Join our zoo community

Should alcoholic beverages be allowed on zoo grounds?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by DeydraOZ, 26 Jun 2013.

1. DeydraOZ

DeydraOZ Well-Known Member

Kind of a random thought Iv'e had after seeing posts on facebook pages from zoos that have at one time or another sold beer on grounds.
    One was the case of selling alcohol during regular zoo hours, and the other was during a concert on zoo grounds.

Should the selling of alcoholic beverages be allowed on zoo grounds? Is there any regulation of the sales?
    I'd imagine it is up to the buyer to know their limits.

Also, not trying to harp on anything, I just thought I'd get your feedback on this to see what you guys think.

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't see why it should not be allowed, there is a a difference between drinking 10 beers or drink 1 or 2 on a nice afternoon when you have a day out with the family. People do not go to a zoo to get drunk, but beer can be very enjoyable, so why not.

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Timely topic, as just last weekend (or was it the weekend before), my zoo hosted our first Zoo Brew, which they plan to make an annual event. It is a Saturday night 21 and older only event, where local micro breweries pass out free samples.

I am personally anti-alcohol, have never had a drink in my life, and am dismayed at this new "tradition" they are starting. Contrary to the above post about one beer on an afternoon (which may well be true during regular hours), this was pay a high admission and you are given a glass that entitles you to unlimited samples. They tried to keep people safe by offering a "discount" to designated drivers (but why not make them free I would ask)? In a crowd that size I can guarantee you people were driving home intoxicated and I suppose our new "tradition" will be an annual event until someone gets killed by one of the participants on their way home.

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

btw: Pairi Daiza even has its own brewery, they seem to make very nice Belgian beer :)

5. DeydraOZ

DeydraOZ Well-Known Member

Huh, speaking of a Zoo Brew I think my old hometown zoo has discontinued their Zoo Brew...which is kinda sad because it's the Oregon Zoo... in Portland, that I think it pretty known for its beers. It looks like they ended it because of the future construction that will limit space for the event (I'm not sure what that has anything to do with it...) and that it has been a reduced financial return for the Foundation that runs the events.

I personally think beer is icky (never found a good beer) but that won't stop me from letting other people enjoy it. Just as long as they drink responsibly :D

6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

http://www.zoochat.com/2/devils-juice-235390/

Here's a thread I started a while ago about this very topic, should get some idea about zoochatters feelings on beer. It does go off on a tangent halfway through but quite a good read nonetheless.

I'm all for a beer in the afternoon personally. :)

7. khakibob

khakibob Well-Known Member

I often use molasses as a medium to deliver minerals & supplements. If I'm feeling generous & the weather & conditions allow I occasionally water the blackstrap down to about 20% molasses & 80% warm water & throw in a little bakers yeast & let it sit a day or so. To say the animals enjoy it would be an understatement. They don't get too much, or have it too often, but its another form of enrichment which they get to enjoy in moderation when it is suitable. (I consider it no different to the rare occasions animals might find fermented fruit in the wild)

I won't be putting my animals on the wagon soon!

Cheers Khakibob

8. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Birmingham doesn't sell beer but a local micro brewery makes a special beer named after the Zoo's first elephant Miss Fancy (back like 80 yrs ago) because the Brewery is in Avondale the neighborhood the first Birmingham Zoo was located. She is also their mascot. The stories go that when she was aging the only thing that could treat her stomach ailment was beer but this was during prohibition. They kept a special reserve of confiscated hooch for her that I am sure none of the keepers imbibed in. A percentage of sales from that blend of beer go to the park. Birmingham is a city very friendly with its beer a good bar and microbrewery scene even has its own brewfest,

FLAGSHIP | Avondale Brewing

9. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I can think of many venues and occasions where I feared that the chance for abuse of alcohol was too great and the world would be taken over by drunken rowdies. It has almost never happened.
    If one discounts events where teens are included in large numbers, or even those catering exclusively to those around 20, then when adults (of all ages) make up the audience it seems to be the rare fool who makes bad decisions.
    So I don't see any issue with zoos and beer.
    ArizonaDocent's concerns about potential for drunk drivers is not specific to zoo patrons. So his reply really suggests a wish to ban alcohol altogether.
    khakibob's recipe had me gagging a bit until I read far enough to realize that it is not he who drinks this stuff :p

10. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cheers to you as well just none of Bob's hooch

11. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They sold beer in Budapest (and maybe other European zoos?), and to be honest I just loved the combination of two of my favourite things!

12. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Most zoos have a bar or restaurant, even here in the UK. I find nothing wrong with a beer in the zoo and I highly doubt there is anyone who actually goes to the zoo to just drink... :D

13. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Exactly, who would choose to pay the £4 for a bottle of lager they charge at ZSL, if they wanted just to drink , people would sit at home with a case full for the price of 2 bottles! The odd beer at the zoo can't do anyone any harm surely.

14. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

IMO zoos are not an appropriate place to serve alcohol, I think people can go a few hours without alcohol, zoos are family and child friendly environments and most of all are educational places to learn about animals, zoos are not the place to impair your judgement, it only takes one person to exercise bad judgement and put an animal at risk or stress them out.

15. demoneyes

demoneyes New Member

Human adults are very capable of making decisions for themselves. Most zoos could benefit from the extra profit of a pint or two bought by guests, and I doubt that many people would even be drinking to inebriation.

16. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

In my experiences the US and to a lesser extent the UK, many people seem to see alcohol as some kind of drug that is wrong and will lead to an early grave. However in France (from living their experience) and many other parts of Europe its really normal to have a glass of wine or a beer with a lunch time meal or an afternoon ‘quick slurp’ (the late great Keith Floyd). Rarely is it exceeded into more than two glasses. Whilst driving in France it is even common to have a small glass of wine included with a meal at a service station, I have seen this many times. As for myself at zoos, if they sell it I don’t have a beer but will certainly opt for a shandy (half lemonade half beer mix) over a soft drink if available.

17. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Exactly, I find many attitudes to alcohol in the States bizarrely puritanical, even the age limit: you can get married, die for your country, own a gun but god forbid you should have a beer.

18. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

While I´m an abstinent myself, I see no reason to prohibit alcohol in zoos. It has been a few years since I´ve seen any drunken visitor within zoo grounds.

My problem is rather food and drinks offered for children in most zoos. High on suggar and fat, low quality fast food, totaly unhealthy. Even well taught children seem to start begging their parents to buy them junk food during a zoo trip, and parents seem to give in.

19. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I agree entirely, far more problematic and in terms of obesity, diabetes, tooth decay and other health issues, sugary soft drinks are just as much to worry about as alcohol.

20. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And problem is, junk food is often not restricted to the kids' menu. Far too many zoos don't serve good, nutrient food at all so both adults and kids have to eat that, well, rather unhealthy food.

As to the topic, I generally don't mind alcoholic beverages. As for myself, I've several times enjoyed a cool draft beer on a hot summer day in the zoo. Though if they want, they could restrict it to just beer and wine. I don't mind liquor and I don't mind people getting drunk at the right times and places, but the zoo is not the right time and place. And beer and wine is a bit harder to get drunk in than 40 percent booze.
    However, if someone - especially a parent - really chooses to get piss drunk in a zoo, there's a fair chance that he/she would drink his brain out at other inappropriate occasions. In that case, it is the person and not the zoo which has done wrong.

All in all: I don't think a zoo should have an outright cocktail bar, but otherwise I'll say "go for it". If a problem with drunken guests arises, then the zoo could possibly look at some restrictions or, in very severe cases, a ban to prevent the problem.