Join our zoo community

Singapore Night Safari Singapore Night Safari News

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Ituri, 28 Feb 2009.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Zooish, that is good to know :)
    I wonder if they were removed to change visitor's expectations of the tram ride, given these species can be skipped over on some rides, and that may disappoint visitors expecting to see them.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. zooboy28

Thanks for the update @Calyptorhynchus!
    Do you, or anyone else, know where this new exhibit is located within Night Safari, and if it replaced anything? What species of mouse deer is meant by "spotted" - was it one previously on display at Night Safari and/or Zoo?

Have there been any other changes at the Night Safari recently? The website still lists the Wallaby Trail as new, despite having been open for over five years...

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

That's the Sri Lankan Mouse Deer.

zooboy28 likes this.
  4. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@zooboy28 the new mixed exhibit was the former leopard cat exhibit along Leopard Trail. It houses the Sunda scops owl, collared owlet and yellow-striped mousedeer (that have been off show since the Zoo's Critters Longhouse closed).

Some of the bird park's owls (from the closed World of Darkness exhibit) will be gradually put on display at Night Safari.

I don't expect any major changes at Night Safari until construction on the new Rainforest Park South section starts sometime in late 2018 or 2019.

5. zooboy28

Thanks for the info @Chlidonias and @Zooish - exciting that collared owlet are on display too!

What is currently displayed at the tram stop by sloth bears? It was awesome porcupines, but they were replaced I think...

6. Zooish

New websites for the WRS parks are in the works. You can have a look at the beta test site if you're interested:

Wildlife Reserves Singapore

Do you mean the small glass-fronted display next to the tram stop? It was cloud rat and long tailed porcupine, but recently converted to house the leopard cats (photo in gallery).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. zooboy28

Thanks, I hadn't seen the latest uploads in that gallery, thanks for posting them! It does look like that exhibit has improved, although I would rather see the cloud rat and long tailed porcupine than leopard cat!

The new websites look cool, the interactive maps that allow planning of itineraries are cool, might play around with those a bit!

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am sure it is / was needed as the old site was certainly at times difficult to wade thru to where one would want to be or what info one was seeking.

BTW: You have access to readable versions of the more recent WRS Annual Reports, some of the PDF-files are damaged and completely unreadable ...

9. Zooish

That's odd. I have no issues downloading the reports off either the current or beta websites.

10. Kifaru Bwana

Nope, that is most very true Zooish (as I have surfed through some of it yesterday). I should have written that I meant the old site where 1 or 2 turned up as a gibberish pidgin left out digits non tekst PDF file.

The new BETA site is a definite improvement. One was encouraged to comment on the site and did so. The information one is looking to find can be found much more easily now. The old one was an absolute headache at times.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Any news on the Indian rhino front?

12. Zooish

I believe there are only 2 females at Night Safari and they are trying to get a male.

13. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A male rhino from Edinburgh will soon move to Asia, so maybe these females are the lucky ones ;)

14. Kifaru Bwana

The females at Singapore sadly are both rather old, never or in case of the younger female reproduced (a long time ago)and little if any new prospects at successful breeding.

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. Zooish

Kifaru Bwana and FunkyGibbon like this.
  16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

It looks like a Red Giant (P. petaurista), with those black eye-rings. I don't know which subspecies though.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. Senapus

Senapus Well-Known Member

Two sloth bear cubs are born to HELGA and KRISHNA. Both cubs will be handraised. Could anyone help me with the sloth bears in Singapore? I know HELGA and NICI arrived from Germany. But where came KRISHNA from and are there other sloth bears in Singapore?

18. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Krishna came to Singapore from Mysore Zoo, India, in 2013.
    I think Krishna, Helga and Nici are the only adult Sloth Bears in Singapore.

19. Senapus

Senapus Well-Known Member

Thank you Mike!

20. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do NIght Safari still have Asiatic Golden Cat? They seems to be missing from the map.