Join our zoo community

Silent Forest Campaign

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 7 Nov 2020.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

What is going on with the EAZA "Silent Forest / Asian Songbird Crisis Campaign" in zoos in Europe ?

I heard fairly recently from a zoochatter that this program may be in trouble and is being discontinued in and across European zoos.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2020
  2. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

I really have no Idea what this is, but it sounds interesting.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

4. CheeseChameleon1945

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

You mean about the program being discontinued ?

I only heard about it from a zoochatter and I have no idea if or why it would be being discontinued.

It seems like a brilliant campaign / initiative that combines ex-situ and in-situ conservation and public awareness raising / environmental education.

This is why I am asking the question to find out if anyone knows more about this.

6. CheeseChameleon1945

Yes, I mean about the program being discontinued, sorry for not being that clear. Where on zoochat did you hear this may I ask? And it does sound very brilliant, I too have no Idea why the program was stopped. I am sorry but I only just googled it when I first saw this thread, so I have pretty much no Idea about this.

7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, I gathered from your first comment that you hadn't heard about it before.

I heard it from @ThylacineAlive I believe in a comment in the zoochat media gallery.

This was probably over a month ago and it just came to mind now so I wanted to see if anyone knows any more about this.

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  8. CheeseChameleon1945

Well now that you mentioned him, he will probably see this and hopefully provide a little more insight towards this canceled campaign. :)

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I hope so, as I would really like to know what is going on with it and why it may be in trouble.

10. CheeseChameleon1945

And it is truly a shame, since many of Asia's songbirds are endangered, and are precious and and visually stunning, and I would hate to have any of these marvelous animals to be wiped out. :(

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, it is, I agree.

If the campaign is being discontinued (and I'll wait for someone better informed than I am about if this is indeed what is happening) then it is also more than a little irritating and disappointing too.

12. CheeseChameleon1945

Yes, there is a possibility it is still taking place, and I do sure hope that it isn't discontinued.

13. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

14. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

But, as it says at the end of the link, they are still supporting in-situ projects for the conservation of these songbirds, in a lesser extent. It is now a project entirely managed by the songbird TAG, with them still fundraising to donate to in-situ NGOs in Southeast Asia.

15. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

If I understand correctly it was always supposed to be a time limited conservation campaign focussing on specific issues.

EDIT: this is the current campaign

According to the website

Silent Forest was the first EAZA conservation campaign focused primarily on birds, particularly songbirds of Southeast Asia. Songbirds have become the subject of an excessive and strong culturally rooted consumption for trade, singing competitions, pet trade, export traditional medicine and food. The Campaign ran from 2017-2019

What we do now
    The Silent Forest Group is a working group of the EAZA Songbird Taxon Advisory Group collecting and sharing information on the Asian Songbird Crisis caused by unsustainable and illegal trade. Actively fundraising, providing project management and technical support services for in-situ PROJECTS. Overseeing and linking relevant ex-situ PROGRAMS sharing resources. Promoting songbirds, increasing knowledge, awareness, and commitment to action with educational ACTIVITIES within and beyond the zoo community.

16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

My bad guys.

I should have read through the page more thoroughly as I just assumed it was a long term project by zoos rather than one with a set end date.

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for your comment @Jungle Man :)

Great to hear that it will continue to support in-situ projects and fundraising for NGOs in South-East Asia !

That is very encouraging ! :D

18. CheeseChameleon1945

No worries, I had no idea either, we all make mistakes. :)

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Not worried about it at all.

I'm actually just relieved that efforts continue to try to bolster ex-situ populations, support in-situ work and raise awareness.

20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Found this paper "The elephant in the room: addressing the Asian songbird crisis".

It was written before the beginning of the campaign and discusses in depth the crisis of capture of wild birds for the caged songbird trade in Asia and the inspiration for the "silent forest" initiative in zoos.

Very interesting, well worth a read for anyone interested and it is free with no paywall so I'll post a link to it below :

https://www.silentforest.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Elephant-in-Room.pdf