Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo Shock over bashing of rarest flamingo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Simon Hampel, 29 Oct 2008.

1. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There was definitely more than two past 1941, as I have a photo of my first visit in 1979 of at least three individuals. Cannot quite tell which species however.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2008
  2. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

In 1979 there would have been two Greater and two Chileans, four flamingos in all.
    There are now two.(One Greater and one Chilean.)

From what I can determine, flamingos have never been successfully bred in Australia.

3. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Awhile back Sydney zoo introduced alot of mirrors into the flamingo enclosure. It was a very unusual sight. It was aparentley to make the birds think there were allot more of them and stimulate breeding. Without success.

Butt a great effort

4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Maybe a case of to little to late

5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

That was back in the 80's. If I remember rightly, after the introdction of the mirrors ther was some nest building activity and I think one egg, which wasn't fertile. (I know there was nesting activity, but don't quote me on the egg).

:)

Hix

6. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

An old thread, i know.........

but I haven't been to Adelaide for several years. Does anyone know if the flamingoes are still alive?

7. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Going by the website both are still alive. I think they also recently posted a photo on Facebook of the greater flamingo.

8. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is there any interest to try the import of new flamingos by any australian zoo? I understand that would not be easy because of the import regulations. But an import of eggs from Europe/N.America and rearing them in a carantene seems like a doable way.

9. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I dont think thats possible anymore. There is a possible route through New Zealand if Aucklands flock bred but I remember reading somewhere that the zoo has no intentions of breeding their birds.

10. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Auckland is trying to breed their flamingoes, and although the birds have shown nesting behaviour, there have been no eggs yet.

11. Jabiru96

Could this be due to them being hand-reared? Although wasn't it a condition to be imported that they had to be hand-reared by Auckland keepers?

12. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Fortunatelly, hand-reared flamingos have no problem to form pairs and breed with other flamingos. The problem seems rather the size of the flock, it is too small. Yes, sometimes equally small flocks breed elsewhere (here Chomutov has eggs annualy in their flock of 7.10 Greater flamingos), but it is not the general rule. Auckland should experiment with enclosure/husbandry a little I think, before the flock will diminish even further.

13. zooboy28

Here is an article on the flamingoes arrival at Auckland Zoo: Hand-rearing Greater flamingos Phoenicopterus ruber roseus for translocation from WWT Slimbridge to Auckland Zoo - BATTY - 2006 - International Zoo Yearbook - Wiley Online Library. As I understand it, they are just reaching sexual maturity now, and the behaviour exhibited suggests that everything is normal for birds that age.

14. Jabiru96

I thought that 16 of them came to Auckland in 2001, a few years after the opening of Pridelands/Hippo River? From what I read, flamingos sexualy mature at 2-3 years of age so, even though they still have many years to live, wouldn't the remaining birds (didn't a few die?) have already at least produced one viable (fertile) egg?

Maybe it is something to do with fertility of the males, flock size or environment? But you wouldn't think so because Slimbridge has a large flock size and is in a cold climate? Who knows? And the keepers were trained by Slimbridge so I wouldn't think husbandry would be an issue.

15. zooboy28

I don't think there are any immediate concerns about the lack of breeding yet, or worrying about a diminished flock. The 8.8 birds are 11 years old now, so short of a disaster, they shouldn't be dieing out anytime soon. Experimenting with the enclosure, and to a lesser extent husbandry, should be left for a few years to see if there actually are any breeding problems.

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the zoo imported 20 birds (10.10). Two died in quarantine in 2001, and one was killed by a zoo visitor in 2002 (rocks were thrown at it and its legs were broken). I'm not sure what happened to the fourth bird that died (I thought two had been killed in the rock attack but the newspaper report I found said only one).

Here's the report: Zoo shocked by flamingo attack | Television New Zealand | News, Sport, Weather, TV ONE, TV2 | TVNZ | NATIONAL News

Here's the IZY article that zooboy28 posted a link to (except this one is one you can actually open and read :p): http://www.flamingoresources.org/docs/literature/hand_rearing_wwt_auckland_jarrett.pdf

I have never understood why the zoo only imported ten pairs. Flamingoes notoriously need large flocks for breeding. Very small flocks like Auckland's can produce eggs but it is in negligible numbers. The stated aim of the import was to start a sustainable flamingo population in NZ, and yet they only brought in the bare minimum. All they are going to achieve is a flock that produces a tiny irregular trickle of new flamingoes, hardly the basis for a sustainable population here. I could understand it if the 2001 import was like a trial run, to see if it all worked out, but there's no sign that that is the case.

There have recently (starting in 2007) been some tentative breeding signs by the birds, but they are now well into breeding age and if there had been a proper number in the flock then breeding would probably have started several years ago.

Like jay a few posts back, I'm sure I'd heard or read somewhere that the zoo was now thinking of the birds more as display than as a proper breeding flock.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2012
  17. zooboy28

Ok, so what I have been reading was a bit out of date, hasn't been updated since 2006 (when the birds were reaching maturity and exhibiting nesting behaviour). I can't find anything more recent about their status. It might make sense for Auckland Zoo to not have them breeding, as they might be difficult/impossible to get into Australia, and no-one else wants to hold them in NZ. Its not like they would be expected to die out quickly.

Sorry about the link, I can read the paper there.

18. Jabiru96

Interesting. Do you know if other New Zealand zoos plan to import flamingo, or if they are even allowed now after the Bird Flu epidemic?

19. Chlidonias

there shouldn't be any problem with more flamingoes being imported, but it is pretty expensive of course with all the procedure that needs to be gone through. I don't know if any other zoos want to import. I'd bet, however, that if Auckland had a proper flock and was producing a lot of chicks then the other main zoos would be very interested in taking the surplus.

20. Chlidonias

I should make clear that I don't know if it is true or not, it just rings a bell (but otherwise it should definitely not be considered a definite on the subject!)