Join our zoo community

Sea World Gold Coast 'Seaworld Gold Coast' acquiring gorillas, hippos?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Lyrebird, 19 Dec 2012.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

AAAH - point taken.

2. Tiger Taylor

Tiger Taylor Active Member

With the possibility of shambala shutting down, they could revert back to the original plan, and become a new home for their hippos?

3. FriendOfTheZoo

FriendOfTheZoo Well-Known Member

Sea World Gold Coast to get jungle with gorillas. Yes gorillas | News.com.au

GOLD Coast theme park Sea World is branching from marine to extreme with a new multi-million-dollar jungle-themed attraction featuring gorillas.

The exhibit, to open in 2015, will also include hippos, crocodiles and other animals as part of an African encounter attraction, the Gold Coast Bulletin reports.

The gorillas would be sourced from an international breeding program designed to shore up populations of the primate.

Sea World officials were yesterday tight-lipped about the project, which is the park's latest foray away from traditional marine-themed attractions.

An interactive dinosaur attraction was added this year.

A Sea World spokesman said the African safari-style attraction would be an exciting addition to the theme park, which forged its name on dolphin shows and aquarium exhibits.

"We are all excited about a wonderful new attraction which will be a Sea World first, but we're not able to release any more details just yet," he said.

Gorilla populations have been decimated, as one of the closest living relatives to humans battles loss of habitat and hunting for sport and meat.

There are about 50,000 gorillas left in the wild and just 600 of the famous mountain gorillas.

Only three parks in Australia have gorillas and none in Queensland, but it is understood Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast has expressed an interest in housing gorillas.

4. Interested

Interested Active Member 15+ year member

I would assume that they would give them a fairly decent and large exhibit (you would hope), and make it an 'interesting' experience.

If it turns out to be good... I may have to visit the Gold Coast. Yikes.

5. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would think that it will be a very naturalistic, attractive exhibit of a very good size.

It was a few years back but when they first opened te polar bear exhibit it was very good, not sure how it has aged?

I am very curious as to where they will get a family group from, Aspinal? Sydney paid I believe $1,000,000 so they would have gorillas for the Olympics. I wonder what the rate is now? Or will they be provided on a permenant loan?

I know l will definitely go, I think it will be a huge draw card and now with the Australan $ back to a more competitive rate, the number of tourists will increase.

6. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I agree that it will almost certainly be a very nice exhibit for all species, with extreme, Disney-style theming (not a bad thing necessarily), Sea World will certainly have the money for it. But I do wonder where it will be constructed, as I was under the impression that the Sea World site was rather limited in terms of size.

7. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Looking at their map they still appear to have plenty of room to build.

:p

Hix

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there are three photos on the following link which seem to be of the construction for the area (I have never been to Sea World so I don't know how reliable the photos are but it is headed with "Open Date: 2015
    Current Status: Announced
    Originally due in 2014, Sea Worlds newest animal exhibit is expected to include gorillas, hippos and crocodiles/alligators."):
    Unknown 'Wild' Animal Exhibit (Sea World) - Parkz: Australian Theme Parks

9. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Looks like Wild has been scrapped for the time being according to this source: Sea World update news?? - Theme Park Discussion - Parkz Forums - Theme Parks

10. MattyP

MattyP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11. Tricoart

Tricoart Well-Known Member

Seems it's on hold indefinitely, with their New Atlantis Precinct and all