Join our zoo community

Singapore Zoo Singapore Zoo news 2007-2008

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Zooish, 8 Jan 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At Nightshades:

I want you to know that Zooish in no way said he represented the Singapore Zoo, or the Night Safari. Nor did he ever said anything disrespectful or critizising about either establisment. He seems to share what he knows/hears, and does so (in my opinion) with flair and dignity.

If he's posted photo's without permission then that's regrettable. If he's posted false information then i'm sure that was unintended and not to bring your zoos into discredit.

His contribution to this forum has been exemplary and i hope that you will not feel too disgruntled about this.

On a plus note, i hope you will be able to provide more (even better) information to us then anyone else on this forum about the comings and goings at the Singapore Night Safari, i would be terribly pleased to visit your zoo one day...

2. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

I'd also like to point out that Zoosih is a great guy, he did never disrespect Singapore zoo or Night Safari for that matter, I can understand that you would be angry that he posted photos without your consent, but I'm sure he meant no disrespect, a lot of the members here look up to him,

Another member from Singapore is a great note though, Nightshades would you be able to answer any of my questions that Zooish did not have the answers to? ( no offence to Zooish)

3. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nightshades,

Regarding the information on Chawang, it was drawn from Wednesday's (30 Jul) SPH MyPaper page B3 (ÎÒ±¨). If WRS had not released such information to the press, then I do not know where the papers got their info. I did not make up the story myself, neither do i dispute your version.

As for the photos, I apologize if you are offended in any way by having them posted in this forum. My intent was to showcase the Zoo/Night Safari to this international community of zoo enthusiasts, and the photos have been duly credited to yourself. Nonetheless, they will be removed.

I have no intention of being an official spokesperson, neither have I claimed to represent the WRS. The info I've posted either constitute my own opinions, info gathered from conversations with staff/ex-staff or through public channels. This forum is made up mostly of laymen who are interested in zoos. Many post detailed information about the various zoos around the world, almost all with pride for their own national zoo. Like what the other forumers have mentioned, I have not slandered the Zoo or Night Safari in any way through my postings, if anything most of my posts are in praise of the parks. I have always taken an objective view on controversial issues, and this being a public forum, everyone should be entitled to air their views.

To dragon(ele)nerd, jwer, thanks for the kind words.

Since a Singapore Zoo official has spoken up, I will respect his decision and refrain from posting hearsay or info conveyed to me personally. And as all other Singapore Zoo-related info is available on the public domain, there is little necessity for me to post on this forum anymore. I hope i've shared some valuable info with everyone who has been interested in Singapore's animal parks and provided a better understanding of them. The Assistant Curator himself has joined this forum, its better to let him provide you guys with the info in future.

4. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Zooish, in my experiance mistakes happen. When as you have done l apolagise and try to wright the wrong. I try to learn from this and put it down to experiance. When i was 19 l did something almost exactly as you have done and suffered huge punishment. I also stopped for a period of time paticipating and enjoy my passion for zoos.

What l would hope is that you contiue on as part of Zoobeat. As l am sure we would all miss you.

5. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Zooish you will be missed by many good luck in the future,

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dear Nightshades,

I would lilke to come out in support of my fellow forumster Zooish and speak out on his behalf. To our best knowledge Zooish has always presented a fair and independent view of the Singapore Zoo or Night Zoo to his fellow members on this forum. He has never discredited nor pretended to speak on behalf of Singapore Zoo management.

With respect to the photos published it would perhaps have been better if he had sought prior permission from you before posting them on the net. He has made a public apology - and perhaps privately too - and has promised to delete these from this forum. This should be the end of that.

I in no way think that it is necessary for Zooish to no longer provide his personal perspective on Singapore or the Night Zoo on this forum or any other zoo in the region and beyond for that matter. This would compromise the very being of this forum to all posters.

As to the value of this forum to all members, I would like to put to you that this forum is an open information source and all who share this space are interested and committed zoo goers, members of societies or even staffers. What counts for this forum is that a deep and intimate understanding of zoos and general information sharing and discussion on topical subjects and the diverse perspectives all forumsters give on eachothers' regions zoos, trends and developments benefits all who are part of this on line community.

We - thank goodness - have left the dark ages of no or misinformation on this Planet of ours and the net is a powerful information source to bring all informaton quickly to all interested parties. I hope that you will respect that.

Finally, if you feel the need to post on Zooish' actions and perceived misdemeanors on this forum - I respect your professional perspective and loyality to Singapore Zoo management -, but is it your intention to post on Singapore Zoo comings and goings, new developments at all on this forum in future (which I am sure all of us would be very interested to learn from and discuss)?

I await your opinionated response.

Jelle

amur leopard likes this.
  7. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zooish, I have enjoyed your posts very much and read them with great interest. I hope very much that you won`t stop posting!! Most members here don`t browse on Singapore newspaper websites regularly so even if informations about the Singapore Zoo are made public, we often won`t hear about it. SO please keep us informed! It`s always better not to rely on just one person to post information, and we don`t even know yet if Nightshades will come back and share information with us. And even if he will, it never hurts to get more then one perspective. Just look how many people are posting about zoo news from the UK, the Netherlands or Germany!

All the best, Yassa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.