Join our zoo community

SI Pied Oystercatchers in captivity?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by esch052, 27 Oct 2013.

1. esch052

esch052 New Member

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you would know which zoos/parks hold South Island Pied Oystercatchers in captivity? I know of some of the larger ones, like Orana Wildlife Park and Queenstown Kiwi Birdlife Park, but wondered if there were others you knew of? The reason why I am trying to find out is that we have a SIPO at the rescue centre I volunteer with that we are trying to find a captive home for as she cannot be released into the wild. Any suggestions of possible places (anywhere in NZ) that we can contact are greatly appreciated! :)

Cheers,
    Emma

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Otorohanga has variable oystercatchers.
    Queenstown Kiwi Birdlife Park has S.I. pied oystercatchers.
    Orana Park has S. I. pied oystercatchers.

I can't think of any other collections with oystercatchers off the top of my head.

Auckland Zoo may be interested although they have no oystercatchers currently, and same for Wellington Zoo. Smaller collections you could try are Willowbank and Nga Manu.

3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Chlidonias summed it up pretty well, although according to this years census, Otorohanga also have SIPO, with a total of 1.3.2 across the three institutions. However, they are all listing this species as phase out, so might not be keen to add a rescue bird to their collections. Variable Oystercatchers are a monitored species, so have priority, so other zoos (e.g. Auckland) might not be keen to acquire SIPO. Possibly one of the private or DOC facilities might be better, e.g. Nga Manu and Willowbank as Chlidonias suggested.

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hello esch052, would it be possible to make some pictures of your resqued bird, would love to see it ! The only Oystercatcher I've seen, taken care for and bred sofar is the European Oystercatcher.

5. esch052

esch052 New Member

Thanks very much for your replies so far Chlidonias and zooboy28! I have tried Orana and Kiwi Birdlife Park but unfortunately I believe they too are trying to phase out the SIPO as well. I will give the others a try though! Thank you so much for your help- I really hope we can find this guy a home :)

vogelcommando, the only photo I have on hand is this one from our facebook page, when he was being treated by the vet. He's looking in better condition than that now! (I have tried to attach it)

hope that shows up! you can see more pics from this awesome website: South Island pied oystercatcher | New Zealand Birds Online

thanks again everyone!
    Emma

Attached Files:

Last edited: 28 Oct 2013
  6. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

An update on the oystercatcher from the NZ Bird Rescue Trust's Facebook page:

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you for posting the picture and the website !