Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park Tips

Discussion in 'United States' started by Yang Yang, 30 Apr 2022.

1. Yang Yang

Yang Yang Member

I am planning to go to the San Diego Zoo and the Safari Park this summer.:) I’m wondering if anyone has some tips for either park such as if a Cart Safari is worth it or if you are able to see the animals well from just walking around the habitats.

Micah W and ZebraX like this.
  2. SusScrofa

SusScrofa Well-Known Member

Make sure to go to both parks as early as you can. So much to see. And in Safari Park, do the safari ride first thing in the morning when there isn't any lines. Later in the day the line will be insane and you'll waste your entire time waiting.

Yang Yang likes this.
  3. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

For the Safari Park, I would definitely do the Asian Cart Safari, it is slightly overpriced but I think it’s worth it to see all those rare Asian hoofstock species. The species seen on the African Cart Safari can all be seen from the free tram itself so unless you want to see the animals closer up, I’d say don’t do the African Cart Safari.

I would go up to Walkabout Australia as soon as you get there to see the platypus because the animals are usually off habitat later in the day.

When you’re on the Africa tram, look for the Uganda Kob, Barbary Deer, Red-fronted Gazelle, and Defassa Waterbuck as these are some of the rarest African hoofstock species they hold.

While the Safari Park is much larger than the zoo, it actually takes a much shorter amount of time to see the entire thing vs the zoo (unless you’re doing the Cart Safaris). Once, I got there at 3 (with a closing time of 6) and managed to see most of the park (including the tram). However, since this is your first time I would think you’d want to spend more time at each habitat for various reasons so plan to spend at least 5-6 hours there.

For the zoo, there are tons of trails and paths with rare and interesting species that you’re likely to miss unless you make sure not to. For example, Lost Forest has tons of trails and it’s very easy to miss a ton of species so I’d suggest you take a look at the map and plan out a route before you go. You’re going to want to get there as early as possible so that you’re able to get through as much of the zoo as possible.

Make sure to prioritize going to the zoo’s walkthrough aviaries (Scripps, Owens, Parker, and Africa Rocks) because even if you aren’t a bird person, they are all fantastic aviaries and are must sees at the zoo. The Hummingbird Habitat is pretty nice as well but if you’re short on time, it’s no where near as nice as the other four so prioritize those.

The Reptile House, Reptile Walk and the new Children’s Zoo have a ton of herps (including several rarities) so you’ll have to check that out as well. The Gharial habitat, for example, is beautiful and one of my favorites at the zoo so keep an eye out for it.

The zoo also has a ton of steep paths so be prepared for that while the Safari Park doesn’t have as many hills and steep climbs but a lot less shade. You’ll want to prepare for that as well especially since you’re going in the summer.

On a side note, do you plan on visiting SeaWorld as well or no? If not, I’d definitely recommend if you have time as while you may not like their amusement park vibe, they have a ton of very interesting and rare species like Emperor Penguin (only ones in the country).

That’s all I can think of right now but I’m sure I’m missing something. Let me know if you have any questions and I hope you enjoy your visit! You won’t regret coming down here I’m sure! :)

4. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@IndianRhino gave great advices, but I would recommend the Caravan Safari, as well. It's a one in a lifetime experience and you will see both African and Asian Plains up close. There are rare African spieces, like Uganda Kob, Grant's gazelle, Red-fronted gazelle(if still present) ,Fringe-Eared Oryx that are not easy to see from the Tram. Don't miss the Steenbock ( was together with Sitatunga before) at African loop.

If you consider to visit the zoo, the Safari Park and SeaWorld in a multiple days, check San Diego Go City Pass option.

Wish you great time in sunny California!

5. Yang Yang

Yang Yang Member

Unfortunately my family and I only have 2 days in San Diego. I chose the San Diego Zoo because of the amazing species list and because I’ve always wanted to go there. I wanted to go to the Safari Park because I have always wanted to see a platypus and I can remember bafflingly my teachers.;) Thank You So Much for the information and help, everyone!:)

6. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Giant soft shell turtles in with the ghavial! California Condors!. Great bird avairys, enormous. Many, many not found in most zoo. New children's zoo. Great reptile house, watch it gets crowded by visitors.