Join our zoo community

San Francisco Zoo San Francisco Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by Buldeo, 7 Jan 2018.

1. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I tend to loathe my home zoo of Oakland as after they opened and planned California trail for almost a decade or even more than that (might be wrong on this correct me if so) they don’t have any plan what so ever. There are a handful of things I would like to see personally of course but as someone who’s seen the same zoo since I was young, I think it’s time for the main grounds zoo to change.

Hipporex likes this.
  3. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I see. As someone who frequents the Oakland Zoo I can agree that, while I do truly enjoy the zoo, it could do with some changes. *cough*cough* new chimpanzee exhibit *cough*cough* I've read your thread on re-imaging the Oakland Zoo and I like your ideas.

4. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

The great ape passage/chimp exhibit renovations is essentially done with special sneak peaks of the exhibit the only way to see it since the chimps are still adjusting. SF zoo is really shaping up!

Hipporex likes this.
  5. Falcosparverius

Falcosparverius Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Chimpangeek

Chimpangeek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The new chimp walkway and indoor playroom is fantastic and the chimps seem to love it. Visitors are finally able to get up close and interact with the chimps against the glass.
    The visitor side of the exhibit has plenty of educational features including information about the history of the chimps and the pachyderm building.
    The zoo is still working on the new holding area as well as the new outdoor yard which should be completed in the new year.

The zoos new male chimp Qadeer, is out of quarantine and will be introduced to Cobby very gradually.

Once the outdoor yard is complete, the zoo will acquire more chimps and then begin construction for the orangutan exhibit, which will utilize the grotto closest to the sifakas as well as the surrounding area.

The primate center is undergoing major changes.
    The tall mesh exhibits are being taken down and replaced with the Madagascar center project.
    The Francois langurs now live in 4 small connected enclosures around the corner from the primate center.

The Patas monkeys were sent to another zoo, and the Mandrills will move into their old exhibit. The mandrills old exhibit will be renovated for one of the zoos other species, possibly the colobus.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It seems the primate and great ape areas now receive major upgrades and the attention they deserved.

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Topeka most likely for the Patas Monkeys.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.