Join our zoo community

SeaWorld Abu Dhabi planned

Discussion in 'United Arab Emirates' started by vogelcommando, 13 Dec 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Planned for 2022 :

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It speaks volumes that the advertisement contains these words in capital letters: "SEAWORLD'S FIRST NO-ORCA FACILITY". The future of SeaWorld might well be in the Middle East...

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

5. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@snowleopard: Very interesting. Thank you very much for sharing this.

Do I understand right that the entire park will be indoors? If so, I presume (and fear) that SeaWorld will get in another international conflict with the ecological movement because of the huge usage of energy this dome(s) will have.

By the way: I guess that even strong advocates of keeping cetaceans in captivity (like me) would have said that keeping orcas in Arabia (even when it would be indoors) is not a good balance between effort and returns (and I also doubt that the whales would have had better conditions than at San Diego, San Antonio or Orlando).

DelacoursLangur likes this.
  6. csartie

csartie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Harbor seals from SeaWorld Orlando will be going to Abu Dhabi -- does anyone have a list of other species that have been confirmed so far?

DelacoursLangur likes this.
  7. S U N N Y

S U N N Y Member

I don't think so due to zero energy buildings now existing, that mean the building could put out more energy than it takes in and be much better for the environment. Also i'm curious as to your argument on why we should keep cetaceans in captivity. Not trying to nitpick just want a healthy argument:)

8. zoomaniac

Do you really believe, that that amount of energy, what such a huge complex need, could be currently realized by a "zero energy building"? (No nitpicking either;)) As far as I know, the Arabian countries are still not the world leader in saving energy and I doubt that their Indoor-ski-and-winter-resorts are climate neutral now - despite the now existing ZEBs (or I have missed something).

To your question ref. cetaceans in captivity: This should be probably discussed in another, better fitting thread. However, to make it short: Because we should have them as living ambassadors and raise awarness for their kind and threat (=poluting of the oceans and hunting in general). Because we should gather experience with them and breed them to support present and future conservation efforts. Things that we do already with many other - but not as hipped and sanctified - species.

Batto likes this.
  9. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

The Walrus and Penguins exhibits have been confirmed. Also for anyone wondering the rollercoaster in some of the images is the same type from SeaWorld San Diego.
    SeaWorld Abu Dhabi
    I have noticed the theme park hobbyists are much better at getting the inside scoop on what’s happening in SeaWorld right now so I will be following one of their news pages to see what I can catch.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. csartie

I wonder where the walruses are coming from? Surely not the US with only 13 left in the whole country.

11. Westcoastperson

I’m guessing either from one of their parks, even though they don’t have too many. Or they will come from China.

12. csartie

I feel like that would be a very poor decision, judging by the alarming rate at which the US population has been declining (40% of the living population from 2015 are now dead). I also question them possibly importing walruses from other countries when the US is in such need with their walrus program. I'd rather see a single productive and successful population than two dysfunctional ones.

I'm hoping they surprise me, I'll happily eat my words.

zoomaniac and Westcoastperson like this.
  13. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

14. Westcoastperson

@Bib Fortuna can we please not do this here. 1) you’ve already made this argument elsewhere 2) you know the poster has already read your argument 3) It’s common knowledge that poster is also long gone so there is no point to reply to him 4) nobody wants to pick a fight here we are just trying to post the news. If you want to revive this fight do it in one of the argument against cetacean captivity thread.

SwampDonkey and IndianRhino like this.
  15. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

csartie likes this.
  16. zoomaniac

A nice project, no doubt. But we have had many of such sustainability projects in the past at many expositions, haven't we? As long as the UAE do not follow up with action and still generate most (or a huge part) of their icome with selling petrol, this has only a white-washing-taste for me.

Batto likes this.
  17. Zooplantman

Well I was not making a point about the entire nation and its energy policies, only about the feasibility for a facility

zoomaniac likes this.
  18. zoomaniac

You're right. Although we must confess that "feasibility" is a little vague here, because we don't know if we can compare the (energy) requirements for the expo pavilion and the SW dome(s) 1:1.

19. Zooplantman

And that would be the task of a "Feasibility Study" should someone want to pursue the idea

20. csartie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SeaWorld Abu Dhabi to feature world's largest aquarium

Westcoastperson likes this.