Join our zoo community

Shedd Aquarium Shedd Aquarium Species List And Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by CMP, 28 Jul 2021.

1. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

I will be creating a species list in this thread based off of my visit to Shedd Aquarium on the lakefront of Chicago, Il on 7/27/21. Shedd is often regarded as on of the best aquariums in the world and also the Zoological institution with the most species, with the number of around 1500 often attributed. A large portion of these are either not on display or unsigned, but there are still countless hundreds that are so those are what will be listed here. (Well, not quite countless, as I intend to do just that;))
    I will be using pictures I took of the signage to create this list. I tried my best to take record of every species signage, and for the most part I did, but more on that later.

Some disclaimers first; I'll include scientific names where I took record of them. About 3/4 of the aquarium's signage is on digital tablets, and while these are necessary to display the large numbers of species in certain tanks, I much prefer the vertical signage cards still used in half the historical galleries. That being said, you can exit into a menu and view multiple species at once, but only common names are given. There is certainly space for species names on there and I wish that they would add scientific names on the menu as well. I used the menu for the sake of time and my sanity rather than going through 20 individual screens at each enclosure. Quite regrettably, I didn't take record of the number of species signed in each enclosure even though that number was often provided, I think I didn't notice them until it was too late. However for the numbers that I did record (Accidently) they matched the numbers that I came up with from my list, so I'll just include the number from my list with this slight disclaimer that there may actually be more species in the various enclosures than I claim.
    I was also traveling with a rather uninterested group, which meant I was slightly rushed for time and so that means that Amazon Rising, Underwater Beauty, and Wild Reef may be incomplete in order of incompleteness. I do regret this but with the exception of Wild Reef the vast majority of species and certainly those that will be of increased interest should be recorded. I hope to be back at some point in the upcoming year so I'll do my best to complete the list if that happens. I may have also simply missed some signage, the place is very massive.
    I'll also note if I observed any unsigned species and a short description of the exhibits.

For now, I'll post the list for one gallery at a time once I complete them. I will also include a list of every species I observed and identified once I complete this list, and hopefully there I will include some of the missing scientific names. Alright, onto the first gallery: Amazon Rising!

Last edited: 28 Jul 2021
    DaLilFishie, MRJ and StoppableSan like this.
  2. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Amazon Rising

First Hallway 9 enclosures, dark, entrance to Amazon Rising:

Row of 3 tanks that are connected above water along a hallway as you enter Amazon Rising, these species freely move between the enclosures (8 species): Spiny-headed tree lizard (Plica plica), Yellow-footed tortoise (Chelonoidis denticulatus), Brazilian teal (Amazonetta brasiliensis), White-faced whistling duck (Dendrocygna viduata), Wattled jacana (Jacana jacana), Ruddy duck, Blue ameiva, Red-footed tortoise
    1. River’s edge A large tank with viewing from two corners as you enter Amazon Rising, one of which always has an impressive school of angelicus catfish. There is land that is planted behind where the free ranging animals can be that is connected with the other three exhibits, but despite the illusion the tanks remain separate. (20 species+ 8 Free ranging):
      Red bellied silver dollar, Cupid cichlid (Biotodoma cupido), Catfish (Pimelodus blochii), Adonis catfish (Acanthicus adonis), Sheep-pacu (Acnodon normani), Barbed catfish (Pseudorinelepis genibarbis), Angelicus catfish (Pimelodus pictus), Tiger stingray (Potamotrygon tigrina), Leopard frog pleco (Peckoltia compta), Ancistrus ‘tapajos’ ‘L213’ (Ancistrus sp.2), Dorado catfish (Brachyplatystoma rousseauxii), Spotted shath catfish (Hemisorubim platyrhynchos), Sturgeon catfish (Platystomatichthys sturio), Pinktail chalceus (Chalceus macrolepidotus), Amazon puffer, Banded banjo, Giant bumblebee catfish, Largemouth cichlid, Skinny tiger tetra, Blue emperor tetra
    2. Floodplain Lake A second large tank with one large viewing window. There is land that is planted behind where the free ranging animals can be that is connected with the other three exhibits, but despite the illusion the tanks remain separate. (10 species+ 8 Free ranging): Triangle cichlid, Adonis catfish (Acanthicus adonis), Banded leporinus, Whitestriped catfish, Horsehead catfish, Tigerstriped shovelnose catfish, Spotted sheath catfish, Trahira, Blue-eye panaque, Yellowfin chalceus, Emerald cichlid
    3. Dry Forest There is a large land area for tortoises, as well as a land area that is planted behind where the free ranging animals can be that is connected with the other three exhibits. The fish are in a small tank within the exhibit. (11 species+ 8 Free ranging): Darter characin, Corydoras catfish, Royal farlowella, Ember tetra, Tiger loricaria, Rio salinas catfish, Checkerboard cichlid, Leopard frog pleco, Bushynose catfish, X-ray tetra, Sterbai’s catfish, Otocinclus
    Life in the Amazon 6 small terrariums in a themed forest hut setting for arthropods and herps (7 species):
    4. Goliath bird-eater tarantula (Theraphosa blondi)​
    Two side-by side terrariums:
    5. Blue bottle tarantula (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens), Unsigned stick insect
    6. Phantasmal dart frog; Zaryunga morph (Epipedobates anthonyi), Unsigned small gecko-
    like lizard; probably the Yellow-headed gecko signed in a later terrarium​
    Two hollowed out tree stumps and a hole into the ground
    7. Amazon milk frog (Trachycephalus resinifictrix)
    8. Giant peruvian cockroach (Blaberus giganteus) adult
    9. Giant peruvian cockroach (Blaberus giganteus) juveniles in hole​

Second Hallway, 12 enclosures, well lit (Too well lit, very bright and way too much glare!)
    10. Rainy forest A medium tank with one viewing window. There is land that is planted behind
    where the Caiman always are out of sight (13 species): Dwarf caiman, Mata mata, Striped rafael catfish, Threespot leporinus, Redtailed dwarf cichlid, False silver tetra, Coffee bean tetra, Silver dollar, Striped headstander, Neon tetra, Spotted rafael catfish, Spotted leporinus, Diagonalstrip catfish​
    11. Floodplain Lake A very large tank with one very large viewing window (25 Species): Yellow-
    spotted Amazon river turtle, Bushynose pleco, Banded leporinus, Marbled headstander, Striped headstander, Parrot cichlid, Redtail hemiodus, Black arawana, Headstander, Redhook myleus, Triangle cichlid, Silver prochilodus, Adonis catfish, Disk tetra, Ternetz’s headstander Winemiller’s eartheater, Trahira, Threespot headstander, Shovelnose catfish, Flag tail prochilodus, Elongate hatchetfish, Yellowfin chalceus, Cichlid (Sp.), Meyer’s basketmouth cichlid, White-blotched river stingray, Threadfin cichlid​
    Row of terrariums, tall oval shaped in between large tanks. The herp inhabitants were all switched up and many were not in the habitats where they were signed but a different one. (8 Total Species signed) :
    12. Giant monkey frog (Phyllomedusa bicolor), Dyeing poison dart frog; cobalt morph
    (Dendrobates tinctorius), Black-legged poison dart frog (Phyllobates bicolor), Emerald tree boa (Corallus batesii) was also here unsigned​
    13. Fringed leaf frog (Cruziohyla craspedopus)
    14. Yellow-headed gecko (Gonatodes albogularis), Dyeing poison dart frog; Powder-blue
    morph (Dendrobates tinctorius), Mimic poison dart frog; Varadero morph (ranitomeya imitator)​
    15. Emerald tree boa (Corallus batesii), Mimic poison dart frog (Ranitomeya imitator),
    Silverstone’s poison dart frog (Ameerega silverstonei), Dyeing poison dart frog; Azureus morph (Dendrobates tinctorius)​
    16. Rain Wall Small enclosure, same shape and size as the terrariums (7 Species): Twist-necked turtle, Spotfin tetra, Leopard frog pleco, Otocinclus, Glowlight tetra, Imitating cory, Amazon puffer, Smokey jungle frog was unsigned here​

17. Floating Meadow This is probably the tank where the glare is the worst, it is very difficult to
    see anything in the large tank, and that makes pretty much impossible to spot the south american lungfish! (27 Species): Caiman lizard, Flagtail porthole catfish, Panda catfish, Blacknostril catfish, Holstein tatia, Blue discus, Catfish (Sp.), Porthole catfish, South american lungfish, Smokey jungle frog, Zebra sucker catfish, Beckford’s pencilfish, Straightfinned black tetra, Spotted headstander, Green neon tetra, Blackline penguin tetra, Bushynose catfish, Lemon tetra, Orangtrim sucker catfish, Common brochis, Honeycomb woodcat, Leopard frog pleco, Otocinclus, Flag cichlid, Amazon puffer, Freshwater angelfish, Vampire shrimp​
    18. Floodplain House Habitat Another large tank full of glare, (15 Species): Pinktail chalceus, Red
    piranha, Catfish (Panaque sp.), Catfish (Scobinancistrus aureatus), Scarlet catfish, Pleco suckermouth catfish, Giant plated catfish, Black ghost knifefish, Red-headed Geophagus, Plecostomus, South american wolffish, Bucktooth tetra, Royal plecostomus, Scarlet pleco ‘Lo25’, Largemouth cichlid​
    19. Anaconda Habitat Another large tank full of glare, but also a large aboveground area with
    much anaconda shedding (15 Species): Red discus, Striped silver dollar, Mouthbrooder,
    Slopehead Catfish, Tiger knife fish, Rio Negro river stingray, Ternetz’s headstander, Silver dollar (Sp.), Headstander, Pretty chalcinus tetra, Catfish (sp.), Catfish (Sp.), Red tail hemoidus, Silver dollar (Sp.), Green Anaconda​
    20. Muddy Forest Habitat A tall enclosure with netting above, providing ample free-flight space (1
    species): Hawk-headed parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)​
    21. River Channel Habitat A very large and very impressive corner tank (13 Species): Spot-bellied
    side-necked turtle, Geoffroy’s side-necked turtle, Giant river turtle, Ceja river stingray, White-blotched river stingray, Arapaima, Catfish (sp.), Redtail catfish, Striped shovelnose catfish, Tambaqui, Ripsaw catfish, Largemouth cichlid, Painted catfish​

Third Hallway A dark gallery hallway with a row of brightly colored medium sized tanks full with smaller colorful fish:

22. Arthropod Terrarium Small planted terrarium (2 species): Ecuadorian purple pinktoe tarantula
    (Avicularia purpurea), Peruvian green-and-gold millipede (Orthoporus sp.)​
    23. Electric Eel Habitat Medium sized lushly planted tank (1 species): Electric eel
    24. Fish Hobby Habitat Medium sized tank with many colorful fish (18 Species): Bleeding heart
    tetra, Red phantom tetra, Dwarf pencilfish, Headstander, Colombian flame tetra, Cichlid (sp.), Savanna tetra, Emperor tetra, Amazon puffer, Leopard frog pleco, Glass bloodfin tetra, Lemon tetra, redspotted tetra, Harold shultz’s catfish, redeye tetra, Delphaz catfish, Shwartz’s catfish, common brochis​
    25. Diversity Habitat Incomplete list, Medium sized lushly planted tank (23 Species): Catfish(Sp.),
    Green phantom pleco, Dwarf marbled catfish, Glass headstander, Largescale foureyes, Emperor tetra, Eigenmann’s catfish, Meyer’s basketmouth cichlid, Tiger loricaria, Suckermouth catfish, Colombian flame tetra, Tiger loricaria, Amazon puffer, Inspector catfish, Spotted feather catfish, Golden nugget pleco, Plain silver dollar, Threespot headstander, Penquin hemiodus, Lobetoothed piranha, Blue discus, Spotted rafael catfish, Spotted pike characin​
    26. Beauty of the Amazon Habitat Incomplete list, Large, long sized lushly planted tank (9
    Species): Red-headed side-neck turtle, Tiger pleco ‘Loo2’, Concolor cory catfish, Cardinal tetra, Amazon puffer, Marbled hatchetfish, Green phantom pleco, River hatchetfish, Britski’s catfish
    Overall, Amazon Rising is a very impressive gallery with many species of fish, 5 bird species, 16 species of reptile, 9 amphibian species, 6 arthropod species, no mammal species, and a total of 233 species signed between the tanks, although that includes repeats and may be missing some species. The loss of any mammal species is made up by the diversity of other classes (Including 3 fish Classes!), including charismatic large fish and reptile species like the very active Caiman lizard and turtles, and the awe-inspiring Arapaima, Arowana, and massive catfish. It would be nice if they add back some of the bird and small monkey species and add in sloths above some of the exhibits, which have plenty of planted space above, though. The hawk-headed parrots are nice additions, although it feels so out of place that they are in such a large enclosure as a single-species set up when compared to the overwhelming diversity of the enclosures all around it! Honestly, that is the reason why I don't like Amazon Rising more. Too many species! It is very hard to find them all, and can get a bit overwhelming especially with the glare. But apart from the glare, I'd say that is a wonderful problem to have!

Last edited: 28 Jul 2021
  3. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

The next posts will be for both Wild Reef and the Special exhibit, Underwater Beauty. I'll post both because, rather unfortunately seeing as some of the most interesting species are in these two exhibits, I have incomplete lists for both. The good news is that from here on out I should have record of nearly everything signed.

In the case of Wild Reef, I simply didn't take pictures for much of the signage, which I very much regret because I didn't get a chance to go back down there like I planned, as I received a call that my group had left the building! It turns out, they were just waiting around in the park area outside the aquarium. There is no reentry, so I've never been so frustrated to eat an ice cream :rolleyes:

Wild Reef

1. Sea Nettles A Jelly tank outside the entrance elevator to Wild Reef (1 Species):Atlantic
    coast sea nettle (Chrysaora quinquecirrha)​
    Many tanks skipped

2. Garden Eel tank INCOMPLETE Nice, well lit medium sized tank: Philippine garden eel,
    Spotted garden eel, Vagabond butterflyfish​
    3. Lobster and Cowfish tank INCOMPLETE Nice, well lit medium sized tank: Wide-eye
    shovelnose lobster, Sculptured slipper lobster, Longhorn cowfish, Tomato clown, +2 rockfish like fish​
    Many tanks skipped

4. Walk-on Stingray tank Very cool shallow stingray tank that you can walk over the glass for
    part of! (3 species):
    Ribbontail stingray (Taeniura lymma), Fiddler ray (Trygonorrhina fasciata), Blue spotted stingray (Neotrygon kuhlii)​
    5. Main Shark Reef INCOMPLETE Very nice, large, nicely decorated and lit tank that curves
    inward slightly:
    Green sawfish, Zebra shark, Blacktip reef shark, Spotted wobbegong shark, Sandbar shark, Queensland grouper, Achilles tang, Yellowbanded sweetlip, Yellowtail fusilier, Golden trevally, Blue-lined snapper, Sergeant major​
    6. Wrasse Tank Tall, vertical tank with an impressive array of very colorful Wrasses (12 species):
    Dotted wrasse (Cirrhilabrus punctatus), Deepwater wrasse (Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus), Orangeback fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis), Exquisite wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus), Purplelined wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lineatus), Threadfin wrasse (Cirrhilabrus temminckii), Blueside wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura), Lubbock’s wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki), Laboute’s fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus laboutei), Yellowfin flasher wrasse (Paracheilinus flavianalis), Pink flasher wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri), McCosker’s flasher wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)​
    7. Row of Micro reef tanks 4 or 5 very small tanks for very small inhabitants of the coral reefs,
    signed together (5 Species):
    Tiger tail seahorse, Yellow clown goby, Pink skunk clownfish, Cave shrimp, Open brain coral​
    8. Smaller reef tank INCOMPLETE Tank with more reef animals: Picturesque dragonet, Banded
    coral shrimp​
    9. Mangrove tank 1 Open topped dimly lit tank covered by mock mangroves. Some inhabitants
    of this and the other mangrove tank across from it have swapped signage (7 Species): Whitespotted bamboo shark, Green scat, Silver mono, Kole tang, Two-lined monocle bream, Unsigned archerfish and long slender fish​
    10. Mangrove tank 2 INCOMPLETE open topped tank with a little less moc mangroves.
    Some inhabitants of this and the other mangrove tank across from it have swapped signage: Whitespotted bamboo shark, Coral catshark, Vlaming’s tang, Threadfin butterflyfish, Lemonpeel angelfish, Jansen’s wrasse, Harlequin sweetlips, Vagabond butterflyfish, Longnose hawkfish, Tomato clownfish, Silver mono, Emperor snapper​
    11. Coral propagation tank Tank for showcasing the work Shedd does with raising and
    propagating endangered corals (8 Species): Bartletts’ anthias (Pseudanthias bartlettorum), Purple queen anthias (Pseudanthias tuka), Copperband butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus), Flamefin tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis), Kole tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus), Racoon butterflyfish (Chaetodon lunula), Sailfin tang (Zebrasoma veliferum), Fire urchin (Astropyga radiata)​

Last edited: 31 Jul 2021
  4. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

This list is also incomplete, so that is why I'm posting it next to the Wild Reef list, otherwise you would probably go through other galleries before you get to Underwater Beauty from Wild Reef. I took pictures of all the signage, or at least I thought I did, until I looked back and realized that there were tablets scrolling through all of the unsigned inhabitants of each room. I didn't notice those tablets and so I only will record the species that were listed on the signage next to each tank, even though there are more in each tank that were signed.

Underwater Beauty, special exhibit

1. Shimmer tall round tank showcasing the shimmering of schooling fish (1 Species): Inland
    silverside (Menidia beryllina)​
    Color
    2. Red lushly planted small tank: Cherry barb (Puntius titteya)
    3. Orange small saltwater tank: Orange anthias (Pseudanthias dispar)
    4. Yellow small saltwater tank: Yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
    5. Green small planted tank: a plant was signed instead of the fish
    6. Blue small saltwater tank: Andaman damselfish (Pomacentrus alleni)
    7. Purple small saltwater tank: Purple sea urchin (Strongylocentrotus purpuratus), Purple sea star
    (Pisaster ochraceus)​

Pattern and rhythm
    8. Cuttlefish tank i’ll consider this tank second place to Ocean Voyager (The whale shark tank at
    Georgia) in terms of my favorite exhibits in any aquarium. The Cuttlefish are so spectacular with their skin actively and visibly pulsing by changing color, as well as literally walking along the sand bottom with their arms, and the Showcasing and Display is so successful, that this is my favorite species and tank in the whole aquarium and the highlight of the visit. (There is also another cuttlefish species later on as well! Ahh, Shedd…): Flamboyant cuttlefish (Metasepia pfefferi)​
    9. Cichlids tank another small well planted tank: Cockatoo dwarf cichlid (Apistogramma
    cacatuoides), Ram cichlid (Mikrogeophagus ramierezi)​
    10. Mantis shrimp tank small saltwater tank: Peacock mantis shrimp (Odontodactylus scyllarus)
    11. Freshwater bubble small bubble planted tank: Zebra pleco (Hypancistrus zebra), Zebra
    danio (Danio rerio), Black phantom tetra (Hyphessobrycon megalopterus)​
    12. Saltwater tank small saltwater tank: Banggai cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni), Orangespot
    filefish (Oxymonacanthus longirostris)​
    13. Mimicry tank medium saltwater tank: Mimic filefish (Paraluteres prionurus), Saddled puffer
    (Canthigaster valentini), Four-eyed butterflyfish (Chaetodon capistratus)​
    14. Studfish and sunfish small planted tank: Northern studfish (Fundulus catenatus,
    Pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomus gibbosus)​
    15. Pajama Cardinalfish mangrove saltwater bubble tank: Pajama cardinalfish (Sphaeramia
    nematoptera)​
    16. Seadragon tank saltwater tank: Weedy seadragon (Phyllopteryx taeniolatus)
    17. Underwater Beauty main tank large saltwater tank with impressive fish variety: Arabian
    angelfish (Pomacanthus asfur), Blue girdled angelfish (Pomacanthus navarchus), Harlequin tuskfish (Choerodon fasciatus), Golden butterflyfish (Chaetodon semilarvatus), Blueface angelfish (Pomacanthus xanthometopon), Moorish idol (Zanclus cornutus), Purple square anthias (Pseudanthias pleurotaenia), Powder blue tang (Acanthurus leucosternon), Purple tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum), Pyramid butterflyfish (Hemitaurichthys Polylepis), Red coris wrasse (Coris gaimard), Scribbled angelfish (Chaetodontoplus duboulayi), Spotted trunkfish (Lactophrys bicaudalis)​
    18. Ribbon eel tank small saltwater tank: Ribbon eel (Rhinomuraena quaesita), Scissortail goby
    (Ptereleotris evides)​
    19. Rainbowfish and glass catfish medium sized planted tank: Threadfin rainbowfish
    (Iriatherina werneri), Glass catfish (Kryptopterus minor)​
    20. Sexy shrimp tank small reef tank: Sexy shrimp (Thor amboinensis)
    21. Jelly tank cylinder jelly tank: Spotted jelly (Phyllorhiza punctata), Lagoon jelly (Mastigias
    papua)​
    22. Nettle tank cylinder jelly tank: Pacific sea nettle (Chrysaora fuscescens)
    23. Jelly tank cylinder jelly tank: Blue blubber jelly
    24. Large freshwater tank, no signage next to it, but there were many vibrantly colorful freshwater fish in a large, round planted tank, like Discus, Rainbowfish, and Tetras
    Overall, I think Underwater Beauty is a very nice special exhibit that showcases many very interesting aquatic animals in a way that hasn't really been done before. My main gripe is that the signage for many other than the focus species was hard to find, especially in a small crowded walkway. I'd say that you should try to get to Shedd as soon as possible if you can, as Special exhibits normally rotate every 3 years, so even with covid, a new exhibit may replace it at some point in the next few years.

5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting. So the parrot replaced the monkeys.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

I believe the monkeys were dwindling in numbers as well. No sign of any Araçaris either, but I'd say Hawk-headed parrots are a cool addition and a worthy replacement.

birdsandbats and csartie like this.
  7. birdsandbats

I don't think Shedd has had Aracaris for years now. No argument the parrots are awesome.

CMP likes this.
  8. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Abbott Oceanarium

Lower level 1:
    1. Cuttlefish tank open topped tank at the end of a cascading mountain brook that runs along
    the walkway down to the oceanarium (1 species):
    Common Cuttlefish (Sepia officinalis)​
    2. Sea lion a rather quite small alcove for a sea lion at the bottom of the stairs and across from
    the Cuttlefish and Beluga tanks (1 species):
    California sea lion (Zalophus californianus)​
    3. Beluga above water viewing a large open-topped pool with a rockwork representation of the
    Pacific Northwest Coast (1 Species):
    Beluga whale (Delphinapterus leucas)​
    4. Pacific white-sided dolphin above water viewing after passing through some more
    rockwork you enter an auditorium where the dolphins spend much of their time but the belugas also occasionally get access to, as well as another pool for the dolphins afterwards (1 species):
    Pacific white-sided dolphin (Lagenorhynchus obliquidens)​
    5. Sea Otter Pool a tall pool with viewing from two levels near both the stairs back up and
    another set of stairs to lower level 2 (1 species):
    Sea otter (Enhydra lutris)​
    Lower level 2:

6. Sea Star Touch Pool next to the underwater viewing for the sea otter: Unsigned sea stars
    7. Pacific white-sided dolphin underwater viewing: Very nice underwater viewing of the same
    tanks for the dolphins​
    8. Polar Play Zone above and underwater viewing for penguins, an average looking exhibit with
    standard rockwork and a good amount of space (2 species):
    Magellanic penguin (Spheniscus magellanicus), Southern rockhopper penguin (Eudyptes chrysocome)​
    9. Beluga underwater viewing: Nice underwater viewing of the same tanks for the beluga
    whales​
    Series of 5 small circular tanks
    10. Moon Jellies (1 species): Moon jelly (Aurelia aurita)
    11. Red Octopus despite the tank just consisting of a small mound of shells and rock, the
    octopus was nowhere to be seen and I suspect rarely is (2 species): Red octopus (Octopus rubescens), Vermillion star (Mediaster aequalis)​
    12. Sea star tank (3 species): Rainbow star (Orthasterias koehleri), Bat sea star (Patiria
    miniata), Giant pink star (Pisaster brevispinus)​
    13. Anemone tank (3 species): Giant green anemone (Anthopleura xanthogrammica),
    Crimson anemone (Cribrinopsis fernaldi), Painted anemone (Urticina crassicornis)​
    14. Cleaner shrimp tank (2 species): Catalina cleaner shrimp (lysmata californica), Red
    abalone (Haliotis rufescens)
    A well renowned complex with some interesting species, including 4 mammal (The only ones on display at Shedd), 2 bird, 2 cephalopod, and 10 other invertebrate species, with a total of 18 species (none of which are fish!), which is low for Shedd but includes impressive displays and species. The atmosphere of lower level 1 (The pacific coast area) is very nice and the cetaceans in front of the large lakefront view is quite impressive.

9. birdsandbats

That cuttlefish tank used to have several species of fish, including Red Irish Lord and CO-Sole. Those small circular tanks near the Polar Play Zone include (among others) Shiner Surfperch and Orange Sea Pen.

CMP likes this.
  10. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Yep, all gone, no fish to be seen. The small tanks still have a nice collection of marine inverts though, and most of the fish like the CO-sole are now in a tank in Oceans. Which is the list I'll post next... :)

birdsandbats likes this.
  11. birdsandbats

The loss of the sea pens is unfortunate, what a unique species.

12. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

We now start the 4 historic galleries, which are my favorite exhibits at Shedd, the first of which is Oceans. As Shedd quotes: "Prepare to meet some of the least-observed creatures at Shedd: dwellers of temperate and cold marine ecosystems. Some have hardly changed over hundreds of millions of years. Others, like the big-brained, eight-armed octopus and the brainless, five-sided sea stars—look like they could have come from outer space. But they’re all products of our Earth’s global ocean."

There is a high species diversity in this exhibit, but it is easy to see most of the species as each tank holds a manageable amount in contrast to Amazon Rising and Wild Reef. There are some very nice and rarely held species here as well, as temperate and cold saltwater tanks are much rarer than the tropical reefs as aquaria.

I have also included the Seahorses and Pipefish mini-gallery that is on the side in between Oceans and At Home on the Great Lakes.

*Note, the names I give each enclosure are not the official names but rather names I made based on the signage to better convey the themes of each tank

Oceans

1. Baja California rocky tank with kelp (11 species): Monkeyface prickleback (Cebidichthys
    violaceus), Senorita wrasse (Oxyjulis californica), Yellowtail rockfish (Sebastes flavidus), Onespot fringehead (Neoclinus uninotatus), Mexican hogfish (Bodianus diplotaenia), Rosy rockfish (Sebastes rosaceus), Threeband butterflyfish (Chaetodon humeralis), Vermilion rockfish (Sebastes miniatus), Clarion angelfish (Holacanthus clarionensis), Wavy turban snail (Megastraea undosa), Giant green anemone (Anthopleura xanthogrammica)
    2. Tasman Sea well-lit rocky tank with kelp, very nice experience the leatherjacket came up to
    me and followed my camera around as I was trying to take pictures of the lobster (6 species): Horse-shoe leatherjacket (Meuschenia hippocrepis), Moonlighter (Tilodon sexfaciatum), Silver sweep (Scorpis lineolata), Oldwife (Enoplosus armatus), Magpie morwong (Cheilodactylus nigripes), Australian southern rock lobster (Jasus edwardsii)
    3. West Coast a large tank comprised of two canyons with a large rock structure down the
    middle (13 Species): C-O sole (Pleuronichthys coenosus), Butter sole (Isopsetta isolepis), Pacific sanddab (Citharichthys sordidus), Blue rockfish (Sebastes mystinus), Copper rockfish (Sebastes caurinus), Quillback rockfish (Sebastes maliger), Black and yellow rockfish (Sebastes chrysomelas), Vermilion rockfish (Sebastes miniatus), California salema (Haemulon californiensis), Kelp bass (Paralabrax clathratus), Rock wrasse (Halichoeres semicinctus), Bat sea star (Patitia miniata), Strawberry anemone (Cribrinopsis albopunctata)
    4. Californian Tidepool a tank with much rockwork blocking some views behind, didn’t see
    anything in it except the morays (5 Species): California moray (Gymnotharax mordax), Horn shark (Heterodontus francisci), Giant pink star (Pisaster brevispinus), Giant green anemone (Anthopleura xanthogrammica), Strawberry anemone (Cribrinopsis albopunctata)
    5. American Lobster a canyon-like tank for lobster (3 Species): American lobster; red morph
    (Homarus americanus), Plumose anemone (Metridium senile), unsigned likely longspine snipefish
    6. Japanese Coasts a tank with much rockwork, anemones, and plants (5 Species): Japanese
    boarfish (Pentaceros japonicus), Golden grubby (Parapercis multifasciata), Redfish (Helicolenus hilgendorfii), Cherry anthias (Sacura margaritacea), Plumose anemone (Metridium senile)
    7. Kelp Forest a large, impressive, long tank at the end of the hallway full with kelp and many
    species (19 Species): Horn shark, Leopard shark, Swell shark, Starry flounder, Lingcod, Cabezon, Blue rockfish, Copper rockfish, Black-and-yellow rockfish, Kelp bass, Garibaldi, Rainbow surfperch, Striped surfperch, Black surfperch, Blue jack mackerel, Senorita wrasse, Ocean whitefish, Pacific halfmoon, Painted anemone
    8. Pacific Coasts sloped tank with rockwork (6 Species): Tube-snout (Aulorhynchus flavidus),
    Catalina goby (Lythrypnus dalli), Red sea urchin (Mesocentrotus franciscanus), Vermilion star (Mediaster aequalis), Bat sea star (Patiria miniata), Jeweled anemone (Corynactis californica)
    9. European Shores tank with seagrass and rockwork (2 Species): Boarfish (Capros aper),
    Cardinalfish (Apogon imberbis)
    10. Californian Coasts tank with much rockwork and shells (11 Species): Monkeyface
    prickleback (Cebidichthys violaceus), California scorpionfish (Scorpaena guttata), Red rock crab (Cancer productus), (Coon stripe shrimp (Pandalus gurneyi), Red sea urchin (Mesocentrotus franciscanus), Purple sea urchin (Strongylocentrotus purpuratus), Giant pink star (Pisaster brevispinus), Rainbow star (Orthasterias koehleri), Giant green anemone (Anthopleura xanthogrammica), Tube anemone (Pachycerianthus fimbriatus), Jeweled anemone (Corynactis californica)
    11. Wolf Eel Tank another large tank comprised of two canyons with a large rock structure down
    the middle with much rockwork and shells (8 Species): Wolf eel (Anarrhichthys ocellatus), Lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus), Striped surfperch (Embiotoca lateralis), Whitespotted greenling (Hexagrammos stelleri), Copper rockfish (Sebastes caurinus), Leather sea star (Dermasterias imbricata), Giant pink star (Pisaster brevispinus), Fish eating anemone (Urticina piscivora)
    12. Pacific Kelp rocky tank with kelp (6 species): Greenspotted rockfish (Sebastes chlorostictus),
    Blue rockfish (Sebastes mystinus), Gopher rockfish (Sebastes carnatus), Pile surfperch (Rhacochilus vacca), Ocean whitefish (Caulolatilus princeps), Fish eating anemone (Urticina piscivora)
    13. Giant Pacific Octopus rocky tank for octopus (8 species): Giant pacific octopus
    (Enteroctopus dofleini), Purple sea urchin (Strongylocentrotus purpuratus), Ochre sea star (Pisaster ochraceus), Tube anemone (Pachycerianthus fimbriatus), Strawberry anemone (Cribrinopsis albopunctata), Fish eating anemone (Urticina piscivora), Painted anemone (Urticina crassicornis), Gumboot chiton (Cryptochiton stelleri)
    14. King Crab rocky tank with two canyons (1 species): Tasmanian king crab (Pseudocarcinus
    gigas)
    15. Pacific Deep Sea dark tank with substrate for deep-sea creatures (5 species): Spotted ratfish
    (Hydrolagus colliei), Japanese deep-water carrier crab (Paromola japonica), Giant deep sea isopod (Bathynomus giganteus), Giant plumose anemone (Metridium farcimen), Japanese deep-sea anemone (Actinostola carlgreni)
    16. Bering Sea rocky tank with many caves and canyons (5 species): Bering wolffish (Anarhichas
    orientalis), Red hake (Urophycis chuss), Lumpfish (Cyclopterus lumpus), Northern sea star (Asterias rubens), Northern red anemone (Urticina felina)​

This exceptional exhibit houses around 114 species, including repeats, between 16 tanks, and showcases a stunning variety of the often overlooked temperate marine ecosystems, although a focus on the North American West Coast is apparent. Flatfish, sharks, ratfish, crabs, and lobsters are all interesting species present. 11 species of rockfish, and Japanese deep-water carrier crab (Paromola japonica) rather than the nearly ubiquitous Japanese spider crab are much appreciated and impressive. It may surprise some that this is currently my favorite exhibit at Shedd.

Seahorses and Pipefish
    1. Kelp cylinder 1 tall cylinder with seaweed (3 Species): Longsnout seahorse, Green chromis, Copperband butterflyfish

2. Pineapplefish tank small tank with rockwork (3 Species): Pineapplefish (Cleidopus gloriamaris), French hogfish (Bodians frenchii), Red seaperch, Alligator pipefish (Syngathoides biaculeatus)

3. Cowfish tank small tank with rockwork and seaweed (5 Species): Potbelly seahorse (Hippocampus abdominalis), Shaw’s cowfish (Aracana aurita), Red boxfish (Anoplocapros lenticularis), Southern blue devil (Paraplesiops meleagris), Bat sea star (Patiria miniata)

4. Pacific reef tank small tank with many colorful corals (12 Species): Oceanic seahorse (Hippocampus kuda), Dragonface pipefish (Corythoichthys intestinalis), Banded pipefish (Dunckerocampus dactyliophorus), Picturesque dragonet (Synchiropus picturatus), Golden goby (Gobiodon okinawae), Citron goby (Gobiodon citrinus), Ocellaris clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris), Green chromis (Chromis viridis), Copperband butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus), Blue-legged hermit crab (Clibanarius tricolor), Humpback cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis), Hammer coral (Euphyllia paraancora), Soft finger coral (Sinularia sp.), Cabbage coral (Lobophytum sp.), Green star polyp (Briareum sp.), Starburst coral (Galaxea sp.)

5. Atlantic reef tank small tank with many colorful corals (9 Species): Longsnout seahorse (Hippocampus reidi), Lined seahorse (Hippocampus erectus), Masked goby (Coryphopterus personatus), Cherubfish (Centropyge argi), Longsnout butterflyfish (Prognathodes aculeatus), Purple sea plume (Muriceopsis flavida), Encrusting gorgonian (Erythopodium caribaeorum), Massive starlet coral (Siderastrea siderea), Boulder star coral (Orbicella faveolata), Knobby sea rod (Eunicea sp.)

6. Kelp cylinder 2 tall cylinder with seaweed (1 Species): Shrimpfish (Aeoliscus strigatus)
    Seahorses and Pipefish is a fun series of tanks displaying very interesting fish species and is a highlight of a Shedd visit with cowfish, boxfish, shrimpfish, and pineapplefish. At about 33 species signed, including 4 seahorses and 3 pipefish, it is a very species diverse representation of smaller marine fish.

13. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Next up is this exceptional exhibit showcasing the immense diversity of native wildlife, matched only perhaps by the Tennessee aquarium for local aquatic life. It is quite the surprising and educating gallery!

At Home on the Great Lakes
    1. Native fish tank tank with logs, branches, and lakeweed (8 Species): Black crappie, Yellow
    perch, Largemouth bass, Bigmouth buffalofish, Walleye, Rock bass, Smallmouth bass, Pumpkinseed sunfish
    2. Big mixed species tank AND Vertical tank topped off with logs, tank with logs, branches,
    and lakeweed (34 Species): Orangethroat darter, Spotfisn shiner, Northern hogsucker, Sand shiner, Striped shiner, Blacknose dace, Bluegill, Longnose dace, Bluntnose minnow, Common shiner, Orangespotted sunfish, Spottail shiner, Fathead minnow, Mosquitofish, Southern redbelly dace, Minnow (Sp.), Central mudminnow, Rosyface shiner, Pumpkinseed sunfish, Green sunfish, Emerald shiner, Hornyhead chub, Blacktripe topminnow, White sucker, Central stoneroller, Blackside darter, Golden shiner, Johnny darter, Pirate perch, Black crappie, Rainbow darter, Slenderhead darter, Banded darter, Logperch
    3. Vertical tank topped off with logs and lakeweed: Sunfish and others signed with the tank
    above
    4. Pebble tank pebble substrate (1 species): Unsigned White Bass (Morone chrysops)

5. Schooling tank tank with dark substrate (4 species): Common carp, Alewife, American
    gizzard shad, Lake whitefish
    6. Rocky shore tank sand substrate along with bricks, glass bottles, and a vent in the
    background (5 species): Mottled sculpin, Round goby, Common carp, Bluntnose minnow, Sand shiner
    7. Grayling tank tank with submerged branches and logs coated in algae (2 species): Arctic
    grayling, Central stoneroller
    8. Planted tank small tank with submerged branches and many aquatic plants (6 species):
    Lake chubsucker, Spotfin shiner, Central stoneroller, Creek chubsucker, Spotfin shiner, Pumpkinseed sunfish
    9. Lamprey tank netted tank with one lamprey sucking the glass as usual, giving a good
    view of the ‘vampire’ fangs (1 species): Sea lamprey
    10. Gar tank large tank at the end of the hallway with pebble substrate and a massive
    submerged tree trunk (6 species): Red-eared slider, Channel catfish, Largemouth bass, Longnose gar, Shortnose gar, Smallmouth bass
    11. Sturgeon tank large tank at the end of the hallway with sandy substrate and a standing
    submerged tree trunk (8 species): Pallid sturgeon, Grass carp, Bighead carp, Smallmouth buffalo, River carpsucker, Black buffalo, Silver carp, Bigmouth buffalofish
    12. Creek pool tank small tank with submerged branches in a canyon (5 species): Warmouth,
    Shorthead redhorse sucker, Black crappie, Smallmouth buffalo, Golden redhorse sucker
    13. Wood duck pool large, wide, shallow pool with space above for the ducks (9 species):
    Wood duck, American bullfrog, Yellow bullhead catfish, Hornyhead chub, Stonecat, White sucker, Creek chub, Central stoneroller, Bluegill
    14. Grassy pickerel tank smaller tank with pebble substrate and many grassy aquatic plants
    (6 species): Grass pickerel, Yellow bullhead catfish, Yellow bass, Striped shiner, Largemouth bass, Longeared sunfish​

15. Trout tank tank with many schooling trout, sand substrate, and algae covered rocks (1
    species): Brook trout​

16. Whitefish tank tank with many schooling fish, sand substrate, and algae covered rocks
    (2 species): Lake whitefish, Cisco​

17. Alligator Snapping Turtle tank tank with a large ramp and cypress knees (4 species):
    Alligator snapping turtle, Dollar sunfish, Lake whitefish, Northern crayfish​

18. Sturgeon Touch large rocky touch tank pool in the middle of the hall (1 species): Lake
    sturgeon​

19. Amphibian terrarium 1 small terrarium in the middle of the hall (3 species): Pirate perch
    (Aphredoderus sayanus), Central newt (Notophthalmus viridescens), Southern leopard frog (Lithobates sphenocephalus)​

20. Amphibian terrarium 2 small terrarium in the middle of the hall (6 species): Spotted
    salamander (Ambystoma maculatum), Marbled salamander (Ambystoma opacum), Grey tree frog (Dryophytes versicolor), Fowler’s toad (Anaxyrus fowleri), Wood frog (Lithobates sylvaticus), American toad (Anaxyrus americanus)​

With 1 bird, 2 reptile, 9 amphibian, about 100 fish species, and a total of 112 species (Including repeats), At Home on the Great Lakes showcases the stunning diversity of our local Illinois wildlife in a spectacular way, and actually inspired me to go out to nearby waterways and find some of the amazing local fish. With 2 sturgeon species, Arctic graylings, Salmon, Lampreys, and much more, I would rank this as my second favorite exhibit at Shedd and my favorite exhibit I've seen for local wildlife.

14. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to @geomorph and Wikipedia, the duck habitat was once home to a NARO named Rio! It's amazing what animals Shedd used to have.

CMP likes this.
  15. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Next up are Islands and Lakes, and Reptiles. "While islands and lakes might seem like opposites—land surrounded by water vs. water surrounded by land—they are both semi-isolated environments that can give rise to unique species as well as offer refuge to more wide-ranging ones. Whether you're swinging by Islands and Lakes to take a close look at American alligators or to soak in the dazzling colors of dozens of kinds of African cichlids, there's a little bit of everything in these diverse environments!"- Shedd

Islands and Lakes

1. Long exhibit closed for renovation

2. Pond Turtle long tank with logs, foliage, and above water viewing for the turtles (1 species):
    Western pond turtle (Actinemys marmorata)
    3. Central America Tank tank with rock pile and submerged branch (4 species): Flier cichlid
    (Archocentrus centrarchus), Midas cichlid (Amphilophus citrinellus), Blackbelt cichlid (Vieja maculicauda), Twospot astyanax (Astyanax bimaculatus)
    4. Lily pad tank small tank with rocks, plants, and covered by lily pads above (8 species):
    Threestriped gourami (Trichopsis schalleri), Threadfin goby (Sicyopterus longifilis), Nagy’s licorice gourami (Parosphromenus nagyi), Vaillant’s chocolate gourami (Sphaerichthys vaillanti), Moonlight gourami (Trichopodus microlepis), Checkered barb (Oliotius oligolepis), Blackline rasbora (Rasbora borapetensis), Siamese flying fox (Crossocheilus oblongus)
    5. Asian Forest tall tank with logs, foliage, and trees above water for the climbing toad, which
    would be hard to find and I didnt see (8 species): Asian yellow-spotted climbing toad (Rentapia hosii), Pearl gourami (Trichopodus leerii), Chocolate gourami (Sphaerichthys osphromenoides), Sawbwa barb (Sawbwa resplendens), Galaxy rasbora (Danio margaritatus), Lambchop rasbora (Trigonostigma espei), Glowlight rasbora (Trigonostigma hengeli), Siamese flying fox (Crossocheilus oblongus)
    6. Alligator tank tank at the end of the hallway with pebble substrate and a massive submerged
    tree trunk (4 species): Red-eared slider, American alligator, Midas cichlid, Golden shiner
    7. Large cichlid tank tank at the end of the hallway with pebble substrate lots of rockwork (7
    species): Purple head cichlid, Victoria thick-lipped mouthbrooder cichlid, Chromo victorian cichlid, Zebra obliquidens cichlid, Hippo point salmon cichlid, Crimson tide flameback cichlid, Rock kribensis cichlid
    8. Lake Tanganyika shallows tank with submerged logs, aquatic plants, and shells (4 species):
    Leleupi cichlid, Banded dwarf cichlid, Fluorescent cichlid, Duboisi cichlid​

9. Lake Tanganyika tank tank with submerged logs, rockwork, and gravel bottom (7 species):
    Pygmy leopard catfish (Synodontis petricola), Duboisi cichlid, Humphead cichlid, Marlier dwarf cichlid, Gold nasuta, Compressed cichlid (Altolamprologus compressiceps), African dwarf cichlid​

10. African Tigerfish tank with rockwork and gravel substrate (3 species): African tigerfish,
    Lyretail cichlid, Red moorii cichlid +many other unsigned cichlids and a catfish​

11. Lake Malawi tank with rocks and sandy substrate (6 species): Kenyi cichlid, Dolphin cichlid,
    Spindle hap cichlid, Malawi christyi cichlid, Star sapphire cichlid, Malawi eye-biter cichlid​

12. Lake Malawi rock pile tank with a rock pile and sandy substrate (7 species): Zimbabwe rock
    cichlid, Yellow cichlid, Blue and blue cichlid, Taiwan reef cichlid, Zebra cichlid, Electric blue cichlid, Durante cichlid​

13. Madagascar tank with submerged logs, aquatic plants, and pebble substrate (3 species):
    Red-tailed silverside (Bedotia geayi), Madagascar killifish (Pachypanchaz sakaramyi), Siamese flying fox (Crossocheilus oblongus)​

14. South Sulawesi tank with submerged logs, aquatic plants, and rock background (4 species):
    Blue ricefish (Oryzias woworae), Celebes rainbowfish (Marosatherina ladigesi), Pacific blue eye (Pseudomugil signifer), Siamese flying fox (Crossocheilus oblongus)​

15. North Tanganyika tank small tank lush with aquatic plants and submerged logs (3 species):
    Cichlid (Cyprichromis microlepidotus), Cichlid (Xenotilapia melanogenys), Siamese flying fox (Crossocheilus oblongus)​

16. Cavefish dark tank with rockwork (1 species): Mexican blind cavefish (Astyanax jordani)
    This gallery contains 3 reptile, 1 amphibian, about 66 fish, and around 70 total species (Including repeats). It is a very enjoyable gallery with many interesting freshwater species such as the Tigerfish, Gouramis, and vast collection of cichlids (Around 37 species!). I do miss the Chameleon exhibit that used to be here, and I hope they will be back in the enclosure that is being renovated. However, with some issues of the signage not being too great or not quite updated, the theme of the exhibit was also not too apparent, so I prefer some of the other galleries to this one, but it is still very excellent.

Reptiles

1. Chinese Crocodile Lizard lightly planted forest floor terrarium with logs and a small pool with
    underwater viewing from the glass (1 species): Chinese crocodile lizard (Shinisaurus crocodilurus)
    2. Horned Lizard lightly planted forest floor terrarium with a tree stump (1 species): Mountain
    horned lizard (Acanthosaura capra)
    3. Tree Lizard lushly planted forest terrarium with tree stumps and branches (1 species): Spiny-
    headed tree lizard (Plica plica) Note: these are the same species of lizard as the ones in amazon rising, it was hard enough to spot one in this single-species enclosure made for it, I doubt you would be able to find them over there
    4. Tentacle snake planted tank with unsigned small fish and large tree stumps (1 species):
    Tentacle snake (Erpeton tentaculatum)
    Reptiles is the second Mini-gallery, and like Sea Horses and Pipefish, it is in between the halls for two of the historic galleries, this time between Islands and Lakes and Rivers, which I will cover next! With 4 species of reptiles, the exhibit is good, and features some interesting species, and good signage, but there just isn't as much to these 4 terrariums as other areas of Shedd.

16. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Species seem to rotate in exhibits a lot at Shedd. The collection also seems to greatly vary, as I suspect they rotate their extensive collection on and off exhibit.

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

And on to the final Historic gallery, and quite the enjoyable and interesting one at that.

Rivers

1. Archerfish Tank small shallow tank with mangrove plant (1 Species): Clouded archerfish
    (Toxotes blythii)​

2. Pipefish Tank small tank with submerged logs and aquatic plants (4 Species): Freshwater
    pipefish (Doryichthys heterosoma), Scarlet badis (Dario dario), Harlequin rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha), Rasbora (Boraras brigittae)​

3. Spiny Eel Tank small tank with submerged logs, aquatic plants, and rockwork (4 Species): Zig-
    zag eel (Mastacembelus armatus), Blind spiny eel (Mastacembelus brichardi), Longtail spiny eel (Mastacembelus frenatus) Giant kuhli loach (Pangio myersi), Pearl danio (Danio albolineatus), Badis (Badis badis), Rosy bitterling (Rhodeus ocellatus), Siamese flying fox (Crossocheilus oblongus)​

4. Glass Catfish Tank small tank with a rockwork canyon and aquatic plants (6 Species): Glass
    catfish (Kryptopterus (bicirrhis?)), Angelicus loach (Botia kubotai), Clown loach (Chromobotia macracanthus), Rosy loach (Yunnanilus sp.), Highfin glassy perchlet (Parambassis lala), White cloud mountain minnow (Tanichthys albonubes)​

5. Sri Lanka Tank small tank covered by lily pads, emerging from a shelf halfway up the tank (5
    Species): Blackfinned Sri Lankan halfbeak (Nomorhamphus liemi), Humphead glass perchlet (Parambassis pulcinella), Dwarf botia (Ambastaia sidthimunki), Cherry barb (Puntius titteya), Siamese flying fox (Crossocheilus oblongus)​

6. South Asia Tank tank with a submerged branch, and rockwork (4 Species): Pearlspot
    (Etroplus suratensis), Arulius barb (Dawkinsia arulius), Denison barb (Sahyadria denisonii), Catfish (Mystus leucophasis)​

7. African Lungfish Tank tank with aquatic plants, and a rockwork hollow next to the glass for
    easy and good viewing of the lungfish. Take note, Amazon Rising’s Floating Meadow! (2 Species): Scatty (Scatophagus tetracanthus), West African lungfish (Protopterus annectens)​

8. Congo River Tank well planted tank with submerged tree roots (5 Species): African moony
    (Monodactylus sebae), Sixbar distichodus (Distichodus sexfasciatus), Spotted ctenopoma (Ctenopoma acutirostre), Congo tetra (Phenacogrammus interruptus), Yellowtail tetra (Alestopetersius caudalis)​

9. West Africa Tank large tank with sandy substrate, large submerged branches, logs, and
    rockwork (7 Species): Cross river puffer (Tetraodon pustulatus), Shortfin bichir (Polypterus palmas), Saddled bichir (Polypterus endlicherii), Distichodus (Distichodus teugelsi), African glass catfish (Pareutropius debauwi), Bloodthroat cichlid (Thoracochromis brauschi), African moon tetra (Bathyaethiops caudomaculatus)​

10. African Knifefish Tank tank with submerged branch, rockwork, and many aquatic plants and
    algae (4 Species): African knifefish (Xenomystus nigri), African smoky catfish (Schilbe mystus), Norman’s lampeye (Poropanchax normani), +Unsigned red cichlid​

11. Mississippi River large tank at the end of the hallway with a submerged log and rockwork (4
    Species): Paddlefish (Polyodon spathula), Smallmouth buffalo, Redear sunfish (Lepomis microlophus), Golden shiner (Notemigonus crysoleucas), +unsigned shrimp​

12. Australian Lungfish Tank large tank at the end of the hallway simulating a river bank, with
    submerged logs and rockwork hollows along with a pebble substrate and branches and climbing areas above for the lizard (7 Species): Sailfin lizard (Hydrosaurus amboinensis), Red-bellied short-necked turtle (Emydura subglobosa), Boesman’s rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani), Murray river rainbowfish (Melanotaenia fluviatilis), Banded rainbowfish (Melanotaenia trifasciata), Celebes rainbowfish (Marosatherina ladigesi) , Australian lungfish (Neoceratodus forsteri)​

13. Australia and New Guinea Tank tank with aquatic grass, pebble substrate, rocks, and algae
    (8 Species): Boesman’s rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani), Red rainbowfish (Glossolepis incisus), Parkinson’s rainbowfish (Melanotaenia parkinsoni), Lake kutubu rainbowfish (Melanotaenia lacustris), Sungai sembra (Melanotaenia sp.), Paska’s blue-eye (Pseudomugil paskai), Peacock gudgeon (Tateurndina ocellicauda), Empire gudgeon (Hypseleotris compressa)​

14. Fly River Tank tank with submerged rockwork, branches, and pebble substrate (3 Species):
    Fly river turtle (Carettochelys insculpta), Macculloch’s rainbowfish (Melanotaenia maccullochi), Dwarf rainbowfish (Melanotaenia praecox)​

15. Mexico tank tank with rockwork, algae, and sandy substrate (3 Species): Tailbar cichlid (Vieja
    hartwegi), Blackstripe cichlid (Vieja fenestratus), Green swordtail (Xiphophorus hellerii)​

16. Piranha Tank tank with many submerged logs, rocks, aquatic plants, and sandy substrate (2
    Species): Geryi’s violet line piranha (Serrasalmus geryi), Minnow (Brachyrhaphis holdridgei)​

17. Central American Palm Tank tank with submerged palm leaves, a small tree stump, large
    logs, rocks, aquatic plants, and sandy substrate (8 Species): Rainbow cichlid (Archocentrus multispinosa), Firemouth cichlid (Thorichthys meeki), T-bar cichlid (Amatitlania sajica), Cutter’s cichlid (Amatitlania septemfasciata), Moga (Hypsophrys nicaraguensis), Banded tetra (Astyanax aeneus), Bucktooth tetra (Exodon paradoxus), Minnow (Brachyrhaphis holdridgei)​

18. Southeast Asian Giants large tank that extends far back with submerged roots and trees
    extending above water (9 Species): Clown featherback Knifefish (Chitala ornata), Siamese tiger perch (Datnoides pulcher), Tiger perch (Datnoides campbelli), Asian bonytongue (Scleropages formosus), Giant gourami (Osphronemus goramy), Tinfoil barb (Barbonymus schwanenfeldii), Clown loach (Chromobotia macracanthus), Three-lined rasbora (Rasbora trilineata), Blackline rasbora (Rasbora borapetensis)​

19. Southeast Asia Corner Tank large shallow tank that extends far back with roots and trees
    extending above water, on the corner leading into the hall (8 Species): Giant gourami (Osphronemus goramy), Redtail botia (Yasuhikotakia modesta), Redtail sharkminnow (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor), Tricolor sharkminnow (Balantiocheilos melanopterus), Skunk botia (Yasuhikotakia morleti), Spanner barb (Barbodes lateristriga), Hampala barb (Hampala macrolepidota), Bronze puffer (Chonerhinos naritus), +unsigned shrimp​
    Rivers contains 3 reptiles, 2 lobe finned-fish, 89 ray-finned fish, and 94 total species. With Cross river puffer, bichirs, lungfish, turtles, paddlefish, loaches, cichlids, tetras, gouramis, knifefish, and much more, Rivers is full of the most interesting freshwater fishes. Most exhibits look spectacular and it usual isn't too hard finding most inhabitants, although I didn't see any pipefish or freshwater 'eels'. Another spectacular exhibit, and the penultimate one before the two exhibits before Caribbean Reef, which is next.

18. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

What a great collection! Shedd sounds fantastic!

CMP and birdsandbats like this.
  19. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Great thread and takes me back to my visit three or four years ago. However in your summary here and previously you don't mention the exhibits containing mammals, IE the flying foxes. Or am I missing something?

CMP likes this.
  20. Strix

Strix Well-Known Member

“Siamese flying fox” is used here for Crossocheilus oblongus, a species of fish more often known as siamese algae-eater.

Grant, CMP and MRJ like this.