Join our zoo community

Port Lympne Wild Animal Park Siamangs

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Al, 13 Jul 2008.

Tags:
  1. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Has anyone been here recently or howletts? isis is only listing 2.0 siamang! have the rest left the collections?

2. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think this number is probably correct - I was down there a few weeks ago and was very surprised to find none at Howletts and just a single enclosure at Port Lympne. It seems only a few years ago that there several groups between the two parks.

3. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

thanks rob, there were at least four groups when i was there a few years ago, perhaps they have made way for their increasing moloch population

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There used to be Siamangs in at least one, possibly two of the old 'wood & mesh' enclosures in the woodland walk behind the mansion at Howletts. Nowadays most of those cages seem semi- derelict- they're certainly a far cry from the excellent extensive primate enclosures they are doing nowdays. I only wish some more could be built for the other groups of Colobus, Drills, Dianas and other primate species, a number of which still live in the old-style cages.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2008
  5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Yes you are right there were at least two pairs in that woodland walk in the late 80s (with young) but I am sure they had more of them in other enclosures