Join our zoo community

Sea snakes

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by SealPup, 17 Dec 2017.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As for the bite case you've now quoted twice, @temp: I assume that both bite and treatment happened in closer proximity to a larger urban area (i.e. city or larger town), not in the middle of rural nowhere?

2. temp

temp Well-Known Member

@Batto
    Yes it did, however the antivenom was still not that close. It was flown in from Karolinska by the airforce. They didn't want to take the risk of delays by ordinary transport. According to a persistent but unconfirmed rumor the airforce transport actually ended up being much more expensive than the antivenom, despite the need for several doses. There are three primary centers for antivenom in Scandinavia, split into three countries (note that entire Scandinavia only has a combined population of c.20 million). Except for the most common there is limited overlap, but the medical services cooperation closely, allowing easy exchange if needed.

An ongoing project by scientists and medical companies in Copenhagen (also involving Oxford) where they are trying to develope effecient recombinant antivenoms for a range of species means that there actually has been a rise of availability in the region recently, but that may not last and likely depends on the longevity of the project.

3. Batto

Thanks for the info, @temp, but this incident actually underlines that your previous assumption
    is not up to date / completely correct.

Even with efficient collaboration and relatively managable human populations, three main centers for four countries aren't what I would consider really comprehensive, especially in regard to the "vivid" group of Swedish venomous snake breeders and keepers. Not that the situation is any better around my place: the next institute sporting most of the antivenom I would require is 3 hours away, and the one having still valid antivenom for Australian elapids is at least another 3-4h down SW.
    As for Copenhagen: your fear that this might only be a temporary affair might come true, given experiences with other institutes (BNITM, PEI etc.).

4. temp

temp Well-Known Member

We evidently have different defintions of what equals completeness, as I would say my comment is correct for having almost all in a well-connected region of only c. 20 million people and where incidents are extremely rare (serious incidents many years apart; I actually don't know any Scandinavian cases where a person has died from an "exotic" snake bite).

Only a minor note: If you use the typical definition of Scandinavia there are three main centers in three countries (Sweden+Denmark+Norway = c.20 million people). If using the broad definition, more commonly called the Nordics (three previous+Finland+Iceland+Faroe = c.25 million people), there are four main centers in six countries as Finland also has one. That doesn't change much in terms of completeness as the three in "proper" Scandinavia already have almost everything. There are several smaller centers throughout, but they rarely stock anything for "exotics" because they easily and fast can get it from the main centers by road or air.
    I do wonder if anybody keeps venomous snakes in tiny Iceland (c.300K people) or Faroe Islands (c.50K people), as both have laws banning their keeping and the remoteness would make smuggling quite complex. Getting antivenom out there would certainly be a time consuming.

(that was a change of subject; sea snakes)

5. Batto

No; you and I seem to be on a different level of personal involvement in venomous reptile keeping and thus are of different awareness of actual practical implications.
    Medically relevant snake bites are generally a rare thing in most of Europe - which is another reason for the aforementioned decrease in antivenom supply.
    Are you aware of the different antivenoms currently on the market? If so, you might know that there isn't a thing such as "completeness".
    As for whom to count as "Nordic", "Scandinavian" etc. : I counted those countries that have (or at least had) venomous snake keepers that I happen to know of (i.e. no one from Iceland, Greenland, Faroe Islands, Åland etc.).

6. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, I suspected that location/sourcing played a part.

It's really cool that an aquarium is working on developing antivenom!

7. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

The two species in Niue - Laticauda laticaudata and L. schistorhynchus - lay their eggs in caves where the entrance is underwater but the interior, or at least part of it, is above water level. The eggs are then (generally) completely safe from predators.

This is a recently hatched laticaudata at the base of a stalagmite. It's the tail and a loop of body; I thought it was the head at the time, because viewing conditions - not to mention photography conditions - were less than ideal.

[​IMG]

:p

Hix

Last edited: 20 Dec 2017
    Batto and SealPup like this.
  8. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Thx: either the two Zdeneks misunderstood this, or something was lost in translation to English. I guess it isn't impossible for marine animals to lay or pup in underwater caves where there are air pockets. And a word for a crevice could conceivably be confused with one for cave.