Join our zoo community

Single Individual? You Are Banned!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by snowleopard, 11 Nov 2014.

1. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Why? Did you have any intention of visiting this place before hand? Had you even heard of it? They haven't accused you of anything, you know their stance, why do you want to go out of your way stir things up? Why don't you just do as i am going to do and boycott the place.

2. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

Visiting zoo on your own?, speeking as a 52 year old I do not like doing it, I no longer have friends or family members who are interested in accompanying me on a visit, thus my zoo visits are less frequent these days, I do go to London on my own still these days, it is either that or not going at all, I used to go to Twycross also on my own in happier days when I used to enjoy seeing staff members as well as the animals, I last went there last year and although a pleasure to see my favourite animals I found it a lonely experience, personally I feal like a saddo when going on my own, I would like to take the opportunity of going to Flamingo Land during its winter opening, but it is only open weekends and when the schools are off, this is why I have never got round to going, I would feel out of place. Regarding this establishment which has banned adults from visiting on there own, well persoanally I am not going to loose any sleep over that, I hadn't even heard of the place before this matter was raised, and the best way any single zoo enthusiast can protest about their decision is to just keep away, although looking at the bigger picture we all know that there is plenty of evil scum out there who will use zoos and other places where children visit to satisfy their twisted perversions, a shame that the innocent zoo anorak has to suffer in the process though.

3. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Somebody should tell Puxton Park most pedophile crimes against children happen in the family...

4. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I had no intention of visitin the place before hand,.

I had not heard of it until this week

They have not accused anyone of anything, but they are implying that single visitors are a danger to children.

They have lied in saying that their policy is common in the UK

I enjoy stiring things up, I see it as an insult to all single male visitors, besides it will give their PR department something to do

I will boycott the place, and hopefully it will run out of money and close

Replying to an email is a matter of courtesy, the fact that they have done so is just rudeness on their part.

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wonder how they would react if a single teenager such as myself were to show up.

~Thylo:cool:

6. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

:D Outraged, from Stoke on Trent. :D

7. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

hehe you'd be disappointed with many US zoos then.

~Thylo:cool:

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Its not the sort of place I would ever be interested in visiting anyway, but simply boycotting it won't ever make them aware people other than the man who was refused entry, are at odds with this policy-or why.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2014
  9. Pertinax

I am quite the reverse. I have always enjoyed going to Zoos on my own and far prefer it, with a very few exceptions, to having company. I can see far more and look at what I like, when I like and for as long as I like.:)

If I was ever challenged over single entry, I'd do what someone else said on this thread-get annoyed (probably), ask to see the management, explain my history, show a zoo-related card or whatever.

I do think this is an isolated incident at present but I am quite sure they are wrong in saying its common practise in all other similar places, though it may be some which are particularly child-orientated. Though as children are always chaperoned in such places, I cannot see the point of such a ruling anyway. Hopefully it will never arise in mainstream zoos though.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2014
  10. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A ruling such as this one sets an ugly precedent and is entirely unnecessary, as it appears to be a petting zoo/playground that would attract very few single adults anyway.
    How offensive can it get, to be informed that single status automatically disqualifies you from entry.

11. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

I never feel like a "saddo" when going round a zoo on my own. I quite like it, as it means I can spend as much time as I like looking into each exhibit without worrying about whether my friends are getting bored. I can look at which animals I want, in the order I want, and ignore those in which I am less interested. The main downside is that if I see a quirky animal I've never seen before or a particularly exciting exhibit, I have no one with whom to communicate my excitement. However, I do also go to the theatre and the cinema on my own, and then, I must admit, I do feel a bit of a "saddo" as everyone else in the auditorium does seem to have somebody.

12. Pertinax

Exactly what I said above.;) Actually I'd think twice about ever being accompanied! Its a different scenario somehow from being 'solitary' at cinemas or theatres, or worst of all, eating out.:(

13. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

To me having dinner in the zoo restraunt alone is the worst part of a zoo visit when unaccompanied:) I wonder out of interest what percentage of zoo visitors go alone, I would suggest it will be less than one pere cent.

14. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

I rarely stop to eat in the zoo restaurant or cafeteria, as it eats into (no pun intended) the time I have wandering round the zoo. I usually take along a few sandwiches and a flask of tea, and eat as I'm walking round, or sit down for a few minutes on one of the benches.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2014
  15. Pertinax

Same here. Apart from the time factor, cost and quality of 'zoo food' is sometimes questionable too- and cafeterias crammed with families with screaming or badly behaved children are another downside.

16. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

On the subject of badly behaved children, I've often wondered whether the perceived threat of lone adults could be used as a lever in getting teachers to actually accompany their school groups around zoos. But it obviously doesn't feature too highly on their pre-visit risk assessments.

17. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's a rare occasion when I eat in a zoo cafe and even rarer when I take the kids in to one to eat as five meals in a zoo comes to more than a pretty penny. I often frequent the bar though, without the kids in tow! ;)

Back to the original point now; on a recent visit to Shaldon I went alone quite late in the day. I'd phoned ahead to make sure I wouldn't miss last admission (it was getting on for 3pm) and when I arrived I couldn't have been made more welcome. I was asked upon entry what my specific interests were, was led backwards through the nocturnal house to see the margays and when 3.30 came around a keeper came and found me just to take me back to the Owston's palm civet feed.
    All this happened whilst I was alone and no-one seemed to care that I was a single man with a camera around small children. So for this other place (of which I've never heard of before) should take note!

18. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

There is a good chance you would find a single male also 52 years old there (although to be fair if I make it, and hopefully I shall, I shall be 53 by the time of my next visit)! I have never felt out of place trundling around Flamingo Land on my own, but then I very rarely visit anywhere with anyone else and if I do it feels unusual in the extreme.

I eat in (well, outside if possible) zoo restaurants when I'm on holiday and I have never given it a second thought. I have been to a few concerts as well this year and not once thought it was odd that I was on my own. Maybe I am just used to being a solitary individual!!

19. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Talking to strangers is fine statistically. It's people you know that you need to watch out for.

20. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

My biggest issue with this is that they are actually encouraging a false sense of security which, if anything, will make children more vulnerable in their setting.
    The vast majority of abuse toward children is from people they know. However creating a place where some parents feel overly safe, therefore letting their guard down that little bit more just makes the minuscule risk of something happening in such a setting slightly higher.

It's a massive over-reaction anyway, but it's also poorly thought out. The idea that children are safer among families is misguided and statistically wrong!

It's beyond stupid that I'm safe if I have my children with me - and therefore I look less 'frightening' to other children and no-one would bat an eyelid at me approaching another child -, but I'm a danger when I stick out like a sore thumb amongst the family groups!

I occasionally enjoy going off to the zoo on my own - you get a much better day out with the camera without the children, it's a completely different type of day out and I don't think anyone going alone is a saddo.