Join our zoo community

SEA LIFE Birmingham Sea Otters at Sea Life Birmingham

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by gentle lemur, 12 Nov 2020.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There was a lot of discussion about the possibility of sea otters arriving in a previous thread. After a delay, a couple of seals were moved into the newly completed exhibit temporarily; but he sea otters finally arrived and went on show just before lockdown in March 2020. @Brum and @cliffxdavis reported on them briefly, and I made a mental note to visit them in the summer when they had completely settled in - indeed I had suggested to @bongorob that we might go together to see them. However circumstances changed :(
    When I was planning my short zoo tour in October, I had to include a visit Birmingham to see and photograph this new species, particularly as thee were no photos in our Gallery. I have posted some photos of the exhibit and the otters, which I will describe a little more here.
    I had not visited this Sea Life Centre since 2005, so there were some new features including the gentoo penguins in the first exhibit after the entrance desk. But the first view of the otters comes after walking up the ramp beside the entrance atrium, past the shallow tank which holds jacks, guitarfish and other medium-sized marines: looking up through a tall window opposite the clownfish tank (Nemo! Nemo!). This window shows the bottom of the otter's pool. I could see the two otters playing at the surface with what appeared to be a green plastic dustbin lid. However this deep area acts as a sump and the bottom of the pool was covered with assorted rubbish. I don't know if there is a bottom drain, but if there is, it obviously hadn't been used for a while before my visit - when one of the otters dived to the bottom, I tried to take a photo, but so much muck was stirred up from the bottom that my camera wouldn't focus :mad:
    There is small window viewing the surface of the pool at the top of the final ramp, but the main display is on the top floor, just beyond the lady with the camera gear who offers to take photos of the visitors. There are plenty of signs about the otters ('Ozzy' and 'Ola') and a screen showing some YouTube videos. The view from the main window is shown below.
    The green area is the deep section of the pool, and the small door in the back wall leads to the off-show area. When I arrived it was open and I could just see an otter inside.
    Walking around to the left to the second window revealed slightly more of this area and I could see the otters diving and playing in a small pool off-show.
    After I had waited for a while, one of the keepers opened a hatch and threw some food into the main pool, so the otters rushed out and the door was closed - I guess that the off-show area needed cleaning.
    As the otters are now between 2 and 3 years old, they are still immature and I was surprised how active and playful they were. The pool contains several toys for them. The female was having great fun with the green 'giant frisbee' (as a sign describes it) - she dragged it into the pool, both of them played with it there, then she dragged it out again and sat on it.
    I do share the concern expressed in the previous thread that the enclosure is not particularly large, but the pool is deeper than I expected and the presence of the off-show area is another good feature, which the otters obviously like. I have mixed feelings about the fact that there is no open air section: it might have been possible to construct one, if I recall correctly, the small-clawed otters did have one, but sea otters are known to be sensitive to disturbance, so perhaps this option was ruled out.
    Note for photographers. The lighting of the exhibit is horrible - there are coloured spotlights, but the overall lighting is dim. So high ISO settings and large apertures are required, particularly as the otters are so active. This means that my images are very contrasty and many of them are blurred because of motion or missed focus, and virtually all of the otter shots needed colour correction to remove colour casts or coloured highlights from reflections of the lamps. This partly explains why it has taken me so long to post these photos. But I do want to have another go - I like a challenge and I haven't forgotten my offer to @bongorob ;)
    My favourite photo is

Last edited: 12 Nov 2020
  2. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Oh crikey - how did I miss this news???!! I am very excited to go when possible - sea otters are pretty high on my bucket list :)

Thank you for posting - and on the photography front I think you've done well actually. The last shot you posted is lovely.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It's worth noting that the sea otters at Lisbon fare perfectly well in an open-air exhibit!

4. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for this, great write up. I was one of the ZC’s that openly questioned & criticised this move, as, at the time, I believed Living Coasts should have been involved - we now know why eh!
    However, I’m still uncomfortable with the lack of ‘sky’ and I think the otters should be outdoors. I feel the same about Aye Aye in ‘cells’ (Bristol & London) and remember seeing the outdoor exhibit at Durrell and how it made me feel for positive.

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Incidentally do you know how they manage the AyeAye ay Jersey in terms of the day/night scenario? Presumably for public exhibit its 'night' in the daytime in their indoor area? ...but daytime outside...(confused)

6. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

there is a bit of chat on the exhibit from a few years ago; has it changed since then?
    Kirindy Forest-Aye Aye and Jumping Rat Enclosure - ZooChat

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The aye aye at London are actually partially kept in tarpaulin covered outside cages, if you look carefully on a windy day, you can see the 'roof' moving... so they do have fresh air.

8. Skukuza

Skukuza Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I shot up to Birmingham to check out the sea otters the other week having had my second jab and been on minimal zoo visits recently.

I must say my experience was a little disappointing on the day, and I will caveat that by saying I have no real interest in fish so my thoughts below centre on the only mammal exhibit at the facility.

Firstly, I must say Merlin Entertainment must have been making an absolute killing on entrance fees alone as the site was heaving. As was the 3d cinema, gift shop, vending machines and refreshment stands. It is in some ways reassuring to see attractions recouping losses from covid.

Visiting as a solo adult during the school holidays was a mistake and covid restrictions meant a long, slow, overwhelmingly maskless, procession through narrow corridors of predictable SEA Life exhibits before reaching the otters.

The exhibit itself was of a reasonable size, in my opinion, for the two otters but certainly too small for the two seals it previously held temporarily.

The exhibit was for me rather bland and unsightly, there was no substrate and the exhibit seemed quite sterile with large swathes of faux snow creating hard bleached white surfaces that reflected the insanely bright and unhidden spotlights.

The area also plays “aquarium music” which is constantly battling the drone of a video explaining the otter rescue in Alaska(?). This battle was probably just about edged by the music.

The exhibit was empty, and the otters were frolicking and regularly popping their heads up from the off exhibit pool area that is tantalisingly visible through a small corridor/doorway that gentlelemur has captured in his photos above at a distance of about 25 feet.

Windows that I suspect would offer a better angle to view this area had been covered with temporary boards.

It seems from this thread the inhabitants have a fondness for this off exhibit area… has anyone had a more positive or showy visit? If so, when/what time etc?

Thankfully the exhibit has a small bench with seating for perhaps two or three people which I soon commandeered when I had finished reading the reasonable and occupant specific, exhibit signage for the umpteenth time.

It was when sat here I discovered probably the most disappointing part of the exhibit; as directly behind this bench was a photo opportunity (the obligatory/compulsory green screen photo to be sold on exit kind) whose flash reflected off the glass and dazzled me. I presume the effect is the same for the otters and perhaps why they seem to have a preference for the off exhibit area?

Families were passing through the area at a rate of a camera flash every twenty seconds or so. The SEA Life camera operators unfaltering enthusiasm was arguably the most impressive part of my visit!

Having resisted the one-way flow of the crowds and endured the camera flashes for 30 minutes I admitted defeat and moved on (rather ironically past the ever present no flash photography signs) as the otters chose not to show themselves other than one brief period when they both moved into the far end of the connecting corridor and looked up at what I presume was a keeper/food prep area.

Both animals were surprisingly large, certainly larger than the only other sea otter I have seen at NY Aquarium.

I do acknowledge the benefit and need for off exhibit areas and would only recommend anyone visiting specifically for the otters consider visiting at a quieter time or when covid restrictions have potentially lifted allowing multiple circuits or return visits etc to avoid disappointment.

The rest of the aquarium was very much cookie cutter SEA Life with the Gentoo penguin underwater viewing and massive sea turtle being the only other honourable mentions.

I think I paid £23 for my visit which for me personally did not represent good value for money but I will return for another attempt at better viewing and with my daughter in tow to get more value from the day.

Also worth mentioning for those planning a visit; the recommended car park is very expensive (as I might imagine all city centre car parks are) with a long minimum ticket time and only accessible by traversing through a clean air zone so worth planning your route wisely and factoring in those potential charges.

Hard to be too grumpy when you have sea otters not far from home! ;)

Thankfully the rest of my day was spent at the Birmingham Nature Centre with fantastic mammal viewing!

9. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

£20 upwards seems to be the new normal.

10. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This all sounds akin to the horrors of the penguin “exhibit” at the London Aquarium. A shame as there are many notable UK collections that would do a much better job I’m sure of housing sea otters.

Skukuza and Benosaurus like this.
  11. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

I went to Sea Life Birmingham a couple of weeks ago, and while I did get to see the sea otters I didn't manage to get many good photos of them, they move so fast that my photos all ended up rather blurry:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was the first time I had ever seen a sea otter, and like some others on here, I was surprised by how big they are. I was expecting something closer in size to a river otter, but they were almost as big as seals!
    The rest of my visit wasn't that fun, there were far too many guests in at once, inluding a lot of screaming children, I think I made a mistake by going on a Saturday afternoon during the school holidays. Nevertheless, I would like to go back again either next year or the year after.

JamesB likes this.
  12. Skukuza

Skukuza Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pleased to report a much improved experience when otter spotting last week.

The view from downstairs through the deep water part of the tank filled me with an ominous feeling of a recurring visit, with otters hiding off exhibit, as it was very still.

But by the time we reached the small viewing window on the ramp up to the exhibit both otters were bounding around in the main exhibit wrestling and diving in to the pool.

In the short journey to the main viewing window one of the pair had retired to the off exhibit pool but the other stayed on show for some time.

My thoughts on the enclosure being very sterile, bright and fake were unchanged by this visit particularly as the otter who stayed on exhibit did so in a bright blue plastic tub (think children's sand box) filled with ice.
    Beggars cant be choosers as the saying goes however, as this toy kept the otter in view for the duration of our visit.

Additional viewing windows in the form of small portholes have now been uncovered and look out on to the main exhibit and the tunnel to the acrylic pop up box was open also which was a big hit with the children including my daughter.

Ironically the aquarium felt much less busy than during the mid pandemic visit prior but perhaps this is psychological as we become less precious about our space once again...

Benosaurus likes this.