Join our zoo community

Seoul Zoo Seoul zoo News (Oct.2012~Feb.2013)

Discussion in 'South Korea' started by Jihoon Lee, 28 Feb 2013.

1. Jihoon Lee

Jihoon Lee Member

1. New animal arrival in total
    -White Rhino 'Mandella' (Male/ From: Singapore zoo, Singapore)
    -Giant Anteater 'Bong-Bong' (Male/ From: Guyana zoo, Guyana)
    -3 Mandrills(1 Male, 2 Female/ From: ZOO Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic)
    -Western Lowland Gorilla 'Ujiji' (Male/ From: Port Lympne Wild Animal Park, UK)
    -Przewalski's Horse 'Yong-bo' (Male/ From: Taipei zoo, Taiwan)

2. About dolphin 'Jaedo-ri'
    Seoul Zoo's Youngest Pacific Dolphin 'Jaedo-ri' will be back to the wild. It is because he was captured in the ocean near from Jeju island, illegally by the dolphin show owner and he exchanged 'Jaedo-ri' with Seoul zoo's 4 Californian sea lions. Since the police and the court sentenced him to be in prison and NGOs purchased Seoul zoo to sent 'Jaedo-ri' into the wild, Seoul zoo decided him to be free. The dolphin show in Seoul zoo will be stop until 'Jaedo-ri' released to the wild and the zoo planned some training, so that this dolphin can survive against the harsh sea-life. The dolphin will be sent to the wild in this April. If 'Jaedo-ri' returns to his habitat, 4 Pacific dolphins will be remain in the zoo for the show and the education for tourists.

3. Renovating the enclosure
    Yet there are many animal enclosures in Seoul zoo is still unsuitable for animals, those who're living there, and too old and old-fashioned but there were many improvements had done nowadays. Seoul zoo had done successful on their new renovated animal enclosures like the new Ape House and the First African Pavilion in 2009, the new Second African Pavilion in 2010, the new Malayan Sun Bear enclosure in 2011 and the new Tropical Birds hall in 2012.
    This year, Seoul zoo will renovating the old animal enclosures again.The Beast Pavilion and the Small Carnivores pavilion will be renovated in this time. As the result, animals like Siberian Tiger, Jaguar will be living in the Fox pavilion for the moment and rest of the animals like Puma, Skunk and Lynx, will be off display before the construction ends in this December 31st.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2013
  2. Jihoon Lee

Jihoon Lee Member

To add more, 'Jaedo-ri' will become Asia's first captured dolphin released into the wild, if this dolphin released to the sea, nearby the Jeju Island in this April.

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Question about the White Rhino, Giant anteater and the Gorilla. Were there already females for these species at Seoul Zoo and if not , are they expecting ones ?
    For the rest, very intresting news !

4. Jihoon Lee

Jihoon Lee Member

Seoul zoo had already have 4 White Rhinos(1M, 3F), 2 Giant Anteaters (2F), 1 Gorilla (1F), 4 Przewalski's Horses (1M, 3F). Seoul zoo needed males because it was difficult to breed without it. Anteaters and Gorilla's male had passed away and White Rhino and Przewalski's Horse male were too old to breed, so Seoul zoo required an animal exchange with zoos in the foreign countries like Singapore zoo and Taipei zoo so new males came to Seoul zoo and animals like Amur leopard, Himalayan Tahr, Babary Sheep were sent to foriegn zoos. To add a glad information again, a pair of the Seoul zoo's Brazilian Tapir will soon give a birth to their new baby, according to the zoo while ago.

5. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Do you know what was sent to Singapore Zoo?

6. Jihoon Lee

Jihoon Lee Member

There's no animal had been sent to Singapore yet, but since they got a new male White rhino, Seoul zoo will send another endangered species to Singapore, if White rhinos in Seoul zoo get their babies successful.

7. Terp

Terp Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jihoon -

Do you by chance know what species of seal and sea lion are kept at the zoo at the moment?

I visited this zoo about four years, ago - it would seem quite a bit has been built up since then. While some of the exhibits were far better than others, overall I found it quite an interesting collection and hope to go back again some day. Unfortunately, I took very few photos at the time!

8. Jihoon Lee

Jihoon Lee Member

This is the list about the species of seals and sea lions in Seoul zoo.

- Californian sea lion
    - Spotted seal
    - Steller sea lion
    - South american sea lion
    - Harbor seal

The seal exhibition in the zoo was built about 30 years ago and is connected with the Dolphin show building. The zoo called these place as the Marine pavilion. This pavilion includes
    Jackas penguins and polar bears too, but there are no polar bears in Seoul zoo yet, because the last polar bear in the zoo died in 2009. If the new pair of polar bears come from Moscow zoo in the near future, there will be a brand-new renovation like what Ueno zoo in Tokyo, Japan had done.
    I will post new photos about the seal and sea lions in Seoul zoo somedays in the blog, since you like the exhibition.

9. Duerener1

Duerener1 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hy

Ist the seoul Zoo the Grand Park Zoo????

10. Jihoon Lee

Jihoon Lee Member

Yes it is. But Seoul zoo is a part of the Seoul grand park. About 70 percent
    of the Seoul grand park area is zoo.

11. Terp

Terp Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for posting Jihoon. Appreciate the list as it's been bugging me since I was there, I'm not sure the signage was all that good in parts of the zoo.

We were at the zoo on a cold morning in March 2010 and had the place almost to ourselves - I have a great memory of a very large, male South American sea lion who came right up to the end of his pool and popped his huge head up right at the wall to have a 'chat'. Also, don't often get to see the impressive Stellar sea lions.

Alas, we were having camera 'issues' that day, and the only one I have is of this little guy - which I've attached (hopefully).

Attached Files:

12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Jihoon Lee, I traced this news item of a male rhino mysteriously killing itself on escape (diagnosis: heart attack) at Seoul Zoo. I sure hope it is not the new male from Singapore Zoo (which somehow I have an uneasy feeling it might well be this one).
    Link: KBS GLOBAL

Also, I would appreciate the names and ages of the other white rhinos. I have it on good info there are two females from around 1982 (this one bred before and had a calf in 1996) / 1983 and the female born in February 1996.

From my perspective I would say there is a good chance the 1996 female might breed, but the other two … Also, it would be wise to separate the mother and daughter … as sure as rain the latter will not cycle properly …! Perhaps you can inform zoo management on that!

14. Jihoon Lee

Jihoon Lee Member

@Kifaru Bwana

Sorry for sending late. These are the answers of mine to your questions.

1. Luckly, Mandela, the young male rhino that came from Singapore Zoo is OK and he is healthy. The rhino which had died was the 33 years old male rhino, called "Codori". As you said Codori died because of the heart attack, caused by the shock while keepers were trying to stop and control the escape. The escape happened suddenly because of the keeper's mistake and plus the old facilities of this exhibition.

2. There are 3 female rhinos in the zoo currently and those are the names and details of those 3 female rhinos.

- Cosuni (Born in 1982, came from Japan in 1990s with Sumi and Codori/ Chomi's mother)
    - Sumi (Born in 1983, came from Japan in 1990s with Cosuni and Codori)
    - Chomi (Born in 1996 in Seoul zoo, Cosuni and Codori is her parent/ succeed mating with Mandela in this Summer and I hope Mandela and Sumi could get their offspring in near future)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am glad things are looking well and better still that some breeding has taken place. It seems my prediction that the young 1996 female would be the first to breed has materialized. I hope you are right that Sumi and perhaps even the mother Cosuni will breed too in the near future.
    Well done to keepers' and staff I would say!

Oh, there is a nice wordpress on the web on a rhino whisperer who has worked at Seoul Zoo. Here is the link: TO TOUCH A RHINOCEROS

See what you make of it (the bit about a male calf, and several others born since is a bit puzzling)!