Join our zoo community

Slimbridge WWT Slimbridge wwt visit 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by adrian1963, 29 May 2015.

1. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Just dropped in yesterday (28/05/2015) for a short visit and a quick look round, must admit being a bird lover I really enjoy visiting this collection mainly due to the fact you can see captive species as well as wild species across the estuary from the hides.

Not a lot really to report but did notice a drop in ALL Flamingo numbers not sure as to whether they were off show or have left the collection in one way or another.

I did no see any James Flamingo's anywhere or any signage around the collection for them in any form what so ever so wonder if they have gone out of this species altogether.

Also noticed they have a pair of Red Crowned Crane's beautifully displaying by the Otter enclosure (opposite that is).

Also on a personal note did get a lifer for Slimbridge a Red Necked Phalarope from the Ziess Hide dropped in for about 3 to 4 hours showing well if you had a good scope that is.

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

They have been down to one for some time - he lives in the 'Andean' flock nearest the visitor centre and is (or at least was earlier this year) labelled as 'Puna Flamingo'. Not heard of anything happening to him.

3. adrian1963

Have rescanned my dvd footage and definiately no Puna/James flamingo and as I said there was no signage anywhere so not looking good for this species in the UK now then.

4. adrian1963

Having got in touch with Slimbridge I can confirm they still currently have just the one James Flamingo, as Maguari says he lives with the Andean Flamingo's & Young Caribbean Flamingo's.

The last remaining James Flamingo in captivity in Europe and at 70+ unfortunately won't be with us for to long, unfortunately they will not be bringing any more in so once the old man has gone then it will be another bird species lost to the UK captive collections

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Good to hear he is is still going.

But sad to see that even a place like Slimbridge has piss poor knowledge,of what is about else where in Europe as he isn't the only one left in Europe,there is a small breeding flock at a little German collection called Zoo Berlin!!!

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes, Berlin have them (10 birds as of March according to Zootierliste, and they have been breeding). Good to know Mr. James is still pottering on, though!

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw Mr James today. He looks fine :)

Alan

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I don't think Adrian was actually quoting what Slimbridge said to him - as such I think the mistake was his, and not theirs.

9. adrian1963

I was quoting exactly what was said over the phone, I uploaded the quote directly after I had come off the phone.

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Fair enough :) if Slimbridge did indeed describe the old bugger as the last in Europe then it was indeed their mistake!

11. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From my following of the very interesting WWT Flamingo Diary on their website , produced by a researcher , I do not get this impression .

The flock of greaters is enormous , produced 30-plus chicks last year and is now nesting in two separate groups in their very impressive new enclosure . The addition of a few new lessers from a closed UK collection ( Blackbrook ? ) has helped stimulate the flock into nest building at present . Both Caribbeans and Chileans bred well last year . They are moving young home-bred flamingos on to other collections to create new , and add to additional flocks .

12. adrian1963

On my visit their appeared to be a drop in numbers since my last visit which was in January of this year as I said maybe some were off show but it did appear to be a case of less numbers than before.

The greater flamingos were in one enclosure only so maybe he others were off show but the Caribbean definitely were down in numbers the Chileans were in two small flocks.

Maybe they were off show due to breeding I did 't really have time to ask anyone.

Must admit I didn't ask if any had been moved on to make way but their were 9 Caribbean in with the Andean.

13. Adrian k

Adrian k Well-Known Member

Mr James still alive and really looking well visited today 05/04/2016