Join our zoo community

Sea Lion Shows?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Haruki, 19 Jun 2011.

Tags:
  1. Haruki

Haruki Member

What are the 'Sea Lion Shows' in your local zoo like?
    Whats your zoo called?
    Have you got a video of the show?

I know Chester Zoo doesn't have a Sea Lion show, but I think it should because it would be a great edition to the zoo..

2. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

The Sea Lion show at Blackpool(I don't attend anymore I've already seen the performance five times!)shows the threats and dangers in the wild,one of the keepers Khaled I am good freinds with too,is attempting to swim with them which is good:)

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They would need to keep sealions before they had a sealion show.

4. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

About as close as Chester ever got to a sea lion show was briefly demonstrating target training during feeding times, but now the idea would be about as far removed from their keeping policies as one could possibly imagine.

5. Haruki

Haruki Member

I meant Chester Zoo hasn't ever had a Sea Lion show, which the next time they bring Sea Lions back they should have one, with a awesome Sea Lion Stadium, with seating to actually watch and not stand.

6. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Sea Lion shows do very little for me.

7. Kwambeze

Kwambeze Well-Known Member

8. Haruki

Haruki Member

I find Sea Lions really interesting and funny! :)

9. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Not going to happen as its so far from what Chester believes should be done for the welfare of any animals in its care.Also as others have pointed out they would need to get Sea Lions back at the zoo,and thats not going to happen for a very long time or may be never now with the gradually zoning of the zoo!!As they don't fit with any of the new zones!!

10. Johnny Morris.

Me too, just not fussed on the shows. Catching frisbies, ringing bells and going through hoops, isn't my cup of tea.

11. Haruki

Haruki Member

I like the ones in places in america like SeaWorld, Johnny!

And ZooGiraffe, Chester Zoo will be making a dome which will hold animals like Gorillas and such, and people say Sea Lions are going in there. Who knows! It will be good to see a show though..-huff-

12. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

I'm sure Chester Zoo's management team will be interested to know that they will be building such a dome! :D

13. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

"People" are often wrong, as in this case. When built, Heart of Africa - the dome to which you refer - is intended to house African species and there aren't any African sea lions.

14. Johnny Morris.

Haven't been, doubt i ever will. On the whole animals performing tricks isn't what i go to zoos to see. With the possible exception of flying displays, i don't really want to see them, but i know that others, especially children do. The Parrot shows are another pet hate of mine.

15. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

Could possibly be South African Fur Seals?

16. Johnny Morris.

But when someone thinks of Heart of Africa, i doubt South American Fur Seals pop into anyones mind,;)

17. sealion

Regarding UK Sea lion shows, you have:

Chessington, Knowsley, Welsh Mountain, Blair Drummond, Whipsnade, Coombe Martin, West Midlands, Blackpool and Flamingoland who all have shows. That's pretty much all of them I think, I may have missed a couple. Woburn recently got rid of their Sea lion exhibit, which included a show.

There are a few other places with Sea lions who do more of a talk, such as the National Seal Sanctuary in Cornwall.

18. sealion

Very true, but they do have a lot of the traditional african species' so they might be thinking of adding more unusual species'. But as you say, the chances of pinnipeds returning in this new complex are pretty slim!

19. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

The baseline species list was widely published as Heart of Africa passed a detailed planning stage, and it didn't include pinnipeds.

20. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

First all animals do not perform tricks they do behaviours and really what they do is a matter of context.

Having trained sea lions for shows - a tend to prefer the term displays - at various locations in the UK and Europe what you see is more to do with context as (within reason) the animals don't mind what they do provided it's within their physical repertoire.

Ironically there are probably more 'performing animals' in zoos than there ever has been and this isn't a bad thing provided such demonstrations are appropriately scripted and designed to highlight the animals natural abilities.

Moreover, most zoo animals are trained in some way to co-operate with their keepers. Husbandry training has become a very useful tool in recent years - ironically developed from techniques developed in aquaria from marine mammals. It allows animals to be move and inspected even to the point of allowing blood to be taken with out the need of 'crush cages' and anaesthesia.