Join our zoo community

Shedd Aquarium Shedd Aquarium

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 8 May 2008.

1. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, hopefully they'll be in a good breeding program. While the optimal situation would have been no smuggling at all, I wish the the animals that were smuggled would have been Mekong giant catfish. I don't believe there are any in the US- I've seen giant Thai catfish a few times, including a magnificently sized specimen at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Has the giant Thai catfish been bred successfully in captivity?

2. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

@jayjds2 : I do not know. My understanding is that they are bred in sustainable fisheries in Thailand, but I can't verify if it has ever happened in a public aquarium. That being said, the fish is not super common in zoos and aquariums to begin with, so it's equally likely that it hasn't really been attempted before.

jayjds2 likes this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Quoted from IUCN Red List:
    Captive-breeding
    "No captive breeding known, therefore 100% wild harvest assumed."

Threats:
    "Overfishing for food and to a lesser extent the aquarium trade, has depleted the natural population of P. sanitwongsei (Wang 1998).

This species is likely to have been affected by the destruction of rapids and reefs as part of the Upper Mekong Navigation Improvement Project, and by the construction of dams. Projects such as these affect the natural flood/drought cycles throughout the river, and therefore the migratory behaviour of fish such as P. sanitwongsei."

I am afraid the aquarium trade as much as overfishing has been to blame for its current status in the wild.

On aquaculture:
    An UK site - WWW.fishtanksandponds.co.uk - claims that under the caption QOUTE: "
    BREEDING
    P. sanitwongsei is being bred commercially as a food fish. The fish which find their way in to our shops are thought to come from such captive breeding.

Unsurprisingly this species has not been bred in the home aquaria." UNQOUTE

I wonder though how these claims may be substantiated?!!

4. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't believe this has been reported on previously, so I apologize if it has, but apparently the aquarium has been caring for dozens of young arapaima after being confiscated from the O'Hara Airport in 2015.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  5. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The loss of perhaps Shedd's most famous resident... my heart goes out to fans and to the Shedd employees. I think it's also good to commend the aquarium on the fantastic care they provided for Granddad that allowed him to reach such an advanced age.

7. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Rest in peace Granddad.

8. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cookie and Granddad are having some kind of party, I'm fairly certain, celebrating so many decades of meeting and entertaining millions of zoo guests, including Chicagoans, and seeing some incredible transformations in zoology and animal care in their lifetimes.

How a fish and a bird have a party, I haven't a clue.

9. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What a sad day for Shedd.

11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. birdsandbats

13. birdsandbats

According to Facebook, there is going to be new exhibit called Underwater Beauty. Does anyone know where it will be, and when it will open?

14. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is considered a "Special Exhibit", so any time you hear that they will almost always be located right across from the Oceanarium. Judging from a photo on their website, that is the case and it will be replacing the Amphibians display. It will open on May 25.

birdsandbats likes this.
  15. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Doesn't sound like there'll be anything with a lot of mainstream appeal here. Kind of just a miscellaneous collection of species.

16. birdsandbats

Wood Duck chicks have recently hatched.

17. Zoological Point

Zoological Point Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The first Magellanic Penguin chick of the season has hatched behind the scenes.
    We did a live stream on Facebook last week and the following species were confirmed for Under Water Beauty: Peacock Mantis Shrimp, Flamboyant Cuttlefish, Cherry Barb, Giant Clam, Yellow Tang, Ribbon Eel, Sexy Shrimp, Moorish Idol, Pyramid Butterflyfish, Purple Anthias, Harlequin Tuskfish. The rest of the species will be revealed upon opening on May 25th.

birdsandbats and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  18. Zoological Point

Another stream occurred revealing the following species: Allen Damselfish, Common Molly, non-mentioned cichlid (most likely a Ram Cichlid), non-mentioned filefish species (95% sure Orange-Spotted Filefish), trunkfish (Smooth is most likely), Orange-Spotted Rabbitfish (not mentioned by name), Regal Blue Tang (once again not mentioned by name)
    New information learned, the color wall has the following species: Red: Cherry Barb, Orange: Anthias species (that I was unable to id from the video, possibly Orange), Yellow: Yellow Tang, Green: (surprisingly) Aquatic Plants as well as an unnamed shrimp species, Blue: Allen Damselfish, Purple: Purple Sea Urchin and a species of purple sea star (that I was unable to id from the video) as well as a display demonstrating the biofluorescence of corals by using a tinted panel to change color.

19. Zoological Point

Under Water Beauty is officially open to the public.

birdsandbats likes this.
  20. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Has anybody undertaken the 'behind the scenes' tour at the Shedd, and, if so, what is it like? It is fairly inexpensive - only another $15 or so on top of entry - and is listed as lasting for an hour or so. If it is a genuine opportunity to see the place form another perspective, it cold eb very interesting; if it is being part of a big group being given a platitudinous talk about something or other, I think I'll pass. Any thoughts gratefully received!

StoppableSan likes this.