Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park San Diego Zoo Safari Park News 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 5 Jan 2015.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In the new issue of ZooNooz, the chairman's intro page has this very brief statement that I think most of us will find exciting.

"Some of our key goals are to expand the Safari Park's Asia and Americas experiences..."

2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. gormancgo

gormancgo Well-Known Member

6. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great addition, and it seems that they are breeding fairly well, hopefully other holders are added across the US for this species. But if they're in the Asian Savannah area, they aren't on general display, you'd have to buy an extra ticket to see that area :(

7. Arizona Docent

8. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

All the article says is on the Asian Savanna. Something tells me it'll only be viewable for those who purchase tickets to the Asia Safari.

9. Arizona Docent

Three acre habitat sounds remarkably like the size of the old tiger habitat. Any chance they are in there? The caption says they are now visible to park guests, which leads me to think you would not need a special reserved safari to see them. I could be wrong of course, but that is just how it sounds to me.

10. Arizona Docent

Also remember at one time (a few years ago) the map was showing dholes in the old lion habitat, which is also three acres I believe. Since the new path from tigers to Condor Ridge now goes alongside here, perhaps they finally are in the old lion area?

11. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The fence for the old lion exhibit was taken down, so it sounds like they are now in the new Tiger exhibit. I wonder if they reopened the path down to that exhibit from the suspension bridge side?

Here is a link to their video: http://bcove.me/jxrju4xh
    Looks like the tiger exhibit (I recognize that concrete cylinder) and it is not on public display.

12. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's definitely the old tiger exhibit. As someone mentioned the old lion exhibit no longer exists. At the end of the video the animal care person says that the dholes will only be seen by people taking backstage tours.

Is this the wave of the future, making people pay a premium to see species on top of regular admission fees? Is the park planning on building an entire Asia area that is only accessible for an extra fee like the Asia area at the Bronx Zoo?

13. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Their entire Asian Savanna is already only viewable through an extra fee,same with parts of their African Plains exhibits.

14. Arizona Docent

The end of the path at the new tiger exhibit says something like future Asia exhibits coming. The path end has a temporary blockade and is definitely intended to be added to. I think eventually this exhibit will be opened to the masses.

15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. TZFan

17. kelvin

kelvin Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any updates with the elephant breeding program? No births in 3 years, since Mabulahne left for Reid Park in 2012.

18. Montana119

Montana119 Member

Disappointed on my recent visit with high cost and poor viewing of many exhibits if you don't pay for extra tours. Limited viewing areas for African elephant.

19. TZFan

20. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

So, I guess this is news worthy.

I was at the Wild Animal Park about a week and a half ago. They have some interesting rhino developments going on. The Black Rhinos are going off exhibit. That exhibit is being expanded and will soon hold 6 new female Southern Whites from South Africa. This will be in addition to those in the field exhibits. These SWRs will be there for the sole purpose of perfect rhino IVF teachniques. Once they have the technique down, the plan is to use these SWRs as surrogates for Northern Whites. According to the info I got, they have samples of 13 mostly unrelated animals on store.

The more I think about this, the more I think this could potentially be the biggest zoo conservation story of our time.