Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo San Diego Zoo news 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by Chlidonias, 2 Feb 2016.

1. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Varanus beccarii hatched last week.

2. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello, you have pictures of africa rock?

3. Gulo gulo

The Bridge will connect Treetops complex to EO.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. Gulo gulo

Last weekend, the holding buildings were getting footers and Rady Falls (or whatever they'll call it) is plumbed, textured and basin was being worked on. The Zoo is hoping the bridge and AR open in June 2017.

6. leone

thank you.

7. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Actually, I was conversing with one of the locals (Betsy on this site) and the first exhibit had been constructed, at least on the outside. It's hard to see details but it has a lot of mock-rock.

8. leone

But African penguins, they are alone in the habitat, or there will be other animals with them?

9. jayjds2

The details haven't all been released yet, but it seems they will be alone. The penguins that are currently at the zoo aren't mixed with any other animals.

10. leone

thank you, who knows how it will be when completed

11. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

This is the photo Jayjds was talking about. I will post more in the gallery.

Attached Files:

12. leone

quale habitat è questo ? dei pinguini ?

13. jayjds2

There is a baby rock hyrax (not the yellow spotted kind, which is actually a bush hyrax) in the kopje exhibit.

14. betsy

I know where you are getting your information jayjds2. ;) Good job reporting! I hope to get a photo soon.

15. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This looks like the waterfall that is proposed to be the tallest in the zoo.

16. betsy

The Golden-headed lion tamarins are on exhibit in the Parker Aviary starting today. I will post photos to the gallery.

17. jayjds2

A gerenuk was born about a week ago.

The common wombat that is on exhibit in the Children's Zoo, Belle, is being trained as an ambassador.

18. Beastking04

Beastking04 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

About a week or two ago, I got a email from the zoo saying they still have Lion-tailed Macaques. Anybody have more info about this?

19. jayjds2

The red-cheeked gibbons (more commonly known as buff crested) were in an enclosure in Lost Forest, but the decision was made to try and mix them with the Lion Tailed Macaques so they'd have more space. The gibbons have been in the macaque's old exhibit for over half a year now, but the mixing is not going successfully and now the zoo doubts it will happen. There could be hope but I'm not too up-to-date on the situation.

Meanwhile, spider monkeys (forgot which species but I think it's Colombian brown) have moved from off exhibit to the gibbons' old exhibit.

20. betsy

Ranchipur, the Asian elephant was euthanised today.
    This quote was posted on the zoo's photo group's Facebook page. I am a member of the group.

"Hello, everyone. I've been asked to share this statement with the group regarding the Zoo's Asian elephant, Ranchipur:

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016, animal care staff made the difficult decision to euthanize Ranchipur, an elderly Asian elephant who had been under veterinary care for several years for a variety of geriatric ailments. Today, staff members noticed Ranchipur experiencing medical difficulties, suddenly looking weak, and leaning on a utilitree for support. Despite emergency medical assistance, he was not responsive; and in the interest of reducing his suffering, staff members made the difficult decision to euthanize him.

Part of the Elephant Odyssey habitat will remain closed to guests for the rest of the day. For security reasons Ranchipur's tusks will be removed, inventoried, and safely secured, until they can be properly disposed of.

Ranchipur celebrated his 50th birthday earlier this year and was the lone male in the Zoo’s elephant herd—made up of older, non-breeding elephants, including two Asian elephant females and three African elephant females. He lived at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park from 1981 to 2009, and moved to the San Diego Zoo in April 2009 when the 7.5-acre Harry and Grace Steele Elephant Odyssey multispecies habitat was built. He was easy to spot, with huge tusks approximately 6 to 6.5 feet long that weighed an estimated 100 pounds each. As a well-known member of the herd, he will be missed by staff, volunteers, and guests. Please take a moment to share your condolences with those people who worked closely with Ranchipur, who especially will be feeling his loss."