Join our zoo community

SeaWorld Orlando SeaWorld Orlando News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 5 May 2009.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for all the info.

Just one thing: If and when you are not local and do not know the news it will take another day to figure out what species you are talking about.

2. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@TheAmurTiger: Looks as if we have an insider (or at least a very well informed person about SW) here. Thank you for your infos.

So sad about the walrus-calf. But thank you anyway for clarify the circumstances (I must confess that in this case I only read the headlines - shame on me).

3. TheAmurTiger

TheAmurTiger Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There was a miscommunication XD. For some reason I thought you were talking about the Commerson's dolphin calf at Aquatica Orlando. Kaboodle's pup is fine as far as I know, the pup's gender and name are still unknown, I've seen plenty of videos of Garfield and Kaboodle in Wild Arctic, but the pup is always hiding somewhere. SeaWorld has been pretty quiet about the calves around the parks lately, they still haven't even given a name to Takara's calf, the last orca born at the parks' gender still isn't even confirmed, just believed to be female. I guess they don't want another Moana situation.

I wouldn't consider myself an insider, I haven't been in years. But I totally stalk the animals online XD, YouTubers like Kalina Storm and Echo Beluga regularly visit the parks and give updates on SeaWorld's animals, that and I regularly watch Ceta Base's page on cetacean news around the world.

As for species, I mentioned a lot of movement of animals between Animal Care, Dolphin Cove, and Discovery Cove, those are all bottlenose dolphins, except CJ, he's half Atlantic bottlenose dolphin (his mother Jenny) and half Long-beaked common dolphin (his father Cooper).

Whisper and Naluark are belugas at Wild Arctic, Kaboodle, Garfield, and pup are walrus.

I mentioned the calf to Ringer, she and the males I mentioned are Commerson's dolphins.

I also mentioned Ace, Ava, Fredi, and Piper in the update, those are Short-finned pilot whales.

Unfortunately, I almost never find updates about the California sea lions, they'll mention the first two or three pups of the season, but that's all I ever get, I've been trying to at least get all of their names, all I have is Minerva, Coffee, Noelle, Fable, Miles, Rewind, Mario, Radley, Clark, Rocco, Rydel, Cha Cha, Finch, and OJ. I can't even find out who the parents of most of them are, I can confirm that Finch was one of a set of twins born in 2012 to Fable, however. All I know is that all but OJ, Rocco, and three males were born at SeaWorld Orlando. The other five were captured or rescued in California (I think OJ is the only capture).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. TheAmurTiger

News from SeaWorld Orlando. Whisper, the pregnant beluga, gave birth. The calf died very soon afterwards, as I had expected. Whisper has a horrible track record, this is her third failed calf. None have survived yet.

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. TheAmurTiger

It appears something is going on with Yar and Amara. First, in June, Yar moved into Dolphin Nursery, while EPCOT sent bottlenose dolphins named Khyber, Rainer, Calvin, and Malabar in August. In September, Chinook, Balla, Tatem, Lucky, and Hastings moved in from Dolphin Connection in preparation for Hurricane Irma.

Anyway, earlier this month, Amara arrived in Dolphin Nursery, while Yar went to Animal Care, even though all nine dolphins there are males. She had spent around three months in the nursery, the normal time for how long dolphins spend there before giving birth. Furthermore, back in 2015, Calla moved to Animal Care after miscarrying twins in a traumatic experience. It's possible this happened to Yar, since Calla was being held with a sick female named Dash. If Yar did have a stillbirth, the most likely sire is Tyler, though Roka is a pretty good possibility, since he and Tyler were sent away to avoid breeding. Tyler is more likely, since Dexter and Rascal refuse to mate with the females of Dolphin Cove. Amara's pregnancy would likely be natural, I think Discovery Cove would AI older animals like Kaylee, Dot, Catalina, or Maui before Amara. If so, the sure is most likely Capricorn or Lester, with a chance of it being CJ. By December I expect new females to move into the Nursery since Alpha and CJ have been in the Cove since November.

7. TheAmurTiger

Also, Kaboodle's pup is now named Ginger.

8. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Could you clarify for those of us who are not on a first name basis? Is Kaboodle one of the Bottlenose Dolphins?

Chlidonias likes this.
  9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I just assume that any name not attached to an animal is a capuchin monkey. It's easier that way. I'm always surprised how many capuchin monkeys SeaWorld has.

10. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Walruses

11. TheAmurTiger

Sorry to forget about the species. Kaboodle is the walrus that gave birth last year, there are several posts about her pup in this thread. Everyone else I spoke about was a bottlenose dolphin, I keep forgetting to mention species, I just know them by name XD.

12. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

13. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The rescued walrus calf from Alaska has joined SWF for his new home. Likely a good move since they have a female calf about the same age that was also hand raised.

14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  15. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

16. MidwestFan

New logo for SeaWorld?

[​IMG]

17. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

are there project plan antarctica pdf ?

18. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

are there project plan reef barrier pdf in discovery cove ?

19. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

20. MidwestFan

Beluga Grayson (M) transferred to the Georgia Aquarium on May 7, 2022.

Current Beluga Population at SWO:

SWF (2.0)
    Oliver M (b 06/23/2007)
    Nunavik M (b 12/14/2009)

Austin the Sengi likes this.