Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park San Diego Zoo Safari Park News 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by TZFan, 27 Jan 2016.

1. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd presume he is returning on a breeding recommendation as per the SSP. It would be illogical to transfer him simply for the sake of having two bulls at the park, and I have my doubts they would recall him if they were denied a breeding rec for him.

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wow, I would never have expected Mabu to leave us here in Tucson. This is really shocking.

3. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Why wouldn't San Diego itself want to recall Mabu so he can return and breed again with Escondido's cows? They do own Mabu. Also bringing in another bull could potentially stimulate the bull you want to breed.

SSPs (especially the Yellow and Red) don't dictate movements of animals. If a zoo needs help moving surplus they will assist, they can help a zoo source new individuals, and breeding plans are developed to ensure long-term sustainability of populations. But in the end, it is the zoo's call to move and breed animals. They are the ones that own the animals.

4. Hyak_II

That is a very valid point, and something I debated mentioning in my earlier post. They do own him, all the cows, and of course all their offspring, so if they do want to breed it would make sense to recall him.

Regardless, breeding is always better than no breeding for elephants right now, I just wish they would do something a bit better for the population and acquire a less represented bull for breeding. I'm certain a trade could be arranged if they want full ownership. They do have 5 male mabu offpsring at the Safari park, plus the 2 in Arizonian, after all :p

5. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would too like to see more cooperation amongst American zoos in breeding elephants. But it appears that they all may be too busy arguing over management styles, affiliations, or something.

The breeding programs were first compromised over 20 years ago because no one wanted to deal with bull elephants. Then 15 years ago the American zoos failed their elephants by not moving animals around to create breeding herds. Now there appears to be some other reason why zoos won't cooperate better with each other.

San Diego also has a long history of producing heaps of babies with little regard to genetic diversity.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, sadly unexpected news. One now wonders what will become of the Tucson GRZ breeding plans too without a proven bull. And further: how this move back will further compromise the already struggling SSP breeding programmes with elephants.

This actually calls for a separate discussion thread - that may .. most probably .. already exist of AZA/SSP elephant breeding plan arrangements -!

7. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Two Congo peafowl hatched 9/10/16.

A Somali wild ass was born 9/8/16.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2016
  8. Hyak_II

Most excellent news :)

9. jayjds2

1.0 red-flanked duiker "Richard" arrived and will eventually go on exhibit.

10. cmrButton5

cmrButton5 Well-Known Member

According to the park's twitter account Mabu the bull African elephant has arrived back from Reid park zoo "with hopes of breeding"

11. jayjds2

A sambar deer was born a week ago.

12. gormancgo

gormancgo Well-Known Member

13. jayjds2

Interesting. I can't think of any other place in America where visitors are allowed free contact with wombats and echidnas. It'll be a great addition to the park.

14. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

I have faith for an Australian section that is not the generic, run-of-the-mill one often found in American zoos. Was hoping for a redesign of the gorilla exhibit but this should be good.

15. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

R.I.P. Kupanda Falls Botanical Center!

16. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agreed. Yet another quiet, peaceful place passes to the wayside.

17. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This looks Great, bit shocked at the lack of emus and koalas. does anyone now where in the zoo it will be located, and when it will open?

18. jayjds2

19. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Pachyderm pro,
    It will be located within the existing Kupanda Falls Botanical Center, an arboretum area near the Condor Ridge exhibit complex. The arboretum was primarily planted in the mid-1980s and so many of the trees are large now. Most of the species planted are not Australian if I remember correctly, so weaving this new Australian theme into it without removing many trees will be potentially awkward from a theming standpoint.

20. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They did the same with Tiger Trail, incorporating many pine trees into a rainforest. Most people will never notice.