Join our zoo community

Zoobotánico Jerez Seeing the iberian lynx

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Arizona Docent, 30 Apr 2013.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

To see or not to see, that is the question.

The answer is it depends how tall you are. The lynx exhibit itself is clearly the crown jewel of this otherwise dismal zoo (one of the worst I have ever seen). However, the viewing is horrendous. There are two large glass panels, one at each end, but there are no overhangs or coverings and the glare is so bad that it is virtually impossible to see in. Really the worst glare I ever remember seeing at any zoo exhibit anywhere. There is a rope barrier that keeps visitors a few feet away from the glass so you cannot go up against it and shade it yourself.

The length of the exhibit, between the two windows, has thin black wire that is easy enough to see through. Except that the bottom half, up to about five feet, is covered with mesh to prevent viewing. This also has a rope barrier to prevent you from going right up to the fence. The ground below the rope has a short log, about six inches tall, and the only way I could get photos was to stand on the log on my tiptoes and shoot through the uncovered upper fence portion. I could just barely manage it and I am 6 feet 3 inches tall. If you are under six feet you will not be able to get photos here or even a good view.

Two Spanish photographers showed up in the afternoon and just ignored the ropes and went right up to the fence and glass. They tried to get me to do the same, but being the good docent that I am, I resisted. Still, it is frustrating to say the least that the premiere exhibit at the zoo and the only one in the world for this species has such terrible viewing. If any of you plan to go and want photos, I suggest you take a stepstool (really).

I should add that the male spends the day in a tree so he is easily visible through the upper fence even if you are shorter. But he has a metal fence directly behind and above him, so there are no good photo ops - the female on the ground is the one to get. (Staff confirmed that he stays up there all the time).

2. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

But the question is, did you get some good photos?

3. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Take good pics in this exhibit it's not easy but not almost impossible, this is what seems reading your post. ;)

the zoo don't have the best exhibits I agree with you, but the conservation/reintroduction, and educational programs are probably the best in Spain and one's of the best managed in Europe.

4. Arizona Docent

Yes, photos forthcoming in the next day or two (or maybe even tonight).

5. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

I think KEEPER's post really tells everything. The exhibits aren´t the best, but the Conservation Programs they do for Spanish/Iberian species are incredible, as the Iberian Lynxes show, with breeding sucess.

6. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

To call the enclosures in Jerez "not the best" is the understatement of the year. Really. I commend them for their in situ conservation programs, but the zoo as a ZOO is horrible and they should rather adress this ASAP. Or close and just concentrate on in-situ-work. I couldn`t recommend a visit to Jerez to anyone who isn`t an Iberian lynx fanatic. It`s that bad.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  7. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

I have to agree, but don´t be that harsh. If some species were sent to other zoos and just focus on the endangered ones they could have much better exhibits. Maybe with the new Lynx exhibit they can make more money and then renovate the zoo!?

8. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips AD. I had a lot of luck with the lynxes. I've put a photo up in the gallery, and more should follow soon. I also mentioned them on my 'Asian Adventure' thread if you're after a little bit more detail.

9. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It seems as a third Iberian lynx has been put on display :).

10. Arizona Docent

Wow, this is really good news. (I wonder if they will ever make some available to the new Paris zoo as shown on their master plan?)

11. Arizona Docent

Followup - the last issue of the Journal of the Feline Conservation Federation has one my Jerez lynx photos as the cover image.

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I do hope this does happen :) be the first time any were displayed outside the Iberian Peninsula since Pont-Scorff a decade ago.

13. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What nonsense...yes its a fences and cages zoo for the most part and some a little small, but most of the animals are in excellent condition and the place is very clean.You can see ssp sahariensis of Barbary Sheep(probably the only captive herd,and in great condition),Spanish Imperial Eagle,Lesser Kestrels breeding well,European Mink, and of course the legendary Spanish Lynx. I CAN recommend a visit to anyone who interested in zoology.Its that good.
    P.S. Now 3.3 lynx at the zoo with hope of a pregnancy at the current time.
    P.P.S.This zoo is working hard on local species projects with Waldrapp,Marbled Teal,Lesser Kestrel, as well as Spanish Lynx,it deserves kinder words than Yassas "encouragement".

Kakapo likes this.
  14. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1.2 Iberian Lynx are now used as 'exhibit-animals', with the others being off-show.
    Tim Brown and I saw 2 specimens on our visit to Jerez a few days ago. The lynx seemed pretty unfazed by visitors and were coming up to the front of the enclosure.
    As captive breeding continues to expand numbers, we'll probably see this lynx taxon turning up in other zoos - at least in Spain & Portugal - before too long.

15. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree with you Tim, I went there this summer and although I was warned that the Zoo is not the best I enjoyed the visit a lot and indeed some enclosures could be bigger everything is quite decent.

Kakapo likes this.
  16. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And the suggestion that the zoo should change its enclosures overnight (with public money) or,better still, use public funds(it is municipal) for in situ work(oh I get it now, councils paying for projects outside of their vicinity) is simplistic if not naïve.If my local council wants to support conservation work in Madagascar,it is fine by me but I doubt that many other ratepayers will see it that way-honestly!

Kakapo likes this.
  17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I dearly hope that this is indeed the case - it is a damn shame nowhere in the UK was particularly interested in having them back when Riber Castle was breeding them on a regular basis!

18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Esperanza, the first Iberian lynx put on display, has put asleep. She had age-related problems due to her 13 years of age :(
    Another pair still is on display at the moment at Jerez.

19. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

What a pity, a beautiful animal. My first (and until now my only) female Iberian lynx. :)

20. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I don't know if back in 2013-2014, when these comments were writen, the zoo was so bad as stated, but I've visited a week ago and while is not one of the great zoos of the world, is not bad for a small zoo. Some enclosures are subpar, most are decent and some are very good. None are terrible.

I think the worst part of the zoo are the visitors indeed. And the lack of vigilance/warning about them (many animals have probably a daily dosis of industrial snacks...)

SivatheriumGuy likes this.