Join our zoo community

Saying Hello...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Judache, 13 Aug 2018.

1. Judache

Judache Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello!
    I just signed up yesterday - finally - I've been lurking on the site since I discovered it a few months ago, mostly on the Canada forum.

I'm in Toronto, have a membership at the Toronto Zoo and use it WAY more than I ever expected to (especially as the journey out there is nearly 90 min on the TTC for me).
    I call it my "happy place".

I love learning the 'behind the scenes' info and histories of the animals, and although I don't have a fancy camera I've taken some pretty decent shots with my Canon point and shoot.

And I have a particular fondness for rhinos, especially the white rhino.

2. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome!

Judache likes this.
  3. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome to ZooChat!

Judache likes this.
  4. 15308

15308 Member

First, welcome to the general Zoo Chat as a member.
    Your comments about the White Rhinos caught my eye... as back during the 1970 I operated Animal Transports Inc. and we then trucked three (1.2) White Rhinos from the San Diego Wild Animal Park to the Toronto Zoo. Maybe not likely, but could be that one or more of those Whites are still living at the Toronto Zoo. Next time you visit and can inquire, would like to read any information and see your zoo photos on a chat line.

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Aug 2018
    Judache likes this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome!

Judache likes this.
  6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Really great to have another Canadian join, as your country is underrepresented here. Though one of our top contributors and most traveled North American zoo members is Canadian.

Judache likes this.
  7. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Welcome, and as others have said, it is great to have another (and fellow) Canadian on board!

@Bwana Hans I can answer that question for you, unfortunately none of the white rhinos currently at Toronto would be from that transport. I'm not sure of the exact age, but all of the current white rhinos are under 15-16 years old. I'll tag @TZFan as they have a wealth of knowledge on the history of Toronto Zoo and it's animals and they might be able to tell you something about those rhinos.

Judache likes this.
  8. Judache

Judache Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow, fascinating work that must have been! That transport must have been when the Toronto Zoo opened in 1974.
    As @m30t said below, our current white rhinos range from 7 months to 15 years. And although I can't shed any light on all members of that original transport, I can tell you the rather special story of one of them:
    "Bull" (originally named Mtondo when first transported from San Diego) lived out a long and apparently happy life in Toronto. He developed bad arthritis in 2008, and had to be euthanised at the ripe old age of 45.
    But his story goes on...he was donated to the Royal Ontario Museum, and was - well - "stuffed", and installed in pride of place at the entrance to their Biodiversity Hall - where he continues to delight and educate people about conservation. I see him often, as I live quite close to the museum.

9. 15308

15308 Member

Wow... great to hear from both of you, Judache and m30t in Toronto... From what is said, the male apparently outlived the two females.. and yes they were delivered as I recall in 1973, which was apparentyly prior to the public zoo opening... looking forward to more information when available. Thanks so much. Back during those years in the early 70's I also transported many imported White Rhinos from Kennedy Airport to the Lion Country Safari Parks near Cincinnati and Atlanta.

Judache likes this.
  10. Jasonican

Jasonican Member

Hello, Judache! Welcome to the forum!

Judache likes this.