Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo San Diego Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by betsy, 24 Jan 2015.

1. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

2. betsy

The tiger exhibit is under renovation. The plan is to divide it into 2 areas to allow 2 tigers to be on exhibit at the same time. The male tiger, Connor, has been moved to Center Street.

3. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Can you post pictures once it is done? I feel like making the exhibits smaller would lead to the destruction of vegetation faster. It is unfortunate that such an amazing exhibit is looking so tired.

4. betsy

I will post if it is done before April as I have a one-way ticket to visit my new grandson in April. :)

5. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just checked San Diego Zoo webside and was not able to find the REGULAR ADMISSION, only the 1-day-pass with bus tour, aerial safarie etc. what doesn't interest me and I don't wanna pay for.
    So does the regular admission still exist or is everybody forced/compelled to buy the 1-day-pass?

7. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You can buy regular admission at the gate but only the deluxe pass online.

8. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I'd recommend getting the pass with the skyfari included, it is a great way to see the zoo, and offers a very interesting perspective. I didn't do the bus tour, but I think you may need a bus pass to see the aviary where at the first bus loading stop, which houses a range of bird species worth seeing.

When I went I bought a pass that also covered the Safari Park and Sea World, which was definitely worth while.

9. zoomaniac

@Ituri: Thanks for your reply. Cause I'm not living around the corner: Can you tell me how much the regular admission is/costs?

@zooboy28: I did the skyfari in one of my first visits at San Diego Zoo in the 90s (because of curiosity). I'm sure it's nice for common zoo-goers, but for myself, I have seen it and rather use the time to take some more pictures of the animals.
    As for the aviary at the bus stop: Last time I went there (in the middle of the 2000s), I just ask the staff at the station if I may walk in for only taking pictures. It was no problem (although I have to mention that it wasn't really busy at that moment).
    But still thank you for your suggestions (I will think about the 3-in-1-pass next time I visit California).

10. betsy

The jaguar is pregnant.

11. gormancgo

gormancgo Well-Known Member

From this month's ZOONOOZ the Chairman's Note about the Amur Leopard and Snow Leopard exhibits:

"The beautiful multilevel, 16,500 square-foot habitat is now in the final phases of construction, and visitors will be able to enjoy seeing these big cats in their new homes during Nighttime Zoo."

http://issuu.com/sdzglobal/docs/zoonooz_march_2015

Sounds like the new exhibit is on track for Memorial Day weekend opening, and that its being built as a Nighttime Zoo focal point which I think is awesome.

12. betsy

I checked at the zoo today and there is no regular admission just the 1 day pass. I can get 1 person in free once a day. You just have to walk in with me. Let me know if you are interested.

13. betsy

The jaguar is due to give birth any day. They have taken Otis, the male hippo, off exhibit and keepers are on baby watch.

14. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

Is Funani(hippo) also due to give birth like Nindri(jaguar)?

15. zoomaniac

Hi Betsy

Thank you so much for your offer. I will take it with pleasure when I will revisit California (there is no schedule fixed yet).

(Valid for you as well when you want to visit Zurich Zoo)

16. betsy

No official word that Fumani is pregnant but that is the assumption.

17. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

Given Bai Yun's age, I'm surprised they decided to use artificial insemination on her. I can only guess it was because she went into estrus and figured she can still reproduce so why not let her? I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Mar 2015
  19. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

Nindiri is pregnant? I wish my zoo could figure out why our Jaguars aren't reproducing. We got Harry about a week or so after San Diego got Guapo. Guapo and Nindiri have had 2 pregnancies that produced one litter (and now a potential 3rd pregnancy) but Caipora and Harry haven't had anything. I wonder, now, if the SSP will decide to move one of our Jags like they did the tigers who never successfully mated. Hadiah was acquired from Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle for breeding with our male, but it never happened and she has since been moved to Texas and we're supposed to get another female sometime late Spring.

20. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Joanne the gorilla celebrated her first birthday since her urgent C-section last year.