Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo San Diego Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by betsy, 24 Jan 2015.

1. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We'll either get a "generic" leopard or an African leopard. Either way I don't think the San Diego Zoo would drastically cheapen themselves so much to try to pass off an Amur Leopard as something it's not..........But then again I think of the "mountain coatis" at the Safari Park and get worried.

2. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The ones in the concept art resemble leopard sharks if that's anything to go by. If the concept art is accurate,does anybody know the disposition of leopard sharks and how likely they'd be to eat a penguin?

3. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The New York Aquarium has the mix in an outdoor enclosure. Sealife Manly is the Australian aquarium where I've seen penguins and sharks together.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

they aren't. Melanistic leopards are well-documented from Mt Kenya in the Aberdares, and also in the Ethiopian Highlands. It isn't even difficult finding photos of ones online from Mt Kenya.

However they are not common (probably on par with black servals, which are more obvious because they are more active by day) and no black leopard in captivity could be claimed to be African.

5. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

Are servals actually more obvious and active during the day than leopards? To my knowledge, both species are primarily crepuscular/nocturnal hunters, and in my (admittedly limited experience) in Africa, I've found it far easier to see leopards (at night or during the day) than servals (obviously, size is a major factor). Regardless, black servals may be still be more obvious, if only because melanism appears to be more common in servals than in African leopards.

As to the issue of African leopards, anyone know whether Columbus Zoo's African leopard is actually a verified African? The Zoo had two sisters when the African forest section opened; one has since died, but the remaining female is still around. Regardless of her pedigree, Columbus appears to be one of the few American zoos still holding two leopard subspecies (as there are two Amur leopards exhibited in what was the top floor of the sun bear's indoor quarters).

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

7. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I visited last year, while they did have some large bass in with the penguins, there were not any shark species.

~Thylo:cool:

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Incorrect, as it happens; there is a melanistic individual at Heythrop Zoo which is of known wildcaught origin.

9. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. TZFan

12. TZFan

13. TZFan

14. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi folks

I have the intention to visit San Diego Zoo (again) in Spring 2016. After checking the zoo map, it looks as if the kopje exhibit as well as the wombat exhibt across the Koalas are not open to the public because of construction of Africa Rocks.

Are those exhibits completely hidden behind construction walls or are visitors able to see the animals - specially the wombats and the klippspringers?

Thank you very much in advance for a reply.

15. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I just went today and unfortunately you are unable to see the wombat or the klipspringer.

16. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's a pity (and a little annoying). Anyway: Thank you very much for your reply, Betsy!

17. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Was viewing of the exhibit at least accessible? I remember going a couple weeks ago and you could still see on the bus side.

The tree kangaroo exhibits and camel yard were completely demoed when I went, as was the ramp where the previous Parma wallaby yard was.

18. gormancgo

gormancgo Well-Known Member

has there been anymore news in terms of confirmed exhibits for the Africa Rocks showcase? namely whether or not a spotted hyena exhibit is still in the plans. I'm just wondering if they put anything up on the construction walls or if anyone has heard anything else in terms of confirmed species?

19. TZFan

20. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

You beat me to it TZFan!