Join our zoo community

Skansen-Akvariet Skansen-Akvariet news

Discussion in 'Sweden' started by Thesweham, 16 Jan 2015.

1. Swedish zoo man

Swedish zoo man Well-Known Member

i will miss the gundis and the birds. they got the gundis 2 yers ago and they hav bred. so i dont relly get way to get rid of tehe. plus the bird was the only birds besid some parots in the terarium rom. as a bird lover i will mis them

2. Ortolan bunting

Ortolan bunting Well-Known Member

I Saw a video on One of the zoo keepers Instagram and it appears that (what i think are) dwarf mongoose have been put in the desert enclosure

3. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, those are indeed dwarf mongoose. :)

4. Swedish zoo man

Swedish zoo man Well-Known Member

darf mongoose is a new species for sweden. despit alrdy seing wild ones in south africa. i am hapy to see it in the akverium and a god replesmet for the squirrels

5. Thesweham

Thesweham Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jonas was celebrating the new year to be guest on ''Nyhetsmorgon'' on the Monday with 2 Dwarf mongooses, before he later same day would travel to Zimbabwe.

S-A have totally; 7 Dwarf mangoose but a boost is waiting soon. They got the mangoose from; Beauval (5.0) and Hagenbeck (0.2).

nicholas likes this.
  6. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I visited the Akvariet earlier this week. It was a bit inconsistent combination of aquaria, terraria, glass fronted mammal enclosures, some walktrough exhibits and a large baboon enclosure.

Highlights for me were the first Hoffmann's sloths I've seen in Europe and the good snake collection including seven species of pit vipers and other rarities like inland taipan and boomslang (funny that this is a proper English name!).

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  7. Lota lota

Lota lota Well-Known Member

csartie, lintworm and twilighter like this.
  8. Daniel Sörensen

Daniel Sörensen Birdlover Premium Member 5+ year member

Nice addition with the sengi!

Other news is that they recieved a new male king cobra recently, and on Saturday it succeeded to escape and is still not captured. They closed the facility on Saturday and it's still closed today Monday.

They say they know where the snake is hiding, but that they can not easily get to the spot (it's hiding in the ceiling. Like literally IN the ceiling). They are working with experts and are trying to locate the snake and get it out with the help of cameras etc.

Until the snake is captured the larger building where the snakes are housed (together with the Aquariums etc) is closed off. But you can still visit the rest of the facility and see for example ring-tailed lemurs, baboons, pygmy marmosets, Hoffmann's two-toed sloth (one of the only 6 individuals in European zoos), meerkats, red titis, gold fish/koi and golden lion tamarins.
    They also have free entry right now because of this (you will have to pay entrance to Skansen though first, but the aquarium is free right now because of the situation).

9. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope they at least use the story for marketing :D

10. Lota lota

Zoo closed, snake hunt on after "Houdini" the "clever" king cobra escapes enclosure - CBS News

Here is an article in english for anyone interested.

The culprit is much smaller than the previous king cobra keept in the enclosure,the former being 4 meters while the culprit is "only" 2,5.I actually saw it last thursday.It was really exciting seeing it as it was very active,unlike the previous inhabitant which almost always laid in the far back of the terrarium.

Here you can see the moment when the snake escapes.

Här rymmer kungskobran på Skansen – se videon

Batto likes this.
  11. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good luck to the staff. *crossing fingers*

zoomaniac likes this.
  12. Lota lota

Why?

13. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is this really a serious question???

Batto likes this.
  14. Lota lota

I am confused since it seems like he doesn't wish the staff good luck in finding the snake.But that he rather wishes for the opposite to happen.

15. Batto

I don't want anything bad happen to any fellow professional venomous snake keeper. Especially in such an unfortunate situation. Hence, despite your incorrect insinuation, me wishing them success is 100% genuine.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2022
    Lota lota likes this.
  16. Lota lota

In sweden crossed fingers means you're lying as you will not get punished for the sin of lying if you cross your fingers behind your back while lying.Few people in Sweden actually use the sign to not be punished as most of swedens population are agnostics/atheists.Funny how body language can mean totally different things depending on where in the world you are.

Platypusboy likes this.
  17. Batto

Be careful when applying local / national mannerisms, in particular (tongue-in-cheek) humor and jokes, to ZooChat; some people strive to misinterpret such most negatively...;)

dublinlion and Lota lota like this.
  18. Lota lota

They have decided to stop actively searhing for the snake anymore.They hope that the snake will crawl out by itself if there is less activity.

19. Lota lota

20. Daniel Sörensen

Daniel Sörensen Birdlover Premium Member 5+ year member

And now the snake is captured! (when it was found on Friday it was only located, but not captured yet). So they are open again from today!

Last edited: 30 Oct 2022
    Lota lota and Batto like this.