Join our zoo community

Seaworld- whale documentary

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Vulpes, 20 Jan 2010.

1. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if Seaworld has ever made documentaries about the day to day goings on in the place like the zoo programs we are all so familiar with? If not why?

Also are there any good documentaries anyone can think of about captive killer whales?

2. kc7gr

kc7gr Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes indeed. PBS's 'Frontline' did a fine documentary on the entire captive marine mammal business, about 12 or so years back. Some of the information is, I grant you, dated, but I still consider it a must-see for anyone interested in the field.

Look for "A Whale of a Business." Larger libraries should have it as a VHS tape (unfortunately, I don't think it was ever transferred to DVD, at least not officially).

Happy viewing.

3. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

I found it rather biased against marine parks but it's interesting none the less. It is rather out of date because since then the whole 'Keiko' business has finished with the resulting dying of this animal in Norway where it turned up begging for interaction and food from people. There is more information here including a link to the report publishing in "Marine Mammal Science" regarding the project.

FREE WILLY!*FREE KEIKO?

In the UK there was a series of documentaries about SeaWorld which followed it's staff and animals in their daily duties. It went out on Channel 5 in 2001. It was very interesting and appeared quite candid:

BFI | Film & TV Database | SEA WORLD

4. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I can see NatGeo making a documentary about the recent events at Seaworld. they have already made one about the tiger attack at San Fransisco zoo.

5. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

Absolutely, although I hope they hold off until the full enquiry is completed - but when have such things stopped the media :rolleyes:

6. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

7. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

that is obviously a small part of a documentry about whales do you know where I could find the rest of it?

where did you get the cove?

8. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

Yeah, I couldn't find any more of it :(

Well, I watched it online, via surfthechannel.com, but you can order it online from their website/Amazon. (I figured as it is something they want as many people as possible to watch, and I probably wouldn't buy it otherwise, it was ok ;).) It's really interesting, if a *little* anti-captivity at times, but still worth seeing if you disagree with some bits of it etc. I don't think anyone could disagree with the fact that the kind of dolphin slaughter shown is pretty cruel. It's really well made too.