Join our zoo community

Shelley's Eagle Owl Photographed First Time in the Wild

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Smaggledagle, 26 Oct 2021.

1. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

A giant owl that has gone almost unseen in African rainforests for 150 years has been photographed in the wild for the first time by British scientists working in Ghana.

Shelley’s Eagle Owl was spotted on 16 October in what has been hailed as a “sensational discovery” by ecologists.

With only a few thousand thought to be in existence, the species is officially classified as being at risk of extinction.

A picture of the bird was taken by Dr. Joseph Tobias, of the Department of Life Sciences at Imperial College London, and Dr. Robert Williams, an ecologist from Somerset.

The pair discovered the owl, of which there have been no confirmed sightings since the 1870s, during its daytime roost earlier this month.

Giant owl not seen for 150 years pictured in wild for first time

Spectacular and elusive Shelley’s eagle-owl rediscovered in Atewa Forest - MyJoyOnline.com

WalkingAgnatha and birdsandbats like this.
  2. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

I went back and tried to see if this owl was mentioned on here and it looks like someone reuploaded one of the Antwerp Zoo photos, I'm glad we now have a more quality version of the bird.

127-Bubo-shelleyi01 - ZooChat

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'd argue that the Antwerp photo in the gallery, and the one uploaded to Zootierliste showing the same bird, are both of better quality than this latest image in terms of showing the key identifying features, actually!

It's worth noting that the video in the Independent article is actually stock footage of the closely-related Milky Eagle Owl, too.