known Member

It was announced last year, but she is just now being monitored as birth is imminent. I and hopefully everyone else on this site has fingers crossed for a female calf :D.

5. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Umngani gave birth at approximatley 5:45 AM this morning.

6. kelvin

kelvin Well-Known Member 15+ year member

ANOTHER boy! =)

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is the first I have heard about the Lion Camp renovation. Surprisingly, there has been no mention of it in the member magazine. Has anyone seen it in person who can comment. And (I am hoping against hope here) did they get rid of that obnoxious Land Rover in the middle of the habitat?

8. polar bear

polar bear Well-Known Member

They did a very nice job on the Lion Camp renovation. More hills and trees, and two large rocks in front where the females frequently lie down. They have an option to go a little further below in the front viewing area but not all the way into the moat, but the adults don't go down. When they have cubs again, they will probably venture further down. The far right viewing area is open more so you can see the lions when they are on the hillside. The range rover is still there. It's a big hit with the guests and one of Izu's favorite resting places, so I can't see them removing it. No changes from the glassed in viewing area.

With the cheetah run directly across from Lion Camp, I've captured some great photos of the lions while the cheetah's are there. All 3 lions pick their favorite spot and watch the show. Pretty much the same as when they were doing the cheetah talks in that area.

9. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I uploaded at least half a dozen photos of Lion Camp about a month ago into the ZooChat gallery, and I think that with all of the improvements it is possibly my favourite lion exhibit in North America.

10. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

Umoya and Lungile have been bred by Msholo, it is still uncertain as to if it took or not.

11. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Alberta, the 32 year old female gorilla, died in her sleep last night. I just saw her on Wednesday, she was holding the new baby Monroe. She was the only gorilla that mom Kokomo allowed to get close to the new baby. Tribute to Gorilla Alberta :(

12. Arizona Docent

Here is an amateur video of the cheetah run. (There are lots of these on YouTube). It sure doesn't last very long - I mean if you heard a noise behind you and glanced around just as the run was starting, it would be over by the time you glanced back. Still, it looks pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  13. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any news on the flying fox exhibit?

14. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Two questions to US chatters and to anyone else who knows:-

1. Has there been a refusal yet by the cheetah(s). They have a reputation as seriously diva-like cats!
    2. Why the name change to Safari Park, and when did it happen?

15. Arizona Docent

re: flying fox - the latest member magazine stated it was open (but no details or photos)

re: cheetah - I have not heard of a refusal to run, but I believe they have at least a couple trained for this and I imagine at each day they take out the one that seems the most active?

re: name change - It happened within the last year as a marketing strategy because visitor numbers were down for a while. "Safari" sounds more exciting, apparently, than "Animal Park."

16. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The sign on the exhibit says "Opening the Fall of 2011" but it was not open when I was there on Oct. 12th.

17. elephantking

elephantking Well-Known Member

18. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And here come the unreasonable anti captivity comments again. Truly sad, but these things happen. Its strange that no one ever caught what happened exactly.