Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo San Diego Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by ZooGirlSD, 2 Jan 2019.

1. ZooGirlSD

ZooGirlSD Active Member 5+ year member

A pair of Andean Condors are now on exhibit along Eagle Trail. I heard that a Bird Keeper went up to Los Angeles to get this pair that is new to the zoo, but I don’t know if that’s where they originated from.

Also, the Temminck’s Tragopans that were in Owens Aviary have been moved to a small Aviary adjacent to the Siamese Crocodiles.

Finally, the Bonobos have been moved to the Safari Park off exhibit while their exhibit at the Zoo undergoes renovation, and are expected to be off exhibit until May.

2. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I saw two babirusa piglets on yesterday's visit. Does anyone know more about birth date?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. FoxesAndFlowers

FoxesAndFlowers Active Member

I’m going to the SDZ on either the 2nd or 3rd of February. I’ve read up on the zoo quite a bit, but does anyone have any must-sees or must-dos for the avid zoo enthusiast (particularly rarer or unique species)? Do any locals or often visitors have a particular area that’s best to visit first/last, or food options?

Hipporex and Jambo like this.
  4. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You could probably spend the entire day looking for all of their rare and endangered birds in their massive aviaries.

5. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here's a tip I learned when I went recently. To see the giant pandas up close you must wait in a line like at an amusement park. Now if you really want to see them up close then by all means you can wait in the line, but if you're okay with seeing them from a distance and/or you hate lines (like me) then you should go on to the Canopy Bridge. The bridge goes over the valley the pandas are in and you'll be able to see them from all the way up there. (When I went we waited in line to see the pandas as it was only after I figured out the bridge trick)

6. ZooGirlSD

The two Babirusa piglets were born 12/16/18 to mom Mary Kate. I love them! I’ll add a photo to the media section.

Jambo and Hipporex like this.
  7. ZooGirlSD

This is a great tip about seeing the pandas from the bridge, but also if you wait until later in the day the line for the pandas is usually very short if there is one at all. Just in case they are a priority animal for you to see up close (as they seem to be for many)!

Jambo, FoxesAndFlowers and Hipporex like this.
  8. ZooGirlSD

Well it probably depends on your particular interests! If birds are your thing, it’s true that there are a lot of rare species to see. There is a schedule of Keeper talks on the back of the map, and you might want to hit one or two of those.

A lot of people suggest doing the bus tour first thing because it gives you a nice overview of the layout of the Zoo and you can decide where you want to go back and spend more time. But personally I find that the first hour after the Zoo opens tends to be one of the most interesting in terms of animal behavior, and also some of the nicest light if photography is your thing. So I’d go to whatever animal you’re most excited about first. Whether that be Koalas or Tigers or Gorillas or Polar Bears or whatever. That way you also have the chance to go back and try again if the animals aren’t active the first time around.

You should definitely check out Africa Rocks, the newest area of the Zoo.

As far as food options, I wouldn’t plan my day around it. If you want a nicer sit down lunch, there is Albert’s Restaurant with views of a waterfall from the deck. But otherwise I’d grab something wherever it ends up being convenient when you get hungry.

The last hour of the Zoo day is also great animal activity wise! A lot of the primates go in earlier though, so keep that in mind. I like to go to the lions late in the day, and if you’re lucky you might hear M’bari roar. I also tend to get luckier with the Mountain Lions and Maned Wolves later, and they are close to there. And you can hop on the Skyfari ride right at closing to hitch a ride back to the front!

My general advice is to not worry about seeing every single animal, and focus more on seeing the animals that you do see really well. But that’s probably a matter of personal preference.

Hope those tips help and that you have a great visit!

Jambo, JVM, FoxesAndFlowers and 2 others like this.
  9. FoxesAndFlowers

FoxesAndFlowers Active Member

Thank you all for your advice!

10. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I never had an issue with lines for the pandas but I visited a bit later in the day so that lines up with what @ZooGirlSD. I even saw one walking around!

First thing's first give yourself two days here, you'll probably need it. It's one of those zoos that you could get done in one day if need be but you wouldn't be able to take your time with it and probably wouldn't have time to revisit enclosures for any species you missed. The only other zoos I've had this problem with are Bronx and Chester as the latter rapidly develops and expands.

If you want to see the one and only Tongan Scrubfowl in captivity I'd go to her enclosure as soon as the zoo opens. It's on the far side of the zoo from the entrance which is annoying as you have to skip through a lot (including Aviary Trail which is hard) but her enclosure has a slope that she hides in pretty much from the moment visitors show up to when the zoo closes, except for when she gets fed but I don't know when that is. This also brings up a very important note if you're a bird lover: don't miss the hidden row of aviaries! The aviaries are right next to the Arctic exhibit complex if you take a right out of it but then take another right down the hill into what looks like a keeper only area but isn't. If you turn left you'll head past the Giant Eland.

I found that Owen's Aviary is best towards closing time, that's when I saw most of the odd birds in there. It's hard to find everything in one go, though, so that's why revisits are crucial.

Don't skip the children's zoo if it's still open, there are some real oddball animals there. And definitely don't miss the little confiscated reptile/arachnid building that's in the middle. I don't know if the hummingbird aviary if still open but if you that's worth visiting, too.

~Thylo

betsy, Jambo and FoxesAndFlowers like this.
  11. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Where exactly is her enclosure? Can you mark it out on a map please, I should be going soon. Thanks!

FoxesAndFlowers likes this.
  12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I visited in January 2018, her enclosure was the first in the row of hidden aviaries I mentioned above. On the map, it is directly to the left of Northern Frontier, but the path isn't shown. Right where the trail begins to curve by the zebra, to your right will be a downhill concrete path that is technically keepers-only because it leads to a bts area behind Northern Frontier, but down a hill a bit is the row of caged aviaries. Keepers will not bother you if they see you visited the aviaries. This is also where the Maleo are kept along with various other treasures, including the Fire-Tufted Barbet until it was recently moved into Owen's.

~Thylo

Jambo, FoxesAndFlowers and pangolin12 like this.
  13. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Thanks!

14. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo has numbered markers on the map, which are reflected by physical poles with corresponding numbers around the zoo. Go to the #17 marker (near Northern Frontier) and then begin walking in the direction of Eagle Trail. The aviaries with the megapode and other birds are located on a service road close to the marker, right before the hill gets rather steep.

Edit: cross-posted with Thylo.

Jambo, FoxesAndFlowers and pangolin12 like this.
  15. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

kiang likes this.
  16. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

They also have green signs with numbers on them that are for emergency services. The map numbers are on poles like jayjds said. Don't get them confused! The aviaries are left of the Arctic Trader gift shop.

17. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

18. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The Children's Zoo will be closing Feb. 4th. to make way for the new Children's zoo. Goodbye hummingbird house. :(

19. Azubaa

Azubaa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When is it’s open due or hasn’t that been reported?

Edit; Never mind, it’s 2021, but does anyone know the date/month?

20. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The new children's zoo is opening in 2021, with a Komodo dragon exhibit and hummingbird aviary opening in 2020.