Join our zoo community

Singapore Zoo Singapore Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by TheDisneyTeen, 17 Mar 2016.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Thanks Zooish. Has that replaced anything? Is the Goeldi's monkey exhibit still there? Do the orangutans just get taken there daily, but still have accommodation in the main area, or has new housing been built as well?

Do you know of any plans for the old elephant ride/bath area?

2. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@zooboy28: Nope it just uses the tree canopy. No changes on the ground. The apes get buggy-ed there from the main exhibit/den.

You must be thinking about the Garden Pavilion since you asked about the Goeldi's. The orang utan free ranging area is next to Pavilion by the Lake. I'll post a pic soon. The little island that previously held Goeldi's is still there, but some other specie will take over it.

The Goeldi's and another specie(s) of callitrichid will have a new glass-fronted display outside Fragile Forest. Should open by July.

The elephant bath and ride area is currently being used to house Black Pond Turtles (over 100 confiscated specimens), elongated tortoises and recently arrived Burmese Roofed Terrapins.

3. TheDisneyTeen

TheDisneyTeen Member

Where exactly is that?

4. zooboy28

Thanks Zooish, that makes sense - I see Pavilion by the Lake on the map now.

Re. Fragile Forest, where will the callitrichids have exhibits? At the exit (I saw Prevost's squirrels (and another species) in there last December), or in the enclosure that held Golden(-headed?) Lion Tamarins (I think) near the safari bus stop? Or a totally new exhibit altogether?

5. zooboy28

It's on the pond that is overlooked by the Garden Pavilion (on the Primate Kingdom side). It's one of the zoo's more subtle exhibits, and I missed it on my first visit, so was quite surprised to stumble upon it on my second!

6. Zooish

It's where the enclosure that held the Golden-headed Lion Tamarins was. That enclosure has been torn down and 2 larger enclosures have been built there.

7. TheDisneyTeen

TheDisneyTeen Member

Ah, thanks!! Now I feel ashamed because I haven't come across it before, whoops...
    Well I'm hoping that the golden lion tamarins housed in the oddly located and rather badly maintained enclosure in the reptile garden area will be moved to this new exhibit too. Lion tamarins don't seem to have much luck here, do they? ( ehem referring to the horribly located enclosure with the reflective glass front in river safari too :p)

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1.1 Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo will arrive from Adelaide and Taronga next week

Are they replacing the Koalas?

9. zooboy28

There is an existing Tree Kangaroo exhibit in the Australasian zone, and the conditions are probably more suitable for Tree Kangaroos outside than in the Koala house.

10. Zooish

Actually the Tree Kangaroos will move into the slightly-modified but still air-conditioned former koala house. It could be an interim arrangement until the Zoo decides that it is ready to acquire koalas permanently.

But you're right, the tree kangaroos were doing well in the outdoor exhibit and the indoor exhibit seems unnecessary for this species.

11. TheDisneyTeen

TheDisneyTeen Member

Do you know what replaces the tree kangaroos in the outdoor exhibit then? Hold on.... has the Australian Outback zone reopened already? :D

12. Zooish

Probably nothing. If not maybe a surplus Goodfellow's. The "new" Australasian Zone will open in August when Makaia is done with quarantine.

13. zooboy28

Interesting. I guess having the building open to visitors (also serving as a refuge from the weather) might be better than than leaving it empty.

The new map on the Singapore Zoo website shows the tree kangaroos at the house. It also shows the location of the new orangutan area, and that the penguin enclosure and entrance to fragile forest are both being upgraded. Does the latter refer to new tamarin enclosures or something else?

14. Zooish

@zooboy28: The tamarin enclosures are indicated on the map with the Pygmy Marmoset icon. Currently houses the Pygmy Marmosets with Goeldi's Monkey in one enclosure, and White-lipped Tamarin in the other.

Fragile Forest indoor areas will be given a makeover I think. But that will probably be scheduled after the Australasian Zone reopens.

15. zooboy28

Oh cool, are these similar exhibits to that at the River Safari for Golden-headed Lion Tamarins? Are there still tamarins displayed on that small island-type exhibit near the Reptile Garden (by the Reservoir)?

16. Zooish

Larger and better designed than the River Safari exhibit, with no glare issues. Photos coming soon.

Yes the Golden-headed Lion Tamarins are still at the exhibit in the Zoo.

17. Calyptorhynchus

Calyptorhynchus Well-Known Member

Was told that the zoo will be remodelling the snake house later in the year. Also, the Fragile Forest will have some upgrading works done. No details yet, so not sure if there will be new species in or just general touch ups.

18. TheDisneyTeen

TheDisneyTeen Member

Wow... another reptile based project. Seems like the new curator for herpetology is really pushing for improvements in the zoo in that aspect, which is nice to see, especially since in general few regular zoo-goers are there for the snakes.

Though unlikely to happen, hope that the Fragile forest will become geographically themed instead of the current mash up it is right now.

19. Zooish

Or rather, the new curator was hired because WRS had planned to improve its reptile collection. ;)

But he is doing a good job nonetheless.

20. zooboy28

How soon? :D:p