Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo San Diego Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by betsy, 24 Jan 2015.

1. Falcosparverius

Falcosparverius Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Although I do not support acupuncture, recent studies have shown that acupuncture can alleviate minor muscle pain (which I think may be its only cure, not the other things people claim acupuncture can do). Your link is old and new results have concluded that the effects are significant to be not considered a placebo.

2. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In addition to what Falcosparverius has to say, you may be surprised to find out the number of reputable facilities that use acupuncture on geriatric animals. It is much more common than even I was expecting.

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

8. threeple61

threeple61 Well-Known Member

They will have had to clear the area, and remove as much as they can before 'construction' can begin...

9. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has posted pictures on their Facebook page of new concept art for Africa Rocks,including,interestingly enough, sharks and other aquatic life.

10. Arizona Docent

Here is a very brief newspaper article about the new exhibit. In spite of its brevity, it specifically mentions African leopard as one of the new attractions. A semi bold move for a mainstream zoo to build a major new exhibit for Amur leopards and just up the hill from it build another major exhibit for African leopard.

(Of course as a cat lover I am certainly not complaining).

Zoo's Africa Rocks will be largest attraction in its 99-year history | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

11. Arizona Docent

For ZooChatters (and no one else), the real question on our minds is will it in fact be an African leopard or will it be another Amur leopard placed in an African exhibit?

12. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I don't think they'd get away with an Amur, it would be pretty rude to lie about what was on display to that extent. I think they'll go for an African (or two, would be a good place to show off a black leopard as well).

For me, the real question is how accurate are those images? Are they really going to keep sharks in the Penguin pool? :eek: Obviously not, but the fact that they are including other aquatic life is a bonus.

The baboon exhibit looks good too.

13. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Why not? I've seen sharks in penguin exhibits in the US and Australia.

14. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well,we've had 3 species of leopard fairly recently,and I believe at one point we had 4 (Persian,North Chinese,Amur,and Snow Leopards) at one time,so it doesn't seem so far fetched. As to whether or not we'll be getting an actual African leopard,I highly,highly doubt they'd pull something like that. Unless the article had incorrect information,or if plans change as they so often do in the building of major exhibits,I see no reason not to expect an African leopard. Quick question: It's my understanding that African leopards aren't very common in American zoos. Is this true?

15. Arizona Docent

@ZooBoy28 - It would NOT be a good place to show a black leopard, because the black form is from Asia. I know people say they occasionally - very occasionally - appear in a couple spots in Africa, but that is a rare exception if it is even true, of which I am dubious.

@ Shellheart - Pure blooded African leopards are virtually nonexistent in USA. There may be two or three at most. A lot of non-AZA zoos identify their cats as African leopards when in fact they are just generic leopards of no pure subspecies lineage. If San Diego really wants one, I am sure they could import one from a rescue facility or even zoo in Africa. However I am still not convinced that will happen.

16. zooboy28

Ok. Can't think of any in Australia off the top of my head, unless they are very small species. In outdoor exhibits as this one will be?

17. zooboy28

I didn't know the black leopards were only Asian, nor that pure Africans were non-existent in the US. But if they are going to say African Leopard they are going to have to display one (even a generic one, that they can assume has some African in it).

18. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Sydney Aquarium used to have Port Jackson sharks I believe with little penguins, but this was before the rebranding and considering I have not been since I am not sure if this mix persists.

19. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

California Academy of Sciences also had/possibly still has Striped Catsharks in with their African Penguins.

20. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The New York Aquarium also shows small sharks (Triakis, if I remember correctly) with Jackass (African) Penguins.