Join our zoo community

Skimmers (the bird) in zoos?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by condor, 8 May 2012.

1. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Randomly searching, I saw Buttonwood Park Zoo (MA, USA) were supposed to have a black skimmer, Rynchops niger based on ISIS data from May 2011. I hadn't heard about the zoo before and would be interested in details. Are there any other attempts of keeping a skimmer species in captivity? Beyond briefly in wildlife rehabilitation centers where I guess force feeding can be used (obviously not possible if trying to keep it long-term). I'm especially interested in knowing if natural feeding has been achieved by anyone -- it would probably require a huge aviary with a very large water section?

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was curious about your question and did some looking around. I found this newsletter from the Jackson Zoo that says they sent a black skimmer that had been injured in the 2010 Gulf oil spill to another zoo. Maybe that is the one at the Buttonwood Park Zoo? It seems that at least one non-releasable individual has recently been in a zoo.

http://www.jacksonzoo.org/media/pr/JacksonZooNews9.18.10.pdf

3. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Thanks! Yes, it certainly seems likely the skimmer at Buttonwood Park Zoo originated from that source. Unfortunately that also means it may be seriously injured bird, i.e. alternative (unnatural) feeding methods may be necessary.