Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo San Diego Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by geoffw, 28 Dec 2003.

1. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The story I read said they were moving to "Elephant Mesa"--probably a major rehab of the former elephant barn and yard. Much larger than the old giraffe exhibit, so a good move.

Still curious what happened to all the other hoofstock displaced by Elephant Odyssey (Mhorr gazelle, bearded pig, altai wapiti, etc. etc.)

2. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm also getting the impression from a few zoo publications that the giraffe exhibit on Elephant Mesa will be part of a larger African Savannah exhibit.

3. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Please could anyone post pictures of the new giraffe exhibit. Also if they have moved into the elephant exhibit were have the elephants been placed.

4. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

The bearded pig are in the monkey tails forest trails exhibit, I think...

5. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Bongo
    Apparently the giraffes moved this week, but I'm thinking the giraffes are in the exhibit vacated by Graham the Indian rhinoceros, not the elephant exhibit.

@WrithedHornbill
    They had two bearded pig enclosures, one in Monkey Trails, and a larger one on Horn and Hoof Mesa

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Here is the short blurb on the moving of the giraffes. I cut and pasted it from a news link, but it doesn't specify the exact location of the new giraffe exhibit. I'm as curious as anyone as to what will happen to all of the displaced animals along the old horn and hoof mesa.

San Diego Zoo Giraffes Move to New Address:
    Written by Imperial Valley News
    Wednesday, 23 April 2008

San Diego, California - Six Masai giraffes moved to a new address within the San Diego Zoo and are exploring their new home yesterday. Animal care staff says that the giraffes are feeling comfortable in their new habitat and are spending a lot of time exploring and sniffing its corners. “They are doing really well,” says Bill Austin, primary giraffe keeper. “The move went great and they have been calm the whole time. They are still getting used to the change, but are settling in nicely.”

The old giraffe exhibit is scheduled for demolition as part of construction for a new multi-species exhibit to open in 2009, Elephant Odyssey. The giraffes were transported from their old home to the new one using a special trailer that can accommodate the height of a giraffe. The dominant male giraffe, Silver (who is 16 feet tall), needed the trailer all to himself. The other giraffes traveled in groups, and the three trips from the old home to the new one on Elephant Mesa occurred without a hitch.